Maternal & Child Community
Baby standing with no support (moved from Women's Forum) -- how so...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Baby standing with no support (moved from Women's Forum) -- how soon to walk?

Hi, everyone, I accidentally posted this on the Women's Forum, but was tryng for here -- sorry to repeat, if you read it there too.   My little guy is now starting to stand without support, especially if he has something he is looking at that he has picked up.  He has a wide-legged stance and bends his knees slightly to do it; he can stand without leaning on anything.  Does anyone remember how long it was after your child began to do this that he or she began to walk?  (I.e., like, it is right around the corner, or could he be doing this for weeks before walking?)  Thanks --  Annie
Tags: standing, Baby
It could go either way.  Some babies take a while even after they start standing unsupported.  My dd started walking pretty much right after she started standing on her own.  She was really young too, only 10-1/2 months old!  Does he walk when you help him, or if he is leaning on anything does he try and walk?
I remember us holding a toy or something my son wanted out just a little way from where he would stand and try to get him to take a step.  One of us would be behind him for support if he would tumble.  I think because we worked with him like that he started walking pretty quickly after standing on his own.  I loved those days...they are so cute to watch when they just learn to walk...
annie with my son he did this for many months before he had the courage to let go.  some kids go for it and dont seem to mind falling, my son however is one to not take any chances lol.  i cant believe he is already doing this!! tell him to stay a baby , no need to hurry!
My baby girl starting standing unassisted at around 9 mos but didnt start walking until a few days after she turned 10 mos. Im sure it will happen soon!
Thank you so much everyone for your input!  houseofgirls, he does cruise, like cruising the length of the sofa or the row of chairs at the dining table.  But he doesn't try to take a step when he is standing without support.  I think he likes standing freely, but is sort of surprised that he can, LOL.   I agree, no need to hurry.
Yeah, my daughter started walking really soon after she started cruising.  Its like she couldn't wait to walk, and seriously, she hasn't stopped since!  She is a very active little girl, to say the least.  Sounds like your little man is headed that way!  It is pretty exciting, although I sort of hope that my 3 month old will wait a little longer than her sister did to start walking.  Its hard enough chasing after one all the time!
DD took months to walk after she started cruising (I believe it was 4).  Annie, he'll be walking and getting his little nose into every hole before you know it :))
I would say mine started cruising around 7 mos or so and were walking either just before or at 9 mos. CJ was my slowest, waited until he was almost 9.5 mos to walk alone, now he nearly runs!!
Wow Annie, go Augie!!!!
Sam only just started pulling himself up to stand last week and has been doing a bit of cruising the last few days, I am in no rush for him to take his first steps he gets up to enough mischief as it is!!!
I took about 3 weeks to a month for my DD to go from standing alone to actually walking.
my dd was pulling up to furniture from 8-9 months and walked alone on her 1st birthday, my ds crawled from 9 months and never really pulled up to furniture until about 13 months, he has been walking now for 3 weeks, babies are all so different, he could be confident enough to move away from furniture quite soon or not. try sitting on the floor and get him to walk a few steps supported to furniture to begin with then gradually (only over a few days) as his confidence grows let go and this will help him gain confidence, once i did that with my ds he was walking alone within a fortnight.  good luck....now the fun begins!!!
ps: my ds is 15 months today!
Aw, Cars didn't cruise much at all.  He began pulling up briefly, then he would crawl out to the middle of the room and just stand up, with nothing to pull up on and nothing to hang onto.  He would just stand there.  I think he would try to hang with the big kids at daycare, and when they would walk away to something else, he would get down and crawl over and stand again.  He was a great stander, did this from about 8 & 1/2 months till he began walking just shy of 10 months.  Could be soon or may be a little while, he's almost there though so watch close and keep that camera ready!
I just have to say it just does not seem possible that so many of our babies are old enough to do this already!!! My goodness, time really does fly. I am demanding pictures pronto!!
Mt daughter started standing unassisted 2days  ago. She just turned 7months today and now she is cruising holding on to furniture and she is already babling and always keep on saying "dada".