Maternal & Child Community
Am I pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Am I pregnant?

On Sunday, February 5, I took an at home pregnancy test because I noticed my stomach was getting larger.  I take birth control but have had sex without a condom.  I never missed any of my pills either.  The test came out positive, which really shocked me because other than my stomach getting larger, I didn't think it would say I was pregnant. I immediately quit taking my birth control and the following Wednesday I started my period. That day I went to the clinic and had a urine test done and it came back negative.  I have been freaking out though because my stomach continues to get bigger and I have been having some back pains.  I come home from school and I eat and go to sleep.  I seem to have no energy, but my mother thinks I am getting bigger because of my "sedentary lifestyle." I am a small girl. I am not gaining weight, my stomach is just getting larger, so I don't know if it is my muscle turning to fat or what.  Also, yesterday I started my period, but it feels different from other ones.  The cramps are worse and my whole stomach hurts. Also both of my side are hurting, but the left one hurts more.  My stomach is squishy, not hard.I am continuing to take my birth control though, and I haven't had sex since I took the pregnancy test.  I have been told I could have an STD or mono because of how I always want to sleep, but the stomach is what has me.  Does it get fat or what? I just need help because my mother really thinks I am not pregnant, I don't know if she is in denial or what, but she seems extremely confident that I am not.I need someone to confide in.I'm 18!
i would revisit the clinic to get checked out and ask your questions.  maybe you had a very early miscarriage being the preg test was pos?  stopping the pill can make you feel strange as well.  im not sure why your belly appears to be growing.  these are all questions you have to speak to a dr. about.
good luck.
I would say you are not.  Most people don't even show until atleast about 4 months with their first baby.  Plus, birth control is 99.9% accurate if you take it everyday.  If you took a pregnancy test and it was negative and been on the pill everyday ... I really don't think you are pregnant. Ask your doctor to be sure but I wouldn't worry too much about being pregnant.
I took 3 hpt and all were positive and I too was on bcp and went to dr and had blood work done which I am awaiting results but I would have to agree that you dont show until arounf 4 months. Did you miss period?
I agree with everyone but wanted to add, when your stomach starts getting bigger from pregnancy, it is hard when you push in on it.  It's not squishy like you mentioned.  If the only thing you're experiencing is a bigger stomach, could be a number of things that aren't pregnancy.  (I'm 25 weeks pregnant and my stomach didn't start getting bigger until I was 12 weeks (3 months preg.))  You could be experiencing bouts of gas which would explain the pain on your sides.  When I have gas or constipation, the pain moves from one side to the other, check what you've been eating and exercise more often.  HTH
the dr. might want to do a sonogram to see what is going on.  just to check that you aren't really pregnant, or dont have a cyst or something causing nerve pain and a larger stomache.  i think seeing your dr again is very important.  you are having some strange symptoms.  good luck and we are all wishing you well.
sorry about the second post, I guess that's what happens when you push refresh...
Believe it or not, a positive pregnancy test doesn't always mean  you are pregnant. HCG is what your dectecting with a home pregnancy test, but It can also be dectected with tumors and a few other rare conditions. You mentioned your stomach was getting bigger, maybe you should look into it.
Just a thought
Keep us posted.
can someone help me with the acronyms?
please
Well, I was spotting brown blood for 3 days, and a couple days before my expected period... I took one pregnancy test on my own, and it came positive. I told my mom and we took 2 more, they showed positive also, but only after about 10 minutes... so we thought it was an invalad result. Well, all together we took 9 tests because we werent sure what was going on, some came positive right away some took awhile... 6 were positive and 3 came negative.  So we decited to go to the Dr. and see whayt happened. My mom didn't think I was pregnant, she said she "didnt feel it" but I felt like I was. Well, turns out I WAS pregnant, but the baby couldnt attatch ? It didnt make sense to me and I was so upset.    Even though its a heartbreaking thing, especially if your wanting it, some things turn out for the better. If that wouldnt have happened to me, My husband would be in Iraq right now! Thank God he is here for the rest of his Military Career!...
SO some things that are bad, happen for the good.

If anybody would like to email me   it is    :

***@****

ok well can anyone answer this? if the sac doesn't show until 3 months or whatever.. should i be able to like grab my fat and push in on it and stuff and move it all around or should it be hard or stiff? thanks
Actually, the sca shows on ultrasound by 7 weeks.  As far as acronyms, I think you are referring to HCG.  It is a hormone that your body releases when you are pregnant.  It is a growth hormone.  Hope all is well:)
I don't think you're pregnant at all....maybe an ovarian cyst.....talk to your doctor your belly shouldn't be getting big and soft if you were pregnant....I didn't start showing until 5 months but my friend started showing around 2 months(I know early! It's gonna be a big baby) and it wasn't soft at all...
iam pregant but my stomach doesnt get hard does it mean iam not pregant
hi i have all the symptoms of pregnancy but i recently took a test it came back negative but my friend told me you can have a "false negative" but still be pregnant and by all the symptoms i mean my boobs have grown are sore and tender my stomach has hardened, sore back, light headed, i feel nauseous, sore stomach, need to pee more, missed my period all of the signs i had unprotected sex because my boyfriend wanted to, my periods are very regular as ive had them since i was 13. What do i do im only 15!