Maternal & Child Community
5 week cramping and spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

5 week cramping and spotting

Hello, I'm 5 weeks along and have my first dr. appointment scheduled in 5 days (First pregnancy). For the last three weeks I have had consistent cramping that feels like the beginning of my period.  I thought this was normal.  However, after intercourse today I had some light bleeding so I called the local healthlink line and they said the spotting was normal but that I should get in right away with regards to the cramping.  Now I'm freaking out...has anybody had cramping too?  Let me know.
Thanks,
The cramping is normal with early pregnancy.  I had it with all four of my pregnancies.  The spotting will probably go away.  It is probably just from irritation after having sex.  Try not to worry.  It is good to go check it out though.  Good luck and Congratulations!
First off, Congrats!!
Im 5 weeks, 2 days as of today, and Ive been experiencing minor cramping as well. Nothing to cause worry, but definitely noticeable. Ive been to my Dr twice already,to get levels checked. Everything seems fine, and they said the cramping is normal, as long as it doesnt feel worse than period cramps, and isnt accompanied by red bleeding. I too, earlier today experienced a very tiny amount of brownish blood after intercourse. It was only noticeable when I wiped, and hasnt returned. I have a dd already, and I had the same brownish spotting while pregnant with her the first weeks of pregnancy. Its completely normal during your first trimester. I had a m/c in May, and my first symptom was spotting. However it was totally different in color, and amount from what I had today. But just as a precaution, Im going to phone my Dr. in the morning if I notice it again. Take Care, and try not to worry too much, as i'll try to do the same. Everything should be fine.