Maternal & Child Community
Abortion info; pro-choice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Abortion info; pro-choice

My daughter is doing a term paper on abortion. She needs to present both sides of the issue. We don't know anyone who is pro-choice personally so I told her I'd see if I could get some info from anyone here.

First let me say I am NOT here to start a big debate.I HATE conflict. I won't even join threads where there is back and forth fighting. I just hate it. It gives me anxiety attacks.
SO, that being said, please don't start anything that will turn into a fight. If it does I will just ask MH to delete it.

I really just need info from the pro-choice side. What they believe;----that the pregnancy isn't a real human yet? Or that it's just more important to do what the woman needs for her mental well-being?

I promise I will not judge anyone here for what they believe.I just don't know who to ask for personal views from a pro-choice side.
i think its a womans choice ONLY under special circumstances. if a woman gets raped or if the mother is a heavy drug user or drinks a lot (like needs professional help) and the baby will/would come out with a lot of problems as a result of the mother having a problem.

other than that im against abortions.
I am pro-choice, pm me otherwise this will turn into the debate you say you do not want.
I agree with Kim. I would say its a womans choice to an extent. Only for the reasons that Kim provided should anyone be allowed to abort a living child.

If a woman is raped
If there are drug problems involved that would harm the baby
If it is dangerous or deadly for the mother to be pregnant

Otherwise, the way I see it, is if someone is gonna get pregnant because they were careless, then they should carry the baby, then if they decide they dont want to or cant keep the baby, there are always loving people that would love to be parents but cant. So Adoption would be the other choice.
I pm'd you.  Let me know if I can help.
I have to agree with Kim on the certain circumstances of why a woman should have the choice (raped, problems with baby development, etc...) and only if in the earliest stage of pregnancy. I def. don't believe in partial birth abortions and such.

Otherwise, I believe that if you're mature enough to lay down and have sex with someone, then you're mature enough to give birth to the innocent baby that was conceived. Even if they put it up for adoption or let someone else in their family take custody, they should still take responsibility for their actions (having sex). And I don't care if they're only 16 years old and "supposedly" didn't know any better. A baby is a baby.
Just my opinion! :-)
I am pro-choice.  You can message me as well.  I dont want to start fireworks
I'm pro-choice,  and I fully believe it's a human being at conception.  

Way back in the day when I was in college I took a philosophy course,  and we debated the philosophy of choice vs. pro-life.  It was really interesting.  Three pro-choice arguments stick out in my mind:

1.  Imagine a house in a neighborhood filled with seeds blowing in the wind.  These are people seeds (I know it's ridiculous,  but bear with me).  During the spring it's very very beautiful and people want to open their windows and enjoy the lovely breeze,  but there is a problem with keeping the people seeds to attach to the carpet and grow little people.  You can put screens on your windows,  and a special foam down on your carpet,  but these aren't fool proof - sometimes people seeds still attach and grow.  What are the options?  To never open the windows?  To allow the seeds to grow once they've sprouted?  To pluck the sproutlings when you find them?  

2.  Imagine a very very famous viollinist,  the best in the world.  He has a horrible rare kidney disease,  and they are looking for appropriate donors.  His blood chemistry is very unusual,  and so far,  you're the only one who matches it and he has asked if you take many months out of your life to lay in bed hooked to him so you can help cleanse his blood - at no real health cost to you - just inconvenience.  It would be very nice if you were to decide to give this to him - but are you actually OBLIGATED?  Keep in mind,  he will absolutely die if not attached to you.

3.  This is the most powerful,  the other arguments are kind of silly.  In our medical society,  we have the ability to determine which babies carry horrible conditions that will cause them to either die in utero,  or live a very short and painful life.  Some babies are conceived without skulls,  or brains,  or with neurological disorders that will cause their lives to either be terribly short or terribly short and painful.  Other women are raped and become pregnant.  As a caring society,  we must give those families a choice to decide they can't accept that pain and burden.  There are some reasons for abortion that virtually everyone agrees with.  But.  How can we,  as a society decide to make abortion legal in those cases,  and illegal in the case of a healthy baby or a baby not conceived in rape?  To do so would state clearly that some babies are worth more than others - that babies with disfigurements,  or whose fathers are violent,  have no birthright to be here,  where  "whole" babies conceived in consensual sex have a "right" to be here and a place in society.  That thought is too horrible to contemplate - that the state will defend healthy babies but not unhealthy ones.  So,  the state has to step back and allow each family to make that decision.  To do otherwise would place a value on one child and none on another - and the other child has just as much right to be alive.  

Best wishes with the paper.

wow, what an insightful and well written post.  really makes you think regardless of where you stand.  
I would add, that pregnancy is not without risk. And can be more than inconvenient or uncomfortable. But the point is very well given in all three instances.
I am pro chice if you need a chat feel free to email me ***@****
Wow, I'm so proud of you ladies. This post has been up for a whole 10hrs and no mud slinging so far!!  

I think we are growing :)  
Ah, damn. I think you jinxed it ;-)
well the main idea is its up to the women if she didnt want the pregnancy it shouldnt have to be forced on her but it is a human inside and prochoice just means u believe its a human and u know what they do u just believe sometimes you dont have to go through with it for all certain reasons. but when they say its murder well in a way it is but i guess what can you do or say if a twelve year old got pregnant what would u tell her
i would say its a human but its more important what the women feels which is best for her its a hard topic
rock rose said it all good luck with the paper
My body, my rights. No government should dictate what I choose to do with/to my body. There are numerous circumstances why one would choose to abort. Obviously some reasons to choose abortion appear more "compelling" than others but ultimately it comes down to the same argument that our government should not be permitted to impose laws restricting a woman's right to choose what she does to/with her own body.
Additionally, if freedom of religion is in fact a basic right, then to prohibit abortion based on Christian beliefs would be an infringment on one of our basic rights. It would be analagous to forcing circumcision because it's a jewish law. There is a separation of church and state and it should stay separate.  
I live in Africa, a country with millions of orphans, in particular "aids orphans", children who's parents do not have access to medication, or the means to pay for it.  13 year old who are the parent because there is no other. Grandparents who at the age of 80 need to look after 6 orphans because they are the only living relative. I see hundreds of children sleeping under newspaper and sniffing glue just to dull the pain of winter. Where babies are left in trash cans to die.  Children who if they are luck enough to go to school do so on an empty stomach because there are too many kids to feed and not enough jobs. In my country abortion is legal, and I wish they would offer the option of sterilization for free if you so wished.
Jules- I remember there being several programs in some countries that offered BC. Mirena was one that was being offered for free. I do agree that sterilization should be offered if they so choose.

And there are many ways Africa is no different than the US. Many of the women seeking abortion here would be bringing a child into a life without a home, without food, without access to healthcare. It is all to easy for folks to say "Just give it up" But would you be so willing to do the same? What happens if she suddenly feels she cannot and chooses to keep it? Then what? The baby ends up dead weeks later due to starvation or worse, beaten to death because mom lacks the coping skills to deal with a crying infant?

You could pm me too, but I think you already have a lot of cogent viewpoints.
Jenny, im going to give you my opinion from personal expierience. I am pro-choice, and when i was 16 i had an abortion. I dont believe that abortion should only be done under certain circumstances, but thats only my opinion. i totally respect everyone elses opinions, but the reason i had an abortion was because i knew i wasn't able to take care of a baby. As a matter of fact, i know it was my responsibility, but when i got pregnant i was on birth control, and that rarley happens. I had no job, my boyfriend had no job, my mom was a single parent who struggled enough taking care of her own family. The reason i didnt do adoption, is because i wouldnt be able to give away whats mine. i didnt want to carry that baby for 9 months and then have to give it away, it didnt feel right to me. I also dont believe that having an abortion is really killing a baby, especially If you have an abortion early enough in the pregnancy. Your baby isnt even a considered a fetus until 9 months of pregnancy, let a lone a human life, So, once again this is only my opinion and i dont want to go against what anyone else believes in, i just wanted to share what i thought with jenny.
Birth control is offered for free at the clinics, however in most rural villages you would need to walk for hours to stand in line, and if you are lucky you will get to the front before they close.  I really suggest (for educational purposes) that you try and get your hands on a movie called "Yesterday" it all subtitles, and a South African production, but really good.
Just to clarify----so no one gets wrong information--- in the medical world, a baby is considered a fetus at 8 weeks.Not 9 months.
Thank you for your post.
I think part of these aid programs should include mobile clinics, don't they do that for vaccines? I am oblivious, I will have to check out the movie.
another thing - the group as talks about post abortion stress syndrome and has lots of info on it.  some not all go through this and some don't go through this until many years later.  it is a great website and I love the women on there and they don't judge
The only people I know who have had abortions wish they had never done it.  I am pro choice becuase I am concerned not only with the life of a child, but the mental effects that abortion has on the mother.   There are web sites devoted to mothers who have experienced a loss of a child during pregnancy, from miscarriage and still birth, to those who die shortly after birth.  I  went to these sites seeking help for a friend grieving the loss of her full term, stillborn daughter and was shocked to see an entire section devoted to those who chose to terminate their pregnancies.  They dream of their babies, ache for them, wonder if they could have found families for them (let me assure you, they COULD have).  I ache for these women who have been told that terminating a pregnancy is an answer.  I love my aunt who aborted her baby (would be 20 this year).  I don't judge her for her actions but weep with her for her loss and try to help her deal with the guilt that never goes away.  Women need to be informed about the possible life long regret and grief.  Not everyone can walk away from abortion without permanent emotional and mental scars.  Do searches on support sites for loss of pregnancy for more stories of those who regret aborting.
i ment 9 weeks.. not 9 monthss.. maybe it is 8, i was told 9...
Visit any orphanage in Africa, then come and tell me homes can be found for babies.  They live in the worst conditions, mouths taped to stop them crying, tied to beds to stop them getting up (if they are lucky enough to have a bed)...the list goes on, and will break your heart.  Don't get ne wrong, not all orphanages here are bad, but I must admit I get very angry when I hear that homes can be found for babies.  Maybe in first world countries, but not here.  They end up too old for the orphanage, or run away and end up on the street, learning how to be a master criminal and how to hi-jack cars, if the glue or cold doesn't kill them first (see movie Totsie - also SA production and winner of an Academy award).  Makes you thing about whether Angelina Jolie / Madonna adopted an African baby for the "Press" or because they have seen this first hand. Did you see Idols gives back? Abortion is not Black and White.
Of course, God's way of doing things is always perfect.  I dont challenge any of his decisions.  I just have always found it weird that while many women are not excited at all about a new baby coming or feeling pressured to making the decision to abort, there are countless others all over the globe (and even right here on medhelp) hoping, praying, paying big bucks, wishing, and counting up days for the day they can become a mommy.  
It's just the strangest phenomenon
I don't find it strange at all. And I don't see what god has to do with anything. It is a woman's choice regardless of the reason.
As a Christian, I believe that God is the creator of all beings and things.  Meaning that he gives/grants the gift of life
"It is a woman's choice regardless of the reason."

LIFE is full of "choices".    
You are right babyhardiman, life is full of choices.  Abortion is a personal choice that can only be made by the woman who needs one.  The women that I've known that had abortions, were not happy about it but it was the best solution given their situations.  Whatever you believe or don't believe, abortion is nobody's business except the women.
so it's God's plan for a woman to be raped and become pregnant??  She should carry that child and love it and not think about the horrible event that created that child?   That's quite the concept.  
I have seen both sides, I have seen women completely at peace with the decision and I have seen women torn inside because of it. I have seen women who sometimes wish they has chosen abortion, not because their children were bad or awful, but because of other things that come with bringing a child into the world.

I had a friend who had an abortion. She then had a child 2 years later. Her PPD was so bad, her days and nights were plagued with suicidal thoughts, she could not parent her son. 18 mos later she had another child, those thoughts went from suicidal to homicidal. She had no insurance, no way to cope with the PPD. No free programs available for her. So what did she do? Bounced from one loser to another, fell deep into drugs, lost her job, and lost touch with her few clean friends and her family.

She drank heavily during early pregnancy before she "found out" (she was in denial for more than 3 mos, refused to test despite knowing she was), both of her children were affected by it making her life as a mother that much more difficult. Perhaps in her situation, for the sake of all involved (you cannot even begin to convince me those children haven't suffered every day of their life). I haven't spoken to her in a few years, no one I know in my home town (even her family) has seen her or her kids since early 2004. Records searches have brought up nothing. Nothing.

But all babies and pregnancies are a blessing from God?
I want to start off saying that although I would never personally have an abortion, I am pro-choice.  I do not believe that I have the right to infringe my beliefs on others for actions that are legal.  I do hope that these decisions are not made lightly, but only after much information and reflection.

That being said, many babies are born to unprepared parents who neglect them, starve them and sometimes even beat or kill them.  This is a reality in this world.  Even though many communities offer to have babies dropped off at a hospital or firehouse with no questions asked, just as many, if not more, babies end up dead in dumpsters.  While I struggle immensely with the idea of abortion, I do seem to feel that bringing a baby into the world only to end up killing it is somehow worse than aborting it.  And, of course, adoption is still the better option, but again in reality a lot of people don't do this.

Lastly, I agree with Kim that a beating heart is a beating heart, but, and please don't bash me on this as I'm only offering a pro-choice opinion, some pro-choicers feel that a baby is not "alive" until it can survive outside the womb (closer to 22-24 weeks).

Again, I am only offering some of the arguments that a pro-choicer might make.  I don't necessarily hold these opinions, so please spare me a tongue-lashing.

Good luck with the paper.
this will be a good paper that.  it amazes me how each side can presents their points.  if she gets well informed information, then see can present fairness which is important.  women want their babies for reasons and some don't want their babies.  the law says it's a woman's choice