Maternal & Child Community
AFP??????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

AFP??????????

Hey guys! I have not been on here posting in forever, but have been reading. I am now 5 months preg and still sick with nausea and vomitting!!!!!!! I just had a dr. appointment last week and they think the baby is a boy and I declined the AFP testing. I have heard so many people with a false positive and I just could not bare to go through with the extra stress if it came back positive. What are everyone's thoughts on this test???????? I would like to know if I did the right thing.
I also declined the AFP for the same reason.  I am due in one week and I just turned 35 so it was recommended but I have heard about a lot of false positives as well, and was worried about feeling obliged to have an amnio if I did get a false positive.  I understand where you are coming from completely.  I second and third guessed my decision, but ultimately, I think I made the right one.  Good Luck!
Hi I had the afp test with my first child and had a false positive. The results came back saying that i had a 75 + chance of having a baby with down syndrome. I refused the amnio after that but did get a level 2 sonogram which showed that everything was fine. I am 31 + weeks pregnant and refused the afp for this pregnancy. I am 34 years old and when i had my first i was 31. If you get a level 2 sonogram they can tell you if the baby has downs or not by measuring the femurs and the neck.
is the AFP the same as the Triple Screen, because I just got that one, and I'll get the results in a couple of weeks.   my husband says it's good to know, but I know they are not 99% accurate (only the amnio, but that hurts).  ok,  that triple screen really makes people anxious.
Triple Screen is not the same as AFP. it's actually supposed to be mre reliabale and test for more than just the AFP.

I did get the triple screen myself and am glad that I did. Everything came back normal. It's a largely personal decision but for us, we just felt that we would rather be prepared should something come back abnormal. In our opinion, it would have been much easier to research and and learn about anything that could possibly be wrong and arm ourselves with information on ways to help our baby before birth, rather than wait till he is born and be faced with some unknown and have to learn about a disability AFTER he is born.