Maternal & Child Community
95th percentile

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

95th percentile

My husband and I went for our daughters 6 month well baby checkup and the doctor told us her head circumference placed her in the 95th percentile. Her body weight and height put her into the 50th p. and I wondered why there was such a difference. The doctor joked around about if our family had big heads but we all have, what I would consider to be, average sized heads. She is above average when it comes to social and physical abilities so he said it was nothing to worry about and my husband agrees. But, being the mom makes me the chronic worry wart :) of the bunch, and when I got home I checked out stats on the internet. They were startling. Most suggested she be tested (ultrasound, CT scan etc.) for a myriad of health concerns. I'm usually trusting of my doctor but I want a second opinion on this one. Does anyone have any experiences similar to this? Does anything that happened in pregnancy impact these percentile ratings? Sorry this got so long but I wanted to make sure ya all got the whole picture.
Thanks a bunch in advance for any info! - Jessica
Hey_ the EXACT same thing happened to me with my third son.  The reason they even mention it is because sometimes they think the brain is swelling.  My son was in the 10th percentile for weight and height and then 80th for head circumference.  He is 2 and a half now and he's smarter than most 4 year olds i know and he's totally fine.  I think he just has a big head.  Seriously everything will be fine although i felt the exact same way you did when my pediatrition told me that! I wouldn't worry at all.  Things will just level out.  i think my son is in the 30th percentile now for weight, the 50th in height and his head is only the 70th now..so i seriously think things will just even out! My oldest sons were 8 pounders when they were born and now they are in the 5th percentile for weight and 20th for height..(((HUGS)))everything will be JUST fine! =)
Holy cow! Now I see how the other half lives! My son has always hovered around the 85-95th percentile for everything, since day one! He is now in the 75th for height and 85th for weight, yet my friend's little boy who is a year older is way smaller than mine and he hasn't broken the 20th percentile for anything.

Sorry, just had to comment. I am not used to seeing "normal" sized kids,lol. Mine is a brick house, but surpisingly not fat. Crazy.

Anyway, I am sure everything is okay. If you think your doctor my be holding out on you or not addressing your concerns, get a second opinion. It never hurts to be cautious.

Andrea
I have a 10 year old who has been having daily headaches everyday for at least 4 yrs. Initially they were thought to be allergy or sinus. She went to ped neuro and he said head circumference is too big for her age. So is her height and weight as well as starting her period and developing breasts.
To make a long story short the good news is no brain tumor, bad news is pseudotumor cerebri and possible neurofibromatosis. Shje has at least 12 cafe au lait spots and was just diagnosed with mild scoliosis.
Maybe MRI or CT wouldn't be a bad idea.
I hope that it's just as the dr joked and just a big head.
Bonnie
I would get a second opinion just so you don't have to sit and wonder.  It's probably nothing and a second opinion should make you feel better.  At least you would know.  Im sure everything is fine though:)
Thanks everyone for your input. Although my mother said I had a big melon when I was little, a second opinion is what I'm going to need to put my mind at ease. I appreciate the support - it's good to hear someone tell me I'm not just overreacting!!
~*Jessica and baby Callie*~