Maternal & Child Community
Bills...Bills....and more bills

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bills...Bills....and more bills

Okay girls,Just curiousity  setting in again!!
I have a family of 5  and just wondering what do you spend in a month on groceries?? I swear we are always at a grocery store for something
I checked the bill book for May and we spent 1100/month
Is that crazy or what!
Now some would be formula/diapers but I usually go to Walmart for that so I didnt include WalMart in it.
Tags: maternal
my goodness! i spend about $100 a week for family of 5.
HECK No  and we really dont eat steak everynight or anything like that I do know I think there is a price difference in the States compared to Canada..   I think your prices are cheaper..Something like our dollar!! I just went to the store on Tuesday it was 159.45  and today you would swear there is nothing here!!
I do cut coupons for diapers,soaps, etc.... Im trying to cut down on expenses  without starving the kids..lol..
Just asking a  4L bag/jug of milk is about $4.69  how much there?  loaf of bread about 1.29??
gallon of milk here is about 3.20 and loaf of the store brand bread is .80. i try to buy all the store brand stuff because it is cheaper.
I know in Maine the exchange rate on Canadian money is about 30%. So about 70 cents to your dollar. It's nice for us to go to Canada for a trip because our money goes farther. For Canadians coming to Maine, they lose money.
A bit of a price difference but not too bad, Believe it or not I spent another 40 bucks today!!
The one grocery store had dollar days so You have to go and get stuff at that price..
Maybe we are just pigs and eat too much!!
Does that include diapers and formula for 100/week??
My family of 5 spends about $600.00 each month on groceries.  I do however go to Costco (warehouse, bulk store) every 6 weeks or so and spend about $200.00.  I usually stock up of paper goods, frozen items for kids, bread, etc.  Also, each Weds, a flyier of grocery store sales comes through the mail and I mark what I need from each store and decide what are the better deals.  Like Mac and Cheese frozen entrees right now are 20 for $10.00.  I am there, my kids love this stuff.  Milk each week varies, but usually is on sale for no more than $2.50 a gallon. This last week was $1.87 a gallon, so I went at the beginning of the sale for that week and bought three gallons, and at the end of the sale went back and bought 3 more before prices went up again.  I really do not like grocery shopping, but to save money since we are on one income, I really have no choice but to clip coupons and watch for sales and go to different stores.
Okay I do think our prices are dearer by the sounds of it
So what would you say a good job pays then how much per hour??
Just seeing what the price difference is like...

So 1 gallon of milk equals 3.7 litres so almost 4L
so I pay 4.79 and u can buy it for1.87-3
WOW
Well, before I decided to stay home with my kids (Aug 04).  I worked as an Human Resources Manager.  An entry level position here pays $7.00 p/hour.  A professional position pays about avg 28K per year.  Not great pay, and I just read a few weeks ago on msn news that AZ is the 2nd fastest growing city for housing next to Nevada.  I do know that where I used to work we had a Canadian man working for us as a Sales Rep and he made $55K with about $4K bonus each year.  Hopefully this helps.
I am a cheap queen .  But I only have one kid.  When I got divorced I limited myself to eight dollars per week (AND STUCK WITH IT)  this included cleaning supllies and personal products.  Even though I can afford more now I still stay low
I am a coupon nut. I also ONLY buy what ison sale I won;t pay over two dollars a gallon for milk.  I won;t pay more than 50 cents a pound for apples and I prefer 33Cents
I buy lots of frozen stuff cause they are cheaper.  I only buy toothbrushes  toothpaste deoderant and kids shampoo when they are free with coupons.  I only buy my own shampoo on super double and it has to be less than one dollar a bottle after coupons.
Lots of people have asked me to take them grocery shopping - so I know I am an exception - but it can be done.
I once got over 300 dollars in grovers for only cents at the grocery store.
Good luck CInnamon - the more you have I think the harder it is because you can't just go in and buy whats on sale  
(ps my parents fed 12 on a shoestring and   a prayer)
My big difference is we buy Whole Milk and it is usually Lactaid. I pay usually more than $3.00 per HALF gallon, so $6.00 a gallon. Now figure in 2 adults and 2 children drinking 1 a day and that is just the tip of the iceberg,lol.

Our food bill has the potential to be sky high. My three year old eats as much as my husband (literally, bottomless pits) and my 1 year old eats more than me. We joke we will have to take out a second mortgage when they become teenagers just to afford the food bill.

We get bread from the Hostess outlet (we get the good honey wheat bread) for about a dollar a loaf on sale. That usually lasts a few days. We go through a lot of cheese, eggs, meat and I have started growing some veggies to help defray some of that cost. When we go to Costco, it is usually a $500 trip, loading up on cleaners, paper towels, toilet paper, wipes, canned goods and meat.

I am a coupon shopper as well and I stick to sales. I average a 40% savings on all my grocery bills : )

Andrea
Well, this is crazy - but I spend about $250 month or less on food/cleaning/personals/etc for 7 people - 2,8,12,17(boy) 19, dh, and me plus the extra "teenage friends" that hang around for food (LOL) - I also work full time - but I have to stretch because our budget is limited - and most times there isn't even $250 - I think the less you spend the more time consuming meal prep is - I never purchase packaged cookies, frozen treats, very rarely any packaged foods limit on chips etc - when it's gone it's gone till next trip - everything is made from scratch - however - I refuse to buy anything but boneless/skinless chicken! (LOL) yuck!!! I'm not a coupon shopper because purchasing "brand" name things are usually more expensive than others even with the coupon. (Plus they have done away with double coupon days here - and if it ends up less than 50% of the original cost (like something on sale less the coupon - less than 50% of orig price - they won't accept the coupons- DUMB I know!) it's not worth the time and trouble to clip...hmmm  I make milk - well...let's say - I buy a gallon-split it in half and make powdered milk and add to the purchased 1/2 gallons - therfore getting 2 gallons for the price of one - then when it is 1/2 way full I add my "powedered" specialty again - (I have to do this at night when the kids are in bed and it sits in the fridge all night - so it is nice and cold - and no-one ever knows...) until they check the expiration date on the jug - then they panic - then I just purchase another gallon or two and start the process over again - sneaky huh?  The best brand of powdered milk is morning moo - they have flavored also - most can not tell the difference (check out www.moosmilk.com) or www.bluechipgroup.net -if you want more info) Another trick is to buy milk when on sale - and if you have room - freeze it - it freezes well - takes a while to thaw - but cheap is better then none at all :o) - also check out www.flylady.net if you need help w/cleaning tips and solutions & organizing tips etc - great sight - well - sorry to add my two cents - but maybe it will help someone :o)  -  have a great day - and happy saving. (Is is legal to post other sights??? If not - accept my apologies and lack of knowledge.....)
Wow some of you are pretty thrifty!!
I know our prices are a little bit higher and I do think our wages are a little higher to But yes We need to figure out a way to chop it at least a little better!!
Talked to my brother he said he spent 600/month for two so I didnt feel so bad then 1100/5/month but still going to try to cut back  its the meat that cost alot and my dh has to have meat and potatoes for meals!!  Even a head of lettuce if not on sale is almost 2.00  its crazy If we quit eating ID BE RICH
We spend about 100.oo per week but to be honest that amount just BARELY covers everything we need. If we had the money we'd probably  spend more like 500-600 per month. It's hard to believe how much money can go down the tubes on food, huh?
that 100 a week covers diapers but not formula. you can tack on another $25 there.
See our case of baby formula cost about 37.99-42.99
Depending on the kind  soya, brand name etc...What is yours for a case??? Is that for a case 25.
We have 3 in the family- but my 2 year old only eats nutella sandwiches and fruit and yougurt (ha.ha.) so he shouldn't even really count in the bills -- except for diapers and milk.
Even with my husband and myself, we spend probably $300 or so a month on food, as least.  We don't eat like kings, but meat and veggies and fresh fruit add up... as do all the other stuff.  When I need to run into the store for milk or bread I somehow end up spending $30-$50 dollars.
I have to admit that I don't use coupons as often as I should, and I don't make a list that I stick to.  That would probably cut off a good chunk of money.  As a child, I remember my mother going through the weekly flyers, cutting coupons and making lists of what products she would purchase at each of the 3 local grocery stores, depending what was on sale where.
Me-- I love going to the Super Loblaws where prices are more expensive than at Food Basics around the corner-- I just enjoy shopping there a lot more and they have so much more selection. As well- they carry a wide range of Gluten-free and organic products.
For another Cdn perspective, out here in Alberta there is just DH and me (six more weeks till baby #1 is here!).  I would say that we spend probably $300/month on groceries, average.  I think it's a lot, but I find myself having to go to the store about three times a week to pick someothing up that I need for cooking (I make almost all meals from scratch and always run out of ingredients).  The reason I always end up having to run out to the store is because I can't do one 'big trip' a week where I stock up on veggies, etc... after three days a head of lettuce gets gross and there is only so much lettuce we can eat, so I usually don't buy things like that unless I NEED it.  We're pretty okay financially, but I still loathe buying anything unless it's on sale.  Oh, we go to Costco too, at least once a month and spend about $100 there.  I know that 7-11 always advertises that a 4L of milk is $3.89 every day.
It sounds like your prices are comparable to ours
You will notice  a difference when your little one appears.  
I hardly ever buy for my self it seems its always the kids needing something!!  My oldest has just got out of the "girl"
clothes and now is into the early teen sizes what  a price difference!! Just spent 250 on summer clothes for her that was about 5 outfits  its crazy! my other  dd gets the hand me downs.
I asked my Dad if i could move back home ..lol....It looks pretty good there now!!
Boy if my grocery stores did that i would have a fit  (I don;t buy anything taht isn't less than 50 percent of its supposed value)  where are you
what a disgrace - as you said whats teh point of coupons then???
This week I baught good cereal lucky charms (free after coupon)  cheerios and reeses puffs(75 cents box after coupn)
Th emost expensive thing I buy are the vegan burgers liek morningstar farms brand and the eggs
but even with coupons this week the eggs were free and teh burger were around a dollar!
Do any of you have ALDI where you live?
that palce is great you have to bring your own bags but bread is 39 cents a loaf  3 pounds of apples are 99 cents  head lettuce is 49 cents  baby carrots are 79 pound  cereal is cheap  between 89 cents and 169  per box
frozen veggies are cheap too (so is the frozen raviolu that you just boil and put in sauce)
last summer I had to buy apples for teh soup kitchen )150 apples)  and I went straight to aldi!
Where do you live...
I have never in my life seen a coupon for eggs or milk!
We may get lettuce on sale for 89 cents only in summer when there is an abbundance and they got to get rid of it.But come winter its like 2.00/head
How do you get stuff free after the coupon I have only seen one's with a few cents off!
...Anyone in Canada who is interested in coupons check out save.ca they have lots of baby and house hold coupons that are mailed to your house. I save lots by following the sales and cutting coupons. Also I have a book that i bought and it tells all the way to get free baby stuff. My son is 16 months old and I am still getting free stuff in the mail. "Free Stuff For Baby" The book has stuff for the US and Canada.
I live in Ohio
I know it is pretty impressive
her are things I ALWAYS get free toothbrushes & toothpaste (enough to give everyone I know)deoderant
all kinds of baby stuff (which I give away)  like some food those gerber pastas and gerber meals and vegie rolls?  pacifiers coated spoons bottles lotions (I posted in an earleier post I save these for baby gifts)
frosting, gum, mints, ketchup, mustard, lots of frozen meals, pickles,
here in Ohio they come in the paper.  All of the stores double so like those simply potatoes the coupon is 55 cents I wait for theh to go on sale for 99 cents and I make a penny!
All of teh frozen stuff teh coupons are usually 75 C or 100 and I wait till super double (when they double dollars to be two dollars)  so like those boxed peirogy  or (my friend loves ice cream)  dove bars frozen snicker bars etc.  french fries and all of my vegan stuff
I jsut read the sunday paper
so some stores take double coupons for one item???
Heck we do coupons and they are checking for expiry dates..Never ever doubles
OK! I'm sending you my grocery list!!! LOL - WOW! I'm heading out the door now to go shopping and it has been nearly 8 weeks -its going to be scary! Even if I found a store that would do all that - it would most likely take ALL I save in gas money - (that's the kind of luck I have - :O) ) - oh - I was going to say that a few other things that I do is shop only with cash - so I can't go over my budget and if I do - I have to start putting things back - embarrassing - I keep $75-100 out for buying fresh produce and limit it to just that - also IF I do run out of milk I will buy a gallon at the gas station - that way I KNOW I won't buy anything but milk - prices are too high there for other things - well maybe a fountain coke ;0)- because if I go to the store - that gallon of milk ends up being $50 - thats crazy~ Well wish me luck - I wish I could send you my list - I could use some FREE groceries - and thanks to everyone for the tips! I'll be putting them to use!
funny (before the preganancy I had a list for everybody  (I knew what cereals my neighbors liked so when they went on sale)  my two sisters  my best running friend a few friends at my son's school - you know word gets around !  But I absolutely loveed doing it.  So when I got pregnant and have had to take it easy several people have offered to shop for me and I laugh - they can't.  But I also tell them  I don;t need food - I just really really miss the shopping - it was something I enjoyed.  I loved saving the money and buying stuff for everybody for pennies.  (pss If you buy things you don't need with coupons and donate them to church or the food pantry you can write them off on your taxes for the full value - that really really adds up  - only in US and only if you itemize!)I asked the doc last week if I could walk a little more and I ws so glad I did since we had super double this week!