Maternal & Child Community
ANYONE HAD IPS SCREENING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ANYONE HAD IPS SCREENING

I am 35 so i opted for the IPS screening instead of an amnio.
Does anyone know if the first results tell you anything or do you have to wait for both results? This is just your risks not to prove yes or no right?
Sorry, but I don't recall this test. What does IPS stand for? I was 42 with my first, but opted against tests and amnio for personal reasons.
IPS stands for integrated prenatal screening it is two blood tests and one ultrasound. AI am 35 and they really push you to have some sort of testing done
I just remembered that my OB had told me if you are 35 or older the test will come back positive just for that reason alone.
Yes, they sat us down with a geneticious (sp?) encouraging us to get same tests but we decided not to because: (1) there are lots of false positives for downs and other defects when baby turns out to be fine. So you go thru all that worry and agony for nothing. (2)my DH and I would not abort a baby for ANY reason and (3) we had just had a m/c and didn't want to risk another with an amnio as 2% of the procedures do result in m/c.  

I know it's a tough decision and just adds to all the concerns once pregnant. I'll be 44 in May and we have been trying for #2 for 7 months. I should have ovulated during last two days, so I guess I'm on the two week wait. We did the bd both days, I'm really praying that this is our month. I would be able to test on Valentine's Day - how great would that be if we got a BFP!

Hope your test comes out fine, let us know. Have you tried doing a search on internet to get more info on this test - escpecially regarding what the results may or may not mean?
I had my IPS done a couple of weeks ago, the doctor called back and told me that my test came back abnormal and something to do with the spine being closed.. she told me to book and ultrasound for my 18th week to see what the problem is exackly.. im so worried im only 21 years old, could the risk of a baby with spinal bifida happen to someone so young with no genetic problems through her or her bf's families?