Maternal & Child Community
42 and trying to get pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

42 and trying to get pregnant

I am a 42 years old and trying to get pregnant.  I have a 20 yr old daughter and an 19 mo. old son.  Both pregnancies normal and uneventful.  I was on Clomid for 6 months to no avail.  Month 8, I got pregnant and misscarried very early on (5 day into pregnancy).  

After my period, we make love EVERY OTHER DAY for the rest of the month.  How else can I increase my chances?  We don't have the money for in-vitro nor artificial insemination.  I've been to 2 fertility specialists and short of trying on our own, I need some help.  My time is running out.  

What are my chances of conceiving on my own?  Changes of carrying to term? and chances of any genetic problems (i.e, downs).

Any thing will help at this point.  We are desperate to get pregnant but I'm afraid I just have much time left!

Thank you, Kathi D.
I don't have any advice to increase your chances.  I hope someone else does.

But take a look at this web site.  
http://www.inciid.org/insurance.html
Some states require insurance companies to cover fertility treatments (IVF, etc.).  Maybe you live in one of them?

Good luck,

Melissa
Just to encourage you...my friend is 42 and is pregnant with her 5th!!! her oldest is 6
I would recommend 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' as an excellent way to asses your own fertility as much as you are able.  It talks about charting temperatures and cervical fluid.  Using these methods you can answer a lot of questions:  Am I ovulating?  How long is my luteal phase?  How fertile is my cervical mucus?  When exactly DO I ovulate?

Good luck! :)
Hi Kathi,
I'm 43 and ttc. Actually, I've been ttc for about 4 years... I have a 6 yr old son. The statistics make one despair, but years ago, b4 the pill, women got pg regularly in their 40's. I have heard many, many success stories, and there are message boards for ttc over 40 which have invaluable help and support. There are many ways to inhance fertility at any age. Just start investigating. Good luck and baby dust to all here ttc.
Marisa
Thank you Marissa!  And baby dust to you, too!  You know, your right.  I have heard plenty about women getting pregnant in their 40's.  I just got over my period, and here we go, trying every other day for the next month (again)!!! It gets pretty mechanical when you "gotta".  
God willing.....
I am 42 year old and I believe, I just got pregnant.  I am very worry about the condition of the baby at my age.  I do not know who should I talk too and do not know how to explain.  I am happy but worry at the same time.  Is there anyone out there have the same problem that you can share with me.

Thank so much!!

Thank so much!!
I'm 42 years old. divorced. I have 4 grown children. My boyfriend is 30years old and we want to have a baby. Is there a chance I can get pregnant the normal way?
I am a 43yo mother of a baby girl who just turned one last week (I will be 44 in May and I also have an 11 yo son).  After being told I was miscarrying and waiting for it to happen most of my first trimester (and then finding out I was pregnant and all was well!), I ended up having an extremely easy pregnancy--no problems, easy birth (c-section), and a prefect baby.  It is possible!  Best of luck to you!
l am 42 yr old l want to have a baby but .lam worry but l have one son he is 17teenager . l am trying to have one more l am worry to heve one more . thing  might happien wild l am care it .please help.
Hi, o, of course you can get pregnant the 'normal' way.  It may take longer when you're in the 40s.....Most over 40s take about 2 plus years to have a baby/s...

Much babydust!

There are herbs that can increase chances too.  Vitex, Don Quai, Radiant Wonder supplements, etc.
Hi, anyone here being ttc at 42 and get pregnant years later?

Nice to meet you all.

No negativie comments please.  Negativity is poison, positive thoughts make positive things happen.
Read 'Making Babies' by Dr Sami David - it has lots of natural alternatives to IVF and lots of advice on what to ask your OB to check for if you are not getting pregnant soon.  I got pregnant at 39, 40 and 42, and although the most recent pregnancy was lost at 11 weeks, I am recovering and we will try again from February 2010.  I will be 43 in May.
Good luck and stay positive,
Kate