Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding after miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding after miscarriage

Good morning,
Two weeks ago i had a very painful miscarriage.I was not offered D&C,although there was still some tissue left.Following week i did pass the rest of the tissue and had a scan to check my womb.The doctor told me my womb was clean only some blood left which should come out by itself.They also found a little infection,so i am on Penicillin now.It has been 2 weeks since the miscarriage but i am still bleeding{sometimes lot,sometimes only light spotting}and passing a few blood clots.I also have a little pain on my left side of my abdomen but every time blood passes I feel releived.How long can I be bleeding after a miscarriage?I am worried that all that bleeding can cause some bad infection and will make me infertile.If there was not any tissue found on the scan,why am I still passing some blood clots?Is is just old blood?
Thank you very much for listening to me.I wish i can put my mind at rest and start to look forward to the future.
Jita
So sorry to hear about your loss. I know how painful it is. I miscarried at about 6 weeks, and along with my Dr, decided to avoid a D&C if I could. I was told it is perfectly natural and ok to let your body pass things itself, and I felt comfortable with that. I was nearly 6 weeks from start to finish with my miscarriage, including clots, etc. Although you may not have any tissue to pass according to the US, your bosy still has clotting to do to repair itself. I'd go back to your Dr if you were truly alarmed, but passing blood etc for a while, although hard, is normal.
Best of luck as you recover.
I'm sorry to hear your loss too. I have two suggestions for you.
1. If you think you have not passed all the tissues, which I would think so too, ask your doc to do a hCG test for you. If you have passed everything, your hCG level should be close to normal in 2-4 wk.
2. Don't 100% rely on your u/s result. It could fool you.
3. Infection can sure prolong the time of bleeding and flow of tissue passing out. Control your infection ASAP to avoid further complications.
4. Pain on your left side: ovarian cyst(s) after hormone wreck? Go for an u/s if it persists or gets worse.

Here is my experience that led to these suggestions (1, 2, and 4) I made. I had 4 m/c. The 3rd one was through D&C, which was not completely cleaned. I bleeded for almost 3 weeks, on and off pattern, just like yours. My hCG stayed above normal for almost 4 months, before the uncleaned tissue finally died out by itself. Sure my menses were messed up too for those months. So I think if I were you, I would have asked my doc to test my hCG level. It will at least indirectly reflect whether all the tissues have been passed. With my 4th m/c, the doc's fellow did an u/s in me within 24hr after I started m/c and passed the embryo part. She said that everything had been passed and my uterine lining was thin. But two days later, I passed a 5cmx3cm placenta and 4 big pieces of uterine lining and blood clots. I personally did not want to have a INSIDE u/s done that early. Because I was still spotting at the time and didn't want any chance of infection. But they insisted. I don't think the u/s provide that accurate information in terms how complete this m/c was.

Hope these information give you some help. I hope you recover soon. God bless.

Maggie
Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the ovarian cyst. I developed the pain as well after the 3rd m/c. As it got worse, I called for doc's attention several times without any good explanation. Finally, I took control and changed to another doc who did an u/s and continually monitored my hCG level. He found that I developped two ovarian cysts, one on each side. That is why I made the 4th suggestion. It may not be all true for you. But just keep these in mind in case you need. Again, sincerely hope you recover fully and reach your goal of parenting a healthy baby.

Maggie
I understand your pain..the more we try the more it becomes sometimes tough..with no answers..but have faith and ask all answers from ur doctor who is monitoring you.Spell ur concerns and be clear.
Good luck!
I had a missed miscarriage , we found out on the 6th of Oct, and then took the pessary to finish the process, since then i've been bleeding and stomach cramps stiil, and it's over a month on, whats going on, i had a scan which showed everything was clear, they said i would bleed for a few days more but that was 2 weeks ago, how can this go on for?
Am so sorry to hear about ur loss, I had a miscarriage 6 months ago. i was 14 weeks pregnant and went for an ultrasound appointment, that’s when the doctor told me the baby has osteogenesis imperfect ( it is a fatal  bone disease) . I lost a baby few years ago right after birth to the same disease. So I had to have an abortion, which I did and everything was fine. The next day i went home and all seemed well. 3 days later i started bleeding heavily, with gushes of blood. i went to the hospital and my doctor told me i had some blood clots and it will pass. i went home and i started  bleeding very heavy which made me so scared, i went again to the hospital with my husband ,they checked  my blood pressure and it was low. The doc said we will do D & C. we did it the next day and it went well, 4 days after my d & c i started bleeding heavy again. i was so sad and confused, anyway, i went to the hospital, had an ultrasound and the uterus looked clean and empty with little blood inside. So the doctor said let me put you on birth control pills. The bleeding stopped and one month after I stopped taking the birth control pills, after I stopped taking them I was having irregular bleeding for almost 3 months. It took few months for my body to regulate itself and now everything is fine.  After a miscarriage few things can make u bleed:
• If u have remaining tissue from the placenta
• If you have mole pregnancy (simple blood test can rule that out by checking the HCG level. When u have mole pregnancy the HCG level becomes high). After miscarriage HCG level should drop to below 5. It took me 2 – 3 months for the HCG level to become 0. And I noticed right after it became 0 my period became regular.
• Hormonal imbalance, due to the milk hormone in your blood. (This will fix itself with time because after miscarriage ur body starts making milk) that will dry and go away in few months or u can take medication to drop the level down.
• Uterus doesn’t contract well which results in clotting and bleeding.
It’s very hard to go through such an experience. but believe me u will be fine. Don’t be scared.  Be strong and everything will be fine. I thought am going to loss my uterus and will never get a regular cycle again, thank god am fine and am trying to get pregnant again. I was so scared to a point where I go to the bathroom every 15 min to check if am bleeding. All I was doing is checking myself. It was funny but sad at the same time. U need to relax and think positive. Don’t freak
i had 3 miscarriage before, i noticed not all miscarriage are the same, with my old miscarriage i was clean after less then a week and few weeks later i got my period and it was regular. i think it all depends on how far u r in ur pregnancy. but i am telling u this out of experience, it takes ur body 4 or 6 months to regulate itself. it took me 6 months, this month is my first regular period. i hope it doesn’t take u that long. u can take BCP(birth control pills) and it will stop the bleeding, but i don’t recommend it because if u r planning to get pregnant it will mess up ur hormones and it might take a while for u to get pregnant again. plz plz forget that u r having irregular bleeding, if the ultrasound showed nothing inside, then u r ok. if u don’t have a fever, then hopefully there is no infection. if ur HCG level is below 5 or dropping down to that range. then u r fine. go with ur partner and travel somewhere. be happy because stress can result in hormonal imbalance. which can cause irregular bleeding. be happpppy :)
I was 8 1/2 wks pregnant (first pregnancy) and just experienced a miscarriage 2 days ago. Very painful experience (both emotionally & physically). Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to stop a miscarriage. It's nature's way of releasing or purging when there is something wrong: hormonal problems, infections, maternal health issues, implantation of egg does not occur properly, etc.

I spotted lightly (brownish pink) on the first day, that continued to day two. At the end of day two (at night), I notice the blood getting red and a couple clots the size of a grain of rice. Ironically enough, I was at my appt with a primary physician and she assured me that a little bleeding not accompanied by cramps is ok. The third day, bleeding got heavier and I started experiencing light cramps. To make a long story short- I went to the ER and while waiting to be checked in for a sonogram, I experienced a complete miscarriage and passed the embryo. Later sonogram was done (externally & internally) and obviously nothing was found.

It has been two days and bleeding and cramping went down exponentially after I miscarriage. However today, it has gotten heavier (at times) followed by some clots and tissue. Since this is my first pregnancy and miscarriage, I am not sure if this is normal to still be passing blood clots & tissue. And if so, how long should I expect this to happen and at which point should I start to be concerned?

Thanks for all your advice and support!
I just had an m/c about 6 months ago and today when I had my period I had a little bit of tissue.  I also had pain on my left side close to my ovary. The period before was very very heavy.  Im starting to get concerned again. It's been a long time since the m/c happened and I'm still feeling like I'm pregnant. My breast got really full 1 month ago and I thought I was pregnant again. I really don't know what is happening to my body.

Eli
I found this information. I hope it helps.

The physical symptoms of a miscarriage vary according to the length of pregnancy:[12]

At up to six weeks only small blood clots may be present, possibly accompanied by mild cramping or period pain.
At 6 to 13 weeks a clot will form around the embryo or fetus, and the placenta, with many clots up to 5 cm in size being expelled prior to a completed miscarriage. The process may take a few hours or be on and off for a few days. Symptoms vary widely and can include vomiting and loose bowels, possibly due to physical discomfort.
At over 13 weeks the fetus may be easily passed from the womb, however the placenta is more likely to be fully or partially retained in the uterus, resulting in an incomplete abortion. The physical signs of bleeding, cramping and pain can be similar to an early miscarriage, but sometimes more severe and labour-like.
Hi Ladies,
I have been reading several of stories from different woman who have been going through or went through a miscarriage. I just want to say to everyone that I am so sorry for everything that you have all been through. I had a miscarriage about a month ago and am still bleeding with clots here and there. I go in once a week to have my hormone levels checked and they are slowly droping. We were only 5 weeks pregnant and I felt from the start that something wasnt right. This has been a hard journey for me as I feel that something we wanted got taken away from us. I have been trying to stay strong and positive up until just a few days ago. I feel worn down and hopeless by this whole process and can not move forward as I am dealing with a daily reminder of what we lost. I hope that the light at the end of this tunnel is near for me. I have been praying but feel that my prayers are being unanswered.
To those of you of have experienced this more than once my heart goes out to you and I hope that one day your wish will be granted.
Christina
Tina, I experienced my 4th miscarriage last Wed. and I know how you feel.  Although, all loses were upsetting, this one by far is the hardest for me. I have truly experienced all 5 human emotions. I was only 5 weeks this last pregnancy, but I felt the greatest bond with this baby.  My sister advised my to go to a grief and loss support group, I found online at a local church.  I will attend on Wed. Nights to get my happiness back.  It doesn't help that my boyfriend is working on his residency in another state, and we broke up last Tuesday when I told him I was pregnant.  Life has its own sense of humor, which may not be a barrel of laughs for us.  As I'm praying for myself and my boyfriend, I will pray for all mothers' that bear this burden of loss.  Prayer is always good, but God also wants us to surround ourselves with his shepherds for comfort.  God bless you!
Sg
I so understand how you feel, I miscarried about 9 days ago. I tried to return to work 4 days ago, however I had no D and C. I thought it was just me having a abnormal MC. Through reading this maybe not. I think I just passed my baby. I have not returned to work again and until this is over, I do not think I can. My heart is broke and daily I pass clots, some say it is the placenta and today I am pretty sure it was the embryo. My boss who is a nurse told me that after a miscarriage you have your period. This is not what it is. Clots heavy bleeding and passing solid something. When I take a bath well I cant anymore it brakes my heart. I cant describe but I feel so worn out and wish it would end. Why did they not do a D and C? This way seems so cruel to me, my heart is broke enough. Now you want me to pass my baby the sac, the blood, the placenta What is the deal
I had a miscarriage 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am now cramping and losing blood clots just like I was when I MC. It's traumatic all over agin. I was 6 1/2 weeks and we got to hear the heart beat two days before I lost it. They did an external ultrasound and said there was a bit of blood but it would pass. I haven't stop bleeding yet and now it's very heavy and very painful. I'm on antibiotics because the dr thinks I have an infection but I don't have a temp. Can any one help????? Not only am I emotionally and mentally in pain I'm now again in physical pain. I just want it to be over. :-( Gabbie
Hi Gabbie, I am currently going through the same thing as yourself. On Wednesday the 20th of February i went in for an ultrasound after spotting which i thought i was 12 weeks they found no heart beat i lost the baby at eight weeks, my m/w told me to go home and decide what i wanted to do a D&C or pass naturally so i chose natural. Bleeding increased and decreased with small clots and liquid type tissue but nothing more was passing so was put in for another ultrasound on Wednesday the 6th of March which showed the baby still attached and some of the Amniotic sac still inside which had torn and loss of fluid and they have called it a missed m/c. At this stage i was like why did it not pass properly, the following day Thursday the 7th of March i was sent up to the hospitals Gynecologist Unit and had been given the same previous options D&C or natural except this time natural with the help of Misoprostol (it helps you contract to expel) so i again chose natural and was told that things would finally pass over 3 days and to be with someone just in case complications occur which are rare and to ring A&E if i was worried. I went home and packed bags to stay with mum as hubby had to look after our 4 y/o daughter, four hours after having the Misoprostol inserted i had very very heavy bleeding and was passing big clots i caught the baby in my second gush (clots palm sized some broken up) nearly bleeding like a fast dripping tap, after an hour of this i rung A&E and they advised if it persisted for another 30 mins to come in so i got off the phone and went back to sit on the loo it was not calming and mum was checking on me every few mins she went to get dinner dished up for us hoping it would have subsided it didn't and i started to feel sick i wanted to vomit i yelled out to mum and my body then felt numb and got pins and needles so I put myself on the ground trying to feel level with earth mum came running by this time (informed by mum i was groaning i can't remember this part) she managed to get me on my feet and walk me to the car where i collapsed hitting my head on the car on the way down (she has very bad Arthritis so had to call an ambulance she couldn't get me up) she lay me on my side as advised 40 seconds later i became aware of what had just happened and not long after the ambulance arrived. They helped me up and put me in the back where they tried to get an i.v line several times (i have naughty veins anyhow) so with the blood loss my veins wouldn't come out i was as white as a ghost and had a low heart rate. So we headed to A&E where i was met with a specialist and another doctor they asked if I had back or neck pain i advised not (from hitting my head) they then managed to get an iv line in and gave me a bag of saline did and internal cleaned away clots and gave me another tablet of Misoprostol to help pass the remainders with checking all obs every hour and was admitted to a ward. I informed them of having a small dose of Hemochromatosis it wasn't severe that have had to get blood removed weekly but was being monitored by my doc, the specialist said it shouldn't have an effect on the m/c and blood loss so that was a relief. The nurses were lovely checking on me every few hours where i still had a low heart rate and the bleeding had calmed right down with only a few clots overnight. The following day my heart rate was becoming better and they took bloods to check my Hemoglobin level which seemed low but in the safe range, I was advised i needed to have a internal and external ultrasound, it showed i had minimal clots left and could go home that afternoon Friday the 8th of march. I was met by the specialist whom given a prescription for Antibiotics: (Augmentin) to prevent infection, also Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Codeine for pain and was advised to eat iron food to get my hemoglobin levels back up and was given discharge papers to look out for smell or major blood loss again. The bleeding had calmed down and was starting to feel better over the weekend i was like "YAY" this is finally over. Morning of Tuesday the 12th March i got out of bed at 7 am and seemed to be fine then all of a sudden i felt which felt like it did on Thursday went to the toilet and was like "NO" its happening again, my uterus was contracting and clots and blood were pouring out and to be quite honest the best way to describe it is it feels like your insides are going to fall out. I rung mum to come and pick me up and take me to A&E as i couldn't drive in this state and hubby had to stay home with our daughter to get her ready for Kindergarten. We got to A&E and there was a major wait, a lady managed to get me in to get bloods then sent me back to the waiting room. After an hour hubby came up and mum went off to an appointment she had, we waited another 2 hours then finally they got me in, mum came back and hubby went off to get our daughter from Kindergarten to take her home (we did not want this interrupting her routine). They checked me over did obs and asked how my bleeding was by 4 pm i told them and showed them a pad from over an hour and it was very minimal, I was hoping the gush from this morning was the remainders that they saw in the scan i had my fingers crossed that it was all passed and the doctors told me my Hemoglobin level was still low but in the safe range and thought the gush was hopefully the remainders as well but again gave me an option of a D&C or i could go home, so decided to strong it out and go home. They kept me on my same Antibiotics and asked me to come back and see the Gynecology Unit of Friday the 15th of March and sent me home i was relieved. Since Tuesday the 12th of March i have had minimal bleeding and very very small clots rice grain like and blood fluid like. I had a follow up on Friday the 15th of March and was feeling much better in myself by then which i had advised the doctor whom did my obs and then got an overview from the specialist whom said i could go home and that there shouldn't be anymore complications but just to keep and eye on it over the next week and hopefully the bleeding will subside and that they would ring me on Friday the 22nd of March to see how I am. They also gave me a HCG blood test form to keep in my wallet in case the bleeding has not stopped by Friday the 22nd of March and to go in that morning for bloods if it hasn't so they can see what's happening with my levels. Sorry about the long story but its the only way I can really let it all out, its so much to go through mentally and physically. I would love to know where you are up to with things and how you got on. I am hoping I don't have Cervix Polyps or a Clotting Disorder, I just want everything to be over with so I can properly grieve and get back to normality. xxxx Toni.