Maternal & Child Community
Artificial Uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Artificial Uterus

Okay I had a particial hysterectomy done in 2002 because I had unexplain abdominal and my doctor suggested having this surgury, since then I have gotten married and I would like to have a baby. I have been researching the artifical uterus senerio and I would love to try this out I also have a sibling that would like to be my donor and we have the same blood type. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
I have vaguely heard that it is theoretically possible, but it is by no means an operation done often.  I think it is only done experimentally and in a very slim number of places if not only one place, and for all I have heard it was only tried one time.  I think you had better look elsewhere for the answer to your issue, possibly to a surrogate if you still have your ovaries and can produce eggs.
I have read how they can make artificial wombs, but it seems to be only outside of the mother. Is there any studies on making artificial wombs to implant into the mother? I have had a hysterectomy, I don't believe I have any fallopian tubes, but I do have one ovary. Has anyone studied this concept?
i wanna b a part of a project related to development of artificial uterus bcoz i think its possible.... anyone working on this concept kindly let me kno.
I had a hysterectomy in 2005 and I too got married and would like to give my husband a baby. I have an ovary left and would like to know if there is a way that they coluld create a womb inside the mother, instead of outdside the mother.

ladiepearl
Actually, at the time the original poster wrote this question, I had recently read of a uterus transplant, not an artificial uterus, done experimentally once in the Mideast.  Don't know how I mistook her question, but I thought she was talking about a transplant.  Besides its one-of-a-kind nature and the fact it was not a medical procedure really but more of a science experiment, a uterine transplant (if not rejected by the body) would probably not give a person a uterus fit to bear a baby.  

The answer to your question is, definitely no, they cannot create a womb inside the mother.  The only way for you to have a baby with your husband that is genetically yours would be to have another woman carry the baby as your surrogate, using IVF with your egg and your husband's sperm.    
hi thanks for ur advice. My girlfriend also have a same problem. she don't have an uterus by birth itself. i don't know whether she will produce a egg. let me know is there any possibility to have a child with her by anyway?

Hi, rosdeep;

You say your girlfriend does not have a uterus and was born that way?  There is no way she can get a uterus (by transplant or artificial or anything else) that would carry a baby.  However, if she has ovaries (it is possible she was also born without the ovaries, but she might have them) then it is possible to have a child using your sperm, her eggs, and someone else to carry the baby.  This would be in-vitro fertilization using a surrogate.  It would take some medical investigation to see if she has ovaries, and then it would take money to do the IVF, and to pay a surrogate (if no family member volunteers to be the surrogate).