Maternal & Child Community
Acne AFTER Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Acne AFTER Pregnancy

I have never had a problem with acne.  Even when I was pregnant my face was completely clear.  Ever since my baby has been born,(he's 6 months now)  I've had this horrible acne.  They are like little blisters that are mostly on the center of my forehead and are VERY painful.  The doctor gave me some antibiotics and it all cleared up fine but when the dose was done they popped back up 2 days later.  I also have this bumpy rash on the top of my thighs that showed up a couple days after my baby was born.  It was really bad all down the sides of my calves and on my butt, but it is now only on my thighs.  Have any of you experienced this type of change/ these types of break outs AFTER the baby??  What did you do about it??  I would rather not keep on taking antibiotics for it.  

Thanks!
I had VERY painful breakouts after my daughter was born. My skin was not perfect while pregnant, and I was prone to breakouts now and again...I experienced nothing like what I had after my daughter was born ever in my life before, nor have I since. Mine appeared along my jaw, mostly on the right side of my face, They were like boils almost and they were painful and hard. I asked my Gyno what was causing this, although I realized it must have something to do with hormones. She said the change in hormones was so great after birth and with the production of milk. It was very, very bad the first few weeks after the birth, and unfourtunately for me, it did not completely dissapear until I weaned my daughter at around 8 months. Very few oTC meds were effective, and I just had to let it go away on its own. Now that I am pregnant again, I am wondering if the same thing will happen this time around, as I intend to breastfeed this baby as well. I know what you are going through, it is just terrible, I hope you are able to find something that brings relief to you and your skin.
I had beautiful skin even during pregnancy.  Now I have broken out and baby is 8 weeks.  I think it takes time with hormones and birth control.  Did this with my first baby and cleared in time.
Thanks Ladies.  At least I feel better knowing I'm not the only who has this.  I look on the internet for something about it  and it all talks about acne during pregnancy but never after.  I guess I need to be patient and just wait for it to go away.  Ugh.
The acne does not bother me as much as the hair falling out though.  Just hang in there and it will all pass.
I'm having the same problem. My little boy is 16 weeks now and my skin has been terrible since he was about 3 weeks. I'm getting used to it now, but it has honestly not been this bad since I was 14!!! I've got lots of small raised bumps all over my forehead and sides of my face and just when I think it's going, more appear! I'm not going to let it get me down! I just hope it goes away when I stop breatfeeding.... damn these hormones!!!
My son is 7 weeks old and I have this horrible rash like acne happening on my chin. I am breast feeding and assuming it is due to the hormone canges. All the comments have made me feel better knowin it s normal..but disheartened that it may not clear up anytime soon.
Today's the world is returning towards natural way of curing due to the harmful effects of today's chemical & synthetic medicines. People are deeply worried on this issue and also insisting to use natural way of curing to get health & security.

Our vitiligo cure process is 100% Natural / herbal. We have made vitiligo cure tablets with the following herbal ingredients:

Melia Azedarach
Cuminum Cyminum
Fumeria Parviflora
Melia Azadirachta
Lawsomia Alba
Piper Nigrum
Rosa Damascena
Satalum Album
Tephrosa Parpura
Terminalia Chebula
Baluhinia Veriegata
Cassia Abus
Berberis Aristata
Echinop (spp)
Cordiandrum Satinum
Indications:
These tablets are effective in skin eruption, Rashes, Pimples, Prickles, Boils, Ringworm, Absces (abscess), Scabies, Psoriasis and specially in vitiligo.
Dosage:
2 tablets thrice a day.
www.supercareproducts.com
I too have this problem! Huge red angry painful boil like spots : (
I generally have very clear skin; and for 3 weeks post pregnancy my skin was glowing . . . . so having a face full of angry spots now feels awful.
I am nursing (well exclusively pumping) . . . . so have guessed it's hormone related.
I have found that applying sudocrem helps calm them quite alot.
I have also learnt NOT to pick them!! I have made two scars from constantly squeezing the initial ones which just got bigger and more angry as a result.
Thank goodness I have a beautiful baby to remind me it's all worth it!!
I had maybe one small pimple at a time my entire life. Once I got prego my skin started to turn to the worst. After my daughter was born I got horrible acne and she's now almost 8 months and I still fight with horrible pimples all over my face in every shape and form. It makes me not even want to leave the house. I am breastfeeding and I hear it has something to do with it. I just hope it clears up soon. I started using tea tree oil face soap, wichazel wipes, and derma e face lotion, I thought the natural approach would improve it and it really hasn't helped.  
I am NOT breastfeeding and i have had this smae kind of horrible acne. As soon as one pimple goes away another pops up. Just when I think it's all gone, here comes another one..and they HURT ugh. I still beleieve it has something to do with hormones, but nothing to do with whether or not you rare breastfeeding.
I too an 7 weeks post partum and i have terrible acne after birth. i know it must be hormones but it has me depressed and feeling ugly with everything else we have to go through and now this....
I have a 13 week old son and am too covered in inflammed pimples, mostly around my chin, neck and chest area.  Am breastfeeding but am not sure how long i want to continue with this as think it makes the problem worse.  Also the birth control pill estelle (also yasmin) clears up your skin but can't take that until you finish breastfeeding and i love breastfeeding.  Am going to try accupunture first and diet change (eating lots of fresh fruit, vegetables and drinking lots of water).  Have tried lots of different skin lotions etc for acne which help but nothing clears it.  Am taking antibotics and think they are keeping it at bay but again - are not clearing them like the doctor said they would and don't want to stay on them permanantly.

Glad to know i'm not the only one with this problem.  It is making me depressed and i too don't like to go out much as makeup does not cover them and as a result makes the problem worse.  It's not fair what women have to go threw having children, i had every bad pregnancy side effect there was and now this!  At least i have my beautiful baby boy.
My skin after my teenage years has always been good. During my pregnancy, I developed a small amount of acne and mild irritation. The bad news was after he was born I got really bad acne! I thought it was his lotion or detergent- I changed them a MILLION TIMES- and nothing! I would cry at my new body and pimples- who was i? Finally, my mom bought me a gag type gift from : MILF Cosmetics (Mom intent on being Fabulous) and I tried it for a few days and it actually worked! I love this stuff! My skin is MUCH better and I now feel like it is going back to normal. I still use this line and have bought it a a gift for friends because it works and the name cracks everyone up too!
My son is 13 months old and my problem started after nursing. I too had the problem with my thighs and butt, and cleared it up using saint ives scrub, a buff puff, and eucerin plus intensive repair. (don't use these on your face though- too rough) I'm still working on my face, just started taking bc to see if that will level out my hormones.
I am NOT breast feeding and I am going through same problem!! Very red angry boils along my jaw line they hurt so much and actually throb!  I thought it might have been to do with going back on the pill but seems like its just another pregnancy/baby/woman problem that no one tells you about and we have to deal with!! As if feeling unsexy during pregnancy was enough I now look like a teenager with a face full of acne! Just glad am not the only one!! At least we have our little bundle of joys to make us smile tho!!