Maternal & Child Community
Amniotic fluid question? Does it have a certain odor/smell? Color?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Just wondering if this leak I have is urine or fluid? I'm 34 weeks
Amniotic fluid doesn't really have any odor/smell.  It can have a little color too it, but not much.  Do you have any discharge?  have you lost your plug?  I know at the end I thought I was leaking but mine was urine....LOL, that was embarrassing!  They have a little strip they can run across you real quick down there and be able to tell.  You may could by them, I don't know though.

And just real quick, in the other thread I wasn't trying to fuss, just putting in my two cents, hope I didn't step on your toes.  :)

Good luck to a healthy delivery and maybe it will be soon!
WOW 34wks!!! Good to see u on here!! Time is zipping by!!! I hope u feel great for the rest of your pg. (I've heard that amn. fluid can have a sweet smell to it, but I have no ideal if theres any truth to that) LOVE & PRAYERS
If you think your amniotic fluid is leaking, you need to call your doctor and go have it checked out.  Yes, even on the weekend.  It's a simple check that can be done at the hospital if your docs office isn't open.  Better safe than sorry.
There is some truth in that "sweet smell". May depend on diet. I lost all my amniotic fluid in one big gush when labour started and remember it smelled very faintly like cotton candy...starnge enough as I hate cotton candy.
Thanks and i too wasn't trying to fuss :-) Everyone has there opinion we were just giving ours, seeing the girl all scard up was so sad to me, that's all.. Anyway thanks fopr the info and God bless :-)
I dripped two drops, and thought I was imagining things, but dr said to come in and they tested it and ... viola... am=niotic fluid.  Time to induce labor!  God Bless you.  (No odor, no gush, no color.  Didnt even happen again.
On my due date I picked my 2 yr old up to wash her hands and felt a little bit of fluid come so i looked to check and just maybe a quarter size wet spot. thought it was strange but no more came out called my dr. and told her and she said well lets just check so when i got in she just looked first and said i dont see any wet there but ur here so lets just check to  her suprise and mine I was leaking!! She said it had to be the smallest leak she ever saw!
So... there can be no smell or trickle it can be just a small one time thing!