Maternal & Child Community
At what point do you start to worry about a rash w/ kids?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ok, about a week ago my oldest got 7 red bumps on her face that are really itchy.  She went camping with my mom for the weekend, so she isn't here to see if they have spred or not. I was putting suntan lotion on my 4 year old today and she has the very same bumps all over her back. She has about 20 and a few on her arms and legs.  My sister thought they were chicken pox, but she had the vaccine and my oldest had the chicken pox really bad when she was 2.  Plus this doesn't really look like chicken pox. They don't have the clear bubble thing on top. They are just small raised red bump that itch. They don't look like a spider bite or a mosquito bite either.  I guess the closest thing I can compair them to is a pimple. And they are spreading pretty fast.  She doesn't have a fever and isn't acting sick. She is a little crabby, but that isn't that unusual at this time of the day.  So what do you think?  Anybody have kids that have had this type of rash?
could be a viral rash. it is also possible to get chicken pox twice, and i know several children who have gotten it despite having the vaccine. since both girls have the same symptoms, i would guess it's not heat rash. plenty of other illnesses come with rashes- coxsackie, fifths, strep, etc... without seeing the rash, i couldn't really tell you which it looks like. if possible, i would take her to get looked at tomorrow. i assume with everything else going on with Nathan, you wouldn't want him getting it too.

another thought- was your younger daughter camping too? if so, if could be poison ivy. i used to get it really bad when i was young, but for some reason the rash wouldn't appear until many days after i was exposed to it. pets like dogs can also cause poison ivy in allergic people if they walk through it and get the oils on their fur.
Thanks, I'm going to take her in tomorrow.  The bumps are spreading more. It's so hard to stop a 4 year old from scratching.  I feel so bad for her!
And no, Johaunna (oldest) got the bumps a week ago before she went camping.  She left yesterday with my mom.  And Isabella (4 yr old) hasn't been up there. So I know it's not camping related.
About chicken pox, can you have them and not have that clear bubble on the top?  And I know it's not a heat rash, I have seen that several times and it looks nothing like it.  Johaunna got fifths before and doesn't look anything like that either.
It looks like I'm going to just have to see what the Dr. says about it.

And you are right, I really don't want Nathan to get it in case it's some sort of infection. It's probably nothing, but I guess it's best to be safe than sorry!

BTW, how are you and your little one feeling/doing?
You get the chicken pox with or without the vaccine, it doesn't prevent them they just wont be as sever.  It is better for your children to get the chicken pox sooner than later... Call your doctor just let him know.  They could be allergic to the suntan lotion, I would recommend baby suntan lotion.  I am allergic to it and all I do is itch and for some reason baby suntan lotion doesn't have that affect on me.
Hey girl, how are you??
Sam had a similar rash last week, he must have been allergic to something, couldn't figure out if it was something new I fed him or a different brand of baby wipes. Anyhow, my friends kids both have rashes at the moment and her doc is having them tested for strep.