Maternal & Child Community
9 yr old with behavior issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

9 yr old with behavior issues

I'm on the web doing research for ADHD or something that can help me decide if my son needs help from a professional.  He just turned 9 - he is a great student at times hard on himself if he doesn't do well - will punch himself in the face or pull out his hair if I tell him he has the wrong answer while doing homework.  He fights with his 5 yr old brother all the time and will just hit him for no reason.  

Yesterday he walked to meet me at the school yard (my kids are in 2 dif schools).  He walked with another boy & girl.  I saw him push the little girl on the ground. I called him over to address the situation & instead of coming ran around like I didn't exist and hiding behind a tree.  When I finally got there I said go apologize to her now...he walked to her said sorry & her answer was he's mean and does it all the time.  In that moment I felt heartbroken of how such a handsome young man can possibly be looked at as a bully.  He then asked to go to the other side of the bldg with his friend - I said no because of what just happend.  He proceeds to scream that I'm an iddiott for all the other parents to hear.  I was very embarrassed and told him he was punished.

We finally made it home - I put him in his room.  He just turned 9 so I took away his new Guinea pig.  Told him to stay in his & do homework there and he can come out for dinner.  When my husband got home he punished him for a month - no baseball, soccer, tv or DS.  I think a month is harsh.

Last week he was mad at me on Friday & I did go to smack him and before I could do so he slapped me across the face.  He knew last week I was upset with him yet is continuing to misbehave.

Do I call his peditrician to see what help she can give or should he speak to someone outside the house.  I feel he has anger issues.