Maternal & Child Community
Anyone else have IUGR baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Anyone else have IUGR baby?

I was just at a sonogram last week and they said the baby wasn't getting enough nutrients b/c the blood flow was low. They said this is a interuterine growth restriction baby. Anyone with a similar experience? I'm really worried about this baby and the size and all the other worries. Please if anyone has experienced this or is experiencing this please let me know.
I'm sorry you're going through this. Did they deduce this based on the baby's growth from the last u/s? Did they recommend anything, like starting a blood thinner or vitamin E or anything? How far along are you?
Wendy
I am 19 but was measuring 17. They took it from a sonogram in the summer. I'm meeting with my docs this week. I hope they have something to offer. I ovualted on June 21st so i'm not sure what that week it puts me at. Does anyone know? They are going by a date of a D&C i had on june 1 giving me the March 8 due date.
19 weeks sounds about right. Only measuring 2 weeks off isn't so bad, and there's a 15% variation between the real measurements and what they can do on an u/s. Good luck at the doc, I hope it turns out to be nothing. I really thought IUGR happened much later in pregnancy.
w.
Hi Spritz,  about 3 years ago, I also was diagnosed with a IUGR pregnancy.  At 16 weeks pregnant they tried telling me I was only 13 weeks, wich I knew was a load of ****.  They sent me to a specialist and from there on out, my daughter was measuring smaller and smaller.  I delivered here via ceasarean at 32 weeks, and she was only measuring 26 weeks.  My daughter only weighed 11.6 ounces...yes, ounces.

I think it is very possible that you have an IUGR pregnancy, usually that early on in pregnancy, they growth shouldnt be that far off.

Since then, I have had 3 miscarriages, now, I am pregnant again, but we arent sure if it is viable or not yet  But when they confirm it is, I start injecting myself with heparin every day for the entire pregnancy.

I hope this doesnt scare you, but it is a big deal, and I hope you get the best treatment out there.  

Barb
A friend of mine had the same problem...I think it was because she was not eating enough...she only gained 15 lbs during her pregnancy and the baby was not getting enough nutrients.  She delivered at 32 weeks and the baby weighed 2 lbs.  Her first pregnancy was fine.
Barb-how is your first baby? I'm sorry but i couldn't tell from your post if she was doing well or not?
HI there Spritz,

Actually, my daughter (she wasnt my first child, I have a son who is 8..;o)), my daughter died at 11 days old.  She jsut couldt catch up.  It was a horrible thing to have to go through, but I am glad I had the opportunity to give her a chance.

Anyway, I hope this is not what you are going through, its a very stressful time.

On a good note, my doctor told me that he has seen babies that were born like my daughter (although not quite so small) survive and grow up to be normal healthy children.

Keep your heart positive.  I will cross my fingers for you.

WHen do you find out more information?

Barb
I just wanted to say I'm really sorry about the experience you went through with your daughter, and to thank you for sharing it. I can't imagine how painful that must have been. i hope it turns out that you are pregnant again, with smooth sailing ahead. Did you have any of the same issues with your son?
All my best,
Wendy
Thank you for your thoughts Wendy.  Actually my pregnancy with my son was pretty uneventful..I always measured 2 weeks small, but nothing concerning for the doctors because he wasnt slowing down in growth.  When I hit my6 month mark, they TRIED to put me on bed rest because of pe-eclampsia.  I tried the bed rest, didnt work well...couldnt do it!  I delivered him (went into labor on my own) at 37 weeks, and he was 5lbs, 13 oz., 17 inches. He was a little guy, but very healthy.  He is a small guy, his daddy was only 5ft6inches anyway, so hes just bown\\und to be small!

After that was when I was pregnant with my daughter.  She died, then I was pregnant again, it died at 12 weeks pregnant, then again I as pregnant and it died at 16 weeks pregnant.  Lab tests all come out fine, but clinical studies seem to show I have Thrombohilia...?  So this time I will be injecting heparin everyday into my stomach.  I go into doc tomorrow for ultrasound.  They told me my numbers spiked really high, but hadnt seen anything on ultrasound.  Soo, she said possible twins, or something like a molar pregnancy.  I am crossing my fingers.

Wendy, have you ever had any complications?
I was also recently diagnosed with a IUGR pregnancy.. I feel in the dark by my doctors. They only assure me I am eating right and can do nothing more. They put me on total bedrest. At 20 weeks the baby was 17weeks, and now we are days from the due date and the baby weighs only 4lbs. I am glad he has made it to 4 lbs, but still distraught he will not be able to come home right away after he is born.
I am currently 21 weeks 4 days and my baby is measuring 2 weeks behind.  I was diagnosed with Echogenic Bowel at 20 week ultrasound along with head circumference measuring in the 5th%. I was sent for a Level 2 the next day where they diagnosed it as mild Echogenic Bowel, but was concerned because there was fluid in the bowel.  Everything else checked out fine.  The doctor said that the size was small,  but fell within the standard deviation.  I went for the follow-up 1 week later and the doctor told me that the walls were very echogenic now and asked if my water had broken because there was barely any amniotic fluid left.  At this time, the baby was curled up in a corner.  All the blood flow was fine and everything was healthy with me.  The placenta is large.  No measurements were taken because there needs to be a 2 week time period to note changes.  They said if the baby was delivered now, it would die.  Early delivery would take place at 28 weeks, but that is far from now and those babies have their own set of problems being premies alone, without the complications of IUGR.  They were able to do an Amnio with the small amount of fluid, and we are waiting the ten days for the results of whether or not it is a chromosomal defect.  I read that if caught early, mother should be put on bedrest because it could possibly reverse the IUGR.  This was not suggested to me and I'm wondering why.  I have put myself on bedrest to do the best I can to reverse the effects before my ultrasound in 1 week to check the measurements being that there is barely any amniotic fluid in me and the chance of me going into labor was mentioned.  I am confused because of how rare this is and none of the causes apply to me.  I have done everything by the book prior to conception until now.  
I too had all the symptoms you are having, i was advised to rest as much as possible and put on steriod injections to strenghten my sons lungs. I was eventually induced at 34 weeks and my son weighed in at 3lb14ozs and spent 2 weeks in scbu. He is now a healthy 12 year old and the biggest boy in the school year. I know it is a very stressful time and the last thing you can do is relax, but it really does help and amniotic fluid can increase if you take care of yourself and rest as much as possible. Good luck
Our son was born Oct 26th at 33 1/2 weeks gestation but weighing only 2 pounds 5 ounces (bottom 3rd percentile). We had been going to midwives and therefore had no idea that anything was wrong with the pregnancy until my wife's placental abruption. Luckily we got to the emergency room quick enough to save him. He is now almost 3 months old, home, weighs 7 pounds 5 ounces and makes my day every day. Although I feel the midwives kind of dropped the ball on us, I do believe that his extra time in the womb helped rather than hurt him and would encourage anyone dealing with doctors (because they love C-sections) to fight for the baby to stay in as long as possible. The lungs and brain develop faster than the rest of the body in IUGR babies (hence Asymmetrical IUGR) and if they can come out with working lungs they have a great rate of survival. He was breathing room oxygen right from birth. Additionally, make sure you feed them breast milk and ONLY breast milk, formula aspiration into lungs can cause pneumonia and the small ones get sick easier.