Maternal & Child Community
6 month old not sleeping!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 month old not sleeping!

My little guy is 6 months old and the WORST sleeper ever!  He has the hardest time sleeping by himself and wakes repeatedly whether alone or while sleeping with me.  Today he took on 30 min. nap this morning and another 30 min. nap this afternoon.  He is now asleep again but will probably be awake again in the next 30-40 min.  I've tried every sleep positioner or crib on the market and nothing works!  I've read The No-Cry Sleep Solution by E. Pantley and every book by Dr. Sears but still with no real result/solution.  This has been a problem since the very 1st day he was born.  We have put him on a few different medicines for reflux thinking that might be the problem but that never really helped either.  Has anyone else had this problem?
As much as it stinks, some babies are like that. My middle son was and still is a kid who doesn't sleep near as much as his brothers. My husband was the same way, my mIL says he would sleep no more than 5 hours at night as a kid.

I ruled out all sorts of things and finally had to come to the realization that that is just who he is. It doesn't help matters any, but I just had to find a way to cope.
Thanks.  Yeah, that's kinda the conclusion I've come to as well.  My mom said I was not a great sleeper either.  Some people just make me feel bad, like I'm doing something wrong and that's why he's not sleeping.  Oh well.  I'm really blessed to have a healthy baby so I guess that's where I should direct my focus.
My second one follows the "difficult' temperament to a "T" Including the sleep issues. TRy not to let people get to you, if you have tried what you can and what seems reasonable and it hasn't worked, that may just be how its gonna be. Bring it up to the pedi just to rule out anything more serious. My pedi recognized from his 2 month check up that he fell into the difficult temperament catageory and has been really helpful in reminding me that it isn't a matter of parenting, but something inborn in him.
My DD is 9 months old.  I hate to take the crown from your little one but my DD is the world's worst sleeper BY FAR!!  

She takes 2 naps during the day and it usually takes me longer to GET her asleep then she STAYS asleep... maybe 30-45 minutes tops, usually 20 min.

She goes to bed marvelously at night but she won't stay in bed.  She wakes up anywhere from 5-15 times a night.... no lie.... it's MADDENING and I'm exhausted.

She's very VERY bright so my dr told me that she has a hard time "shutting off" thereby making her a "bright" child... I think he just told me that t make me feel better... hahahahaha

Good luck...

By the way, I've read those books too as I will NOT let her cry it out and they haven't worked for me either.  I think every child is different.  My friend's DS is 4 months old and goes down at 8, wakes up at about 1am to get his binkie put back in, then he's out til 10am.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!
I hate her!!  LOLOL

I know kids her age need a ot of sleep but she's not cranky from lck of it.  The only one who is cranky is me!!  LOL

Hopefully they WILL grow out of it!
My 1st and 3rd were/are like that. Excellent sleepers day or night. CJ wakes briefly for feedings every so often at night, but it is so brief it doesn't even phase us.

But T made us work and still does. We FINALLY figured out that his middle of the night waking was due to his needing to go potty. So what my husband does is he gets him up to go potty before we go to bed, now he at least stays asleep for a while longer. I don't mind if he wakes in the night, as long as he keeps himself entertained!