Maternal & Child Community
Baby (5 months old) Cries after feeding solid Stomach Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Help! I have a 5 month old. I have tried giving her Rice cereal and she cries out in pain. It hurts her stomach. The doctor then had me try to give her green beans, she cried out in pain. It starts 30 mins to an hour after she eats and lasts from one hour to several hours. You can tell her tummy hurts :(

Has anyone else had this problem. The doctor said to stop and try again in a month if it is still happening, we will have to get her stomach tested to see if there is something wrong? What are the odds that something is wrong or that her tummy is just not ready for the food?
help!!! I am a nervous wreck!
i would personally stop as she isn't ready for food, and she is letting you know. her intestinal tract maybe not be mature enough to digest food, i would try again in a months time, and if it happens then, don't worry cause some babies don't take food for the 1st year. good luck
Her digestive system is still immature.  I would wait until 6 months.  It is ok to keep your dd on just formula or breast milk until then.
Ok, so the odds are that something is wrong are slim? I am sorry, this is my first and so when the Dr. said something could be wrong with her intestinal tract I was scared. However, everything I read said that it is possible that my babies tummy is not ready for food.
Don't be sorry, children are trial and error sometimes.  I too had started my ds too soon and found his tummy hurt and he had problems going to the bathroom.  I immediately stopped and found out that he was way too young.  I listened to family members with old school mentality of starting cereal to get them to sleep longer.  I didn't know any better until I got great advice from all the mothers on here.  
this happened to my son.  i stopped.  he had a terrible time with rice cereal.  i waited 2 weeks until he was well past 6 mos and started again.  this time with oatmail.

good luck - i remember those screams of pain.....it was torture for the me as his mother.

I want to thank you for your help. It makes me feel much better to know that it has happened to others. Not that I want that to happen to other babies :)!

I have a niece who is 10 weeks older than mine and she did just fine. I guess every baby is different.

You are right though mami, my husbands mother insists that I find another Dr. because "there should be no reason that baby cannot eat cereal"
My son had a very immature digestive tract and would cry for hours after solid foods as you describe.

Sometimes the cereals, even though they are first intro's can be very rough on a baby's tummy.  

A hint that sometimes helps when you are ready to intro again is to take the flakes and actually mush them up in a blender so they are very very fine and pureed ... there is a brand called Earth's Best that used to have the finest flakes and many babies can sometimes tolerate that brand vs. the regular more common commercial brands.  But sounds like to me, too, that your baby isn't ready for solids.

Another thought is to try infant stage 1 pureed pears.  But I know, the Dr's often feel not to start with the sweet taste of fruit as they'll not want the veggies later .. but green beans are a no no ..too gassy and too hard to digest for alot anyway.  

My son is now many yrs older than your infant and is thriving.  Thought I'd stop by to give you my experience, hoping it helps ease your mind.

If this continues they will probably do stool samples to make sure your baby is making the proper proteins but in all the yrs I've been helping people with GI issues (reflux, etc.) almost all of them are fine in that area.

Cheryl
It's crazy, they knew nothing about the proper nutrition, they just figure, hey it didn't affect my children.  But you are right not every baby is the same.  What killed me is my fiance's brother's girlfriend spoon fed her daughter at 3 months.  She tried to tell me to do it and I said no, that he is doing fine on formula.  My fiance's sister started feeding her daughter at 5 months and kept trying to give it to my son.  I told her no.  Everyone was like, it's not going to kill him.  I don't care, I do what I think is best for my son.  I'm not going to feel pressured by anyone.  My doctor says 6 months then I'm going to wait until 6 months.  Which by the way is next week.  He is 20 lbs. and probably close to 29 inches long with just the formula so he thrives on just those vitamins alone.

Don't let anyone pressure you, this is your child and you do what's best for your baby.
hi there mums
can any one help i have a 4 1/2 month old sweet baby girl from bith i have had bad feeding pro, she is alway full of wind and crys when feeding and given her all you can for that i have been to gp 10 time now to the hos she has been on lots of different milk now she is on pepti junior formula thinking its the protein in the milk and on gaviscon for reflux and ranitidine and been on losic and some things work for a week or to just try giving her same apples i was told when she is eating it will all go away this did not help and she will dribble and cry then up comes some wind and this just keep going more cry and then wind on and on and on i am so upset about this at some times it was taken me 2 hours to feed her no one friends family and dr's can not work it out my poor wee girl this is not far and her mummy can not help this is so so so so so hard and sad if any one can help or has been throw it i wood love to hear what you all think thank you for reading ps now i have taken her off all meds thinking one of them is the pro so just formula and no diff
My 10 month old daughter is still only taking formula. We have tried to feed her things but everytime we do she screams in pain from her stomach. She will double over and just cry. NO MATTER WHAT we feed her! She is seeing an allergist and a GI dr everyone is stumped! She does have a lot of food allergies in which we are just feeding her fresh foods now NOTHING with preservatives in it and its not helping :( Any suggestions?