Maternal & Child Community
Biracial baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Biracial baby

My husband who is African American and I (caucasion) have a healthy and beautiful babygirl. Since birth she has had my skincolour as well as grey eyes and straight hair. My husband has no caucasion relatives in his emmideate family. Any parents with experience in this? When do change in skin colour, hairtexture and eyes usually happen?

Thankful for any feedback.
they may never change. she may always look just as she do right now.
My cousins have an African American father and caucasion mother all three of them are light complexed with blonde hair and blue eyes.
You never know when the skin complexion, eye color or hair texture will change. Being from a multiracial family, we all were born with straight hair, and light complextions. In my immediate family hair texture changed throughout or lives. Here is an ex. close to your situation. I have 2 good friends both with caucasian mothers, african amreican fathers, One was born with harldy any hair and now age 27 her hair is real soft and curly. The other friend was born with staight hair, as we grew up she had nice bouncy curly hair when we were younger, reached teenage years and her hair started to become coarse, as an adult she uses chemicals to straighten her hair. I hope this helps. Same with eyes, you never know what color may develop.  
I'm white and my husband is black.  We have a 5 week old little boy.  He is very white with straight light brown hair, gray eyes with a blue ring around them.  The only black feature from my husband he gets is his nose.  My sister couldn't find him in the nusery when he was born because they were looking for a little brown baby.  I will post a picture if possible so everyone can see X'zavior Michael.  
I placed a picture of X'zavior in my profile.  Maybe your able to see how light my little boy is.  Take care
im mixed. and my babys dad is mixed. both my parents are mixed...my dad is dark and my mom is tanner. i came out whiter than anything. with a big black afro and blue eyes. nothing changed for about a year. and now im tanner than i was but still lighter than my mom. my hair is dirty blond-brown. and i have hazel eyes that are slainty. go figure. people thought i was adopted. i came out looking like none of them! but now my face sorta looks like my mom but i have my dads chin and nose. its a toss up as to what a mixed baby will look like. as for my lil man that im pregnant with now...since both me and my ex are mixed. our baby will and can look like anything or any of us.

but one thing ive found out with mixed baby vs children. they can and usually do change. i darkend up and my babyd dad lightened up a lot. it just depends. hope this helps
I'm very dark skinned and have dark brown eyes (even though I'm caucasian) and DH is white as a snow with green eyes.  DD was born white with green eyes.  Closer to 8 months, she started getting darker and so did her eyes.  
My niece and nephew (from dh's side of the family) are full blooded siblings but look very different.  One has dark skin with dark eyes and dark features and the other has pale skin, very light blond hair with light blue eyes... The parents are both south american but they have a caucasian grandmother..

That is just the way it is.. biology is a wonderful thing.. you never know what you are going to get, but somehow it is always beautiful :)
X'zavior is beatiful.. congradulations on becoming a new mommy.. I am 36 and this is my first pg.. I'm almost 17wks.. it is all so very exciting.. :)
omg pamed hes so adorable..!!!

my mother .. is caucasian.. but had this really beautiful dark olive  complexion.. i am white as  a sheet..  my grandfather was from Italy.. and very dark..my daughter has a year round tan.. always with a darker skin tone.. my boys.. for some reason all look whiter than white.. but my daughters.. are on the dark side.. ( breathes heavily...My mother... IS THEIR GRANDMOTHER!! ) LOL wow. sorry about that..LOL..   again.. your baby issoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo adorable..
Thank you very much.  I tought my baby would always have a brown skin color because as I grew up and still do have problems with being mistaken as a Spanish person.  I have the dark olive skin color also with the dark brown hair.  My husband has a dark carmel color to him and we made a white baby.  LOL  But no matter what color we are or our little babies come out we are all beautiful in our own ways.  And thank you again for the praise of my baby.  Yes he is very adorable but wait till he starts exercising his lungs. LOL  Take care  
Your son is so beautiful, and actually darker than our daugther. I am blond and blue eyed, so I guess she takes after me for now. Thanks for the feedback and congratulations on being a new mum!
My children are multi-racial.  I am black and DH is white and Mexican. While both children have red tones, my DD is very light with greyish-brown eyes and soft, fine hair.  DS has a darker tone and thick, curly hair and bright brown eyes.  They are both beautiful but have different characteristics.  A child's hair and skin tone, regardless of ethnic back can change over a span of years.  
im white and my babys father is half white and half black and my baby is really dark is that possible? shouldnt she be light cuz we both have white in us?
of course its possible because hes your babies father. your baby doesnt have to be white. it just depends on what genes were recessive. babies skin color can change
I am a white latina and I married a white (gringo)lol.We have a 3 year old boy who is pale white and when he was an infant, he had  very blue eyes and blond hair.Now he still has his very light skin but his eyes are becaming hazel and his hair redish.It is always intersting to see the changes.

MOZARTCOWGIRL what is the problem with being mistaken for spanish? In Latin America we have diffent races as well as in the USA. I am VERY PROUD of being latina.We have very beautiful people there

Canche
I wish i was your child. Id love to be mixed
I come from a mixed family, and I also have two mixed neices and nephews as well as several cousins. My aunt Tina is black and my uncle Martin is hispanic... and my aunt Tina said that her children started out darker then became lighter. So my little sister whos little boy is mixed asked if her son would change color and aunt Tina said look at the color touching their fingernails, and that is the color they will be. I dont know how true that is. I have heard though that the color of their eyes with be the color surrounding their pupils. and so far I know thats true because both my daughters always had a ring around their pupils that was a different color than the dark blue that their eyes were for months and months, and as they got older the color spread and now my youngest has hazel and oldest has light blue!
I am a mixed bag of european heritage though I have dark curly hair  and full lips from my Italian father.  My eyes are light blue.  DH is South Asian, tanned skin but whiter than most from his region and slanted green eyes light a cat.  DD has my curly hair very tanned skin and huge dark brown eyes.  She had blue eyes until about 3 months then they changed.  I 'd say that by 6 months you could probably be sure what color they will remain. We were sure our daughter would have green or blue eyes but are very pleased with her outcome regardless, she is a little beauty:)
I WAS JUST WONDERIN IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME LMFAO BUT FOR REAL I HAVE A WHITE GIRLFRIEND WE  HAD A CHILD HE CAME OUT SO WHITE MADE ME WONDER IF HE'S MINE,BUT DEEP DOWN IN MY HEART I THINK HE IS,WHEN PEOPLE LOOK AT HIM THE FIRST THING THEY SAY HE HAS MY NOSE WTF,BUT HIS HAIR SO STRAIGHT GRAY EYES HE'S ONLY 12 DAYS OLD NOW BUT WONDER IF HE WILL CHANGE ANY,AM DARK BROWN JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO THINK SHE TOLD ME I WAS THE ONLY ONE BUT JUST NEVER KNOW IF SHE GOT WITH ANYONE ELSE WHILE WE WERE TOGETHER JUST DONT KNOW THESE DAY IF SOME ONE IS TELLING YOU THE TRUTH ANYMORE
Well I'm half Puerto Rican and half white and my father had dark hair and brown eyes, while my mother had dirty blond hair and green eyes.  I came out with light brown hair (platinum blond when I was a baby) and blue eyes.  My fiance is Puerto Rican with brown hair and brown eyes.  Our son came out with blond hair and brown eyes.  He has my eye shape and his father's nose and lips.  So you can never really tell just by looking sometimes.  If you are concerned then have her take a paternity test.  Or you can take the baby to have it done.  
my parents are both white BUT they both have very dark hair. (mom's is a deep red dad's is so brown it's almost black.) both have a normal complexion for caucasions. i'm blonde (it looked almost white when i was little) with bright blue eyes and extremely pale. (i was called casper in school...still am) mom and dad both have really curly hair...mines straight. both are tall (mom is 5' 10 dad is 6 ft) i'm 5'4. the only thing on me that resembles my dad is my nose..and i have my mums eyes and lips. other than that...i don't look like anyone in my family. but i know for sure that mom and dad are my mom and dad.