Maternal & Child Community
After giving birth question about my bladder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I think this might be a dumb question (i know there are no dumb question) but i gave birth 3 weeks ago today and ever since then i have come to realize that my bladder is very very weak. If i feel like i have to go to the bathroom i have to go right then and there or i may pee my pants. OR if i lift something semi heavy there puts alot of pressure on my bladder or something and the same thing might happen. I also notice that when i walk down some stairs i feel like i might pee my pants gravity is taking over. BUT i guess my question is, is this normal? is this something that happens after giving birth? Should i be worried? I take it easy alot i don't really do anything i shouldn't but my bladder doesn't seem to be healing. Does it take awhile for it to heal? I just want to be reassured that i am ok and i am over reacting. Please help
It's normal. The pressure from being pregnant and the trauma of giving birth cause the problem. Do kegel exercise all the time to help improve muscle tone in that area. If it doesn't get better your doctor can talk to you about other options.
Welcome to your new life of peeing in your pants every time you sneeze, cough or laugh!!! Seriously, if my bladder's full and I need to sneeze, I have to focus really hard on holding in the urine. Oh, the joys of giving birth vaginally! LOL! I should practice what I preach but you should start to do your kegel excercises asap.
After my SIL gave birth to her second DD she had to have surgery to repair her bladder due to it dropping.She was constantly having to rjun to RR in hopes of not wetting herself after a sneeze, cough, bending over. They put in I think a foam cup to hold it up well it moved and she had a 2nd surgery 2 yrs ago and next friday is having her 3rd to repair it hopefully for good this time. They are going to twine up the muscles around bladder and hopefully that will keep it in place. It is something you might want to look into she said the dr after having several opinions from other dr's say it is common. but if it goes untreated it can get worse ie. (Depends)Good Luck
I had to wear a pad long after I stopped bleeding. I had a tear by my urethra that got stitches. This made it harder to stop the pee. It would happen if I coughed or sneezed, and a few times, I didn't even know I was peeing right away. It improved as my body healed. I still had to do a lot of kegels afterward.
Hi niki,
No it's not normal!!!
I have recently had my first child, he was only 7lbs 11oz. My bladder quit fuctioning meaning for about 3 days I had no control and would pee whenever. I had no idea I was peeing until I felt it on my leg. I practiced the Keagles which helped some. My bladder today is the same symptoms that you are describing. I go for my 6week pst partum check-up the 11th of this month. The doctors are going to do uro-dynamics which is where they see how much of the bladder you release and when you pee on yourself. After the test it will tell the doctor which route to take meaning surgery which is done in outpatient, or they can give collagen shots, it just depends how severe the problem is. I know exactly how you feel, just tell your gyno, or the person that delivered your baby and they will no more to assist you.
Catherine