Maternal & Child Community
Back pain and headaches after miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hello Everyone, I was just wondering is it normal to have some lower back pain and headaches soon after a miscarriage, I just had a m/c monday and my back has been hurting the past couple days, just the lower back on both sides. And I have been having terrible headaches, I attribute the headaches to the stress and the crying spells, but have any of you experienced this? Also I have been reading a lot of the posts and it seems like a lot of you have u/s after your miscarriage and my dr. hasn't mentioned anything about that, is that routine or just in particular situations?  I kind of feel like my dr. thinks this is no big deal, but I feel kind of abandoned by her. I haven't heard from her since the day it happened. SHe told me then to come back in 2 weeks to have my Hcg tested , but thats it.  How do I know everything is okay? thanks! K
Hi, I would think she would do an u/s at that checkup as well.  From what I remember my OB felt my uterus manually and then ordered an ultrasound...they will check your bleeding etc.  My OB called me the night I miscarried as well as twice in the following week to make sure I was doing ok.  She also prescribed me anti-depressants and told me to fill them if I felt i needed to.  She also gave me a sample of anti depressants (a month's supply).  i think she was very thorough.  i hope yours makes you feel better about the situation.  When I thought i was miscarrying last weekend i called the on call doc at my ob's office and she even was very tender and sensitive on the phone.
Your hormones might be all out of wack because you body is trying to cope with a major event. The pain can becaused by the stress on your body from the pregnacy
She doesn't even want to see me that visit, she just wants me to come in for the lab work and thats it. They told  me I didn't need to come back and see her unless we had trouble getting pregnant after two months of trying. I thought it sounded a little strange, I would think they'd want to check  me out and make sure everything is back to normal and my levels are good and ready. Do you think I should get a second opinion? I just feel like she thinks its no big deal and I feel like it is a HUGE deal. I don't know maybe I am being to selfish? Thanks a lot Kellied!  I hope your doing good, I'll check back on tuesday to see how your appt. went .  Good luck, K
Oh I would definitely get another opinion.  YOU need to feel comfortable.  I'm SO sorry you have to go through this on top of everything else.  I will definitely be thinking about you!  I would INSIST on another u/s just for your peace of mind.  or find another OB.  In fact, I was having such heavy periods and just didn't feel right I asked for another u/s in July to make sure there was nothing retained in my uterus still.  Mine was totally supportive of doing whatever made me feel comfortable.  Let me know what happens...HUGS! if you need to vent or anything..email me @ ***@****
i am in exactly the same siuation i am in agony and nothing helps my lower back pain. the hjospital didn't even give me any painkillers. i was 7 wks 4 days when i went for a scan last thursday and there was no heartbeat and since then i have been in agony. have to have another scan on 19th infact i am also still bleeding heavily and its 8 days now i am dehydrated from blood loss and feel really week. i was wondering could it be a kidney infection? i really feel for you as i know how hard it is. i have had 3 miscarriages in 1 year and so want another baby.
need some 411, i was 10 weeks until yesterday fetus had developed no heart beat.  saw 3 diferent MD's b/c my doctor was on vacation and finally she sheduled my d&c yesterday.  but since then i have been having very severe low back pain for 1 week, and I'm cont. to have low back pain is this normal during & miscarriage.  
I’m also wondering, I think I have just miscarriage last 2 weeks, and i tested a P.T but there's no sign of positive, I’m also enduring a  lower back pain in morning and in evening. is it normal after miscarriage? and also severe headaches, I just bleed a 3 days only and there's like embryo that I’ve seen that fallen from my feminine area. P.S reply me..
I experienced a miscarriage last week at around 5 weeks, I miscarried the week I found out, although I suspected i was pregnant 2 weeks prior. My doctor acted like it was no big deal. I was booked in for an EMERGANCY appointment because i was bleeding i was still waiting over 2 hours later so I brought a pregnancy test from the chemist next door so I could put my mind at ease. It came back negative. I produced the test to my gp and all she said was you can try test again tomorrow. So I asked if the bleeding could be affecting the test? She chuckled shook her head and pretty much ushered me out of her office. I had received no advice, information, or any kind of appointment just to check everything is okay.

I have been having really bad lower back pain too, yesterday it hurt non stop, I put it down to sleeping funny. I've had quite bad headaches which i thought could be insensce sticks ( although I have never had a problem with them before). So I guess they could be linked to the miscarriage, I have seen other sites with the same sort of question so it sounds like quite a few women have experienced this after a miscarriage. I'm so sorry for your loss