Maternal & Child Community
Breast Milk vs. Formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Breast Milk vs. Formula

That is in breast milk that isn't in formula?  Why do they say that breast milk is so much better?  Is it still okay for my babies to be formula fed, will they miss out on something that they really need?  Thanks ladies!
You should google the benefits of breastfeeding. Here's a link on a 101 reasons to BF: http://www.promom.org/101/
I will be induced Aug. 21.  I breastfed my first two babies and will this one too.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love the bonding and the fact your milk is always ready.  Also, all the benefits.  It is the perfect food for baby, less gas, antibiodies, less sickness and such.  Also for Mommy, pulls uterus back where it goes sooner, convenience, reduces risk of breast cancer, and of course burns more calories causing you to get back to pre-pregnancy weight.  I know this sounds stupid but breastfed baby poo doesn't smell so bad until they start eating other foods, not like formula diapers.  I am just giving you some personal experience that I have found with breastfeeding.  I highly recommend it.  
I don't know how reliable it is, but one of the sources I read on this issue said that formula is not only an imperfect attempt to copy breast milk, but it also contains ingredients that is not so great for the baby.  All I can say from personal experience is that it tastes lousy, sort of like when you drink water from an old tin can and it tastes metallic.  Breast milk has all the goodies and tastes like milk.
Another kind of minor silly thing that I always notice about formula babies, they smell funny.  Formula spit up smells awful IMO.  I 'spose that's kind of along the same lines as their poo being stinkier also.  
One of my favorite things about breast milk is that it's so stable.  If you make a formula bottle and your babe doesn't drink it, you have to toss it.  If you pump breast milk, it is actually fine left at room temperature for 8 hrs I think it is.  It's been a few years, but that number sounds about right.  
Yes, they say Breast milk is the best for babies--in your case I don't know if you would be able to support all four babies at one time.  you may have the benefit of pumping and giving them all a little bit throughout the day.  Though I will say this do not stock up on formula for you will not know if your babies will like it or it will be good in their tummies.  I was licky I did use the Wal-mart brand for it is way cheaper than similac or isomil.  And the formulas are all pretty much the same in ingredients--for it is monitored very well by the FDA.  So I would say try and feed those precious babies but if it does not work out do not feel bad---that is why formula was invented was to help mothers--not punish them.  

One thing about breastfed babies they say--is they do not get sick as often as formula fed babies and it does reduce the chance of a women getting breast cancer later on in life.
Considering that you will have preemies, formula fed preemies are at higher risk for many serious complications.  Breast milk fed preemies have lower incidences of these complications.  
I agree with peek, you know your babies will be preemies and the best thing you can do for them will be to pump your milk so it can be fed to them whilst they are in the NICU. It WILL be possible for you to pump enough for all of them, you just have to be really commited to it: you will need a hospital grade double electric pump and will have to pump at least every 3 hours. Any newborn baby has an immature digestive system, preemies even more so and breast milk is the easiest food for them to digest and provides them with lots of antibodies and nutrients that formula can never replicate. My first child was eight weeks premature, he never did breastfeed directly from the breast but I pumped my milk and he was able to have breast milk until he was 12 weeks old and then I had to supplement with formula, what I did  not know at the time was that I did not have a good enough pump or pumped enough to maintain my suppy (I was given some very bad advice, another story!)and so he went on formula full time from about 4 months. Breast milk is always the healthiest choice, with 4 babies it will be hard and you may well have to go to formula later on as their appetites increase but breastmilk is 'liquid gold" (as the NICU nurses call it) and it will give your babies the absolute best start in life. At least consider pumping breast milk for them until they get home from the NICU.

Best wishes to you and your four little miracles!
i agree with mum2beagain. my baby is one month old, and we are still learning how to breast feed. she was born a month early, and didn't even begin to suck properly until she reached her original due date earlier this week. so i have been pumping. at times it seems like all i do is pump and feed her. but, she is remarkably healthy because of it, and for the past 3 weeks has been putting on over 2 ounces/day, or about 1 lb/week!!!! she has also grown 2 inches in 4 weeks. i'm sure she would be doing well on formula, but i really think it's the breast milk that has her thriving. the dr's very impressed and said she's gaining twice as much as they had hoped. give them as much breast milk as possible, and supplement with formula as necessary (i had to supplement for about 1 1/2 weeks)

i also want to note, that after years working in daycare, we noticed a difference in the number of illness formula fed children got as preschoolers compared to breast fed babies (many families are there for years so you can look for some patterns).
Even if its only for a couple of weeks, it will be better than straight formula from the start.  The babies will  not be taking anything by mouth for a while anyway, so you'll have plenty of time to pump and store colostrum and milk.

If you try and can't, that's one thing, they'll just have to use formula.  But just to choose formula from the start...I wouldn't do it with preemies.  Especially very premature preemies.  
They say breast feeding is better for the baby because the breast milk carries vitamins and nutrition that the baby formula doesn't always carry. Try googling for more info.

Best of luck and best wishes ; )

Jezzy
an ingredient in formula.. you will all be surprised to know.. is MSG

Zane is now 4 and a half months old.. and while i am in school.. he gets one ba ba of formula now...

being who i am . i did s seach on EVERY ingredient in the formula i was using..  and while the name is not the same.. its just the same old story over and over again.. its msg.

just like yeast extract.. and soy/corn/wheat protien is all msg.... so is disodiumguanosine 5.

i couldnt believe it.. im sitting here.. feeding my child msg.  
i know some wont care.. they will say that ... ehh.. its in everything.. but.. its not.. and if you look.. you can see the things .. that msg can do.... which are bad... i know that adults have a choice... i know there are many allergic to msg.... and i know that tiny babies immune system.. well.. you know all that..

these formulas have been here for a long long time.. most babies are just fine... it is a fact that msg can cuase real problems...
im allergic to it..... many are..

here are some links.. if you want to learn more.. the WIKEPEDIA link.. is the easiest for all to understand.. as thats what i have in my favorites now..  there are so many different names to MSG. and thats how food companies get away withadding it to your food... i mean.. when you look at your rice o roni.. and there is no MSG in it as you read... when you read.. sodium guaylanate..... or yeast extract... or hydrolyzed wheat protien.. you are just eating MSG .. they just like ot hide the real name.. kinda sneaky ehh!!

here are some links..
http://en.wikepedia.org/wiki/sour/#sourness
SCROLL DOWN TO SAVOURINESS.. there you can see the ingredient in baby formula.... ( as before.. its just another sneaky name for the same thing.. MSG

http://curezone.com/diseases/toxins/

the only formula so far that i have found ..without this engredient.. is SIMILAC Isomil ADVANCE..
and im wondering if its in there.. but i am not a rocket scientist.. but.. we all know SOY.. is the derivitive of msg.. im going to try and figure that out...lol.. in regard to the soy formula.. anyway....
take care everyone...
PLEASE!! this is NOT a fight i am trying to start here.. i KNOW.. that many will be pissed.. or.. theywill be like.. well. what do you expect us to feed our babies now???

zane gets his formula....once a day.. while i am a t work.. there isnt much i can do.. formula companies arent jst going to start making it without msg ini it.... i

i dont know what i can do.. expect keep searching for formula without msg in it.. so .. please.. no one get all mad at me.. i just wanted you to know!!
Another thing to know is that there are herbals (fenugreek and Goat's Rue) and medicinals (Reglan) that can help you get and maintain a milk supply.  Reglan is often prescribed to moms of preemies to help their milk come in.  And be sure to get a top quality pump.  Good luck!
Thanks ladies!  I am just worried I wont have enough milk for all four babies...
Hi, I am also looking into this as I have breast implants and there's a chance I  will have problems or reduced milk supply. I have breastfed 4 children already but one of them only for a few days, and they are all very healthy, in fact my bottle fed baby (now 10 years old) has less allergies than my other 3- which is weird! There are lots of things to consider and the ingredients are scary but sometimes it's unavoidable- you have to fed your baby something. I'm trying not to stress too much about it or feel guilty if I can't breastfeed, we all know that breast is best, but if for whatever reason it's not possible, formula is a  good second choice in feeding. All the babies I've ever known that have been bottle fed are still alive and well. I was bottle fed, I'm 31 years old and I'm still okay too. :)

Ruth xx
Newmommy's  talking about severely preterm infants.  Different story.  
As Peek mentioned, pumping while the babies are being cared for will build a good stock of frozen milk. I think you will be surprised at how much you will build up for those little peanuts. The hospital may very well provide you a good pump to use, if not they rent them. I would highly recommend only using a hospital grade pump given your situation.

Is it okay to mix some breast milk with formula if I don't make enough for all of them?
They ideally should start off on colostrum and then breast milk.  They won't even eat at first, and then it will just be very, very little.  Later, if you can't keep up with the demand, you may have to switch to formula.

You won't need massive quanitites for quite some time.  I think you are picturing full term, big healthy infants in your head.  Your babies will be very premature, and will need very little at first.  If they need more calories, the NICU staff will let you know and have you supplement if needed.  
My doctor says that with the cerclage that I will be able to carry my babies to 31-33 weeks.  I know that even at that point they are tiny but I'm just hoping for healthy babies!  Once they can eat on their own do I give the NICU my milk or do they use something else while the babies are in there?
No one can tell you how long you'll be able to carry the babies, cerclage or not.  There's a reasonably good chance of getting to 30+ weeks, and anything after that is critically important.  Each day is a blessing.

If you are pumping, you'll give them (the NICU nurses) your frozen colostrum/breastmilk.  Some preemies need more calories then breastmilk can provide, and sometimes a higher calorie formula is used to supplement breastmilk.  But there is no way to know anything until they are born.   If they start out on formula, it will be a special formula for premature infants.

You may want to see if you can visit the NICU for a tour sometime soon, and try to talk to some of the nurses there about what sort of care the babies will receive.  It can often be arranged through your doctors office, or you might just try calling the hospital and asking.  Its good to see the ventilators, the monitors, the iv machines, and the warmers so that you won't be so frightened or anxious picturing the unknown.

Since you'll likely be on hospital bedrest during the pregnancy, they can often arrange for you to go to the NICU while you're an inpatient.  We do that all the time for our mamas who are with us long term.

Here's hoping for a long and healthy pregnancy for you.
One more question...  once the babies are a little older and I only have enough milk for a few feedings a day, can I give them a bottle of breastmilk and then a bottle of formula and alternate that or once I don't have enough milk just stop breast feeding?  Thank you so much!  We are moving so I will have to wait about a month before I can do that but that is a wonderful idea!
When James was born at 32 weeks, he was a big baby for a preemie; 4lb 13oz, but he still only had a tiny amount of colostrum every 3 hours (like 5ml) by two weeks he was getting 30ml every three hours and I was pumping about 250 ml every time I pumped (about every 3 hours) so I had lots to freeze. When I didn't have enough milk for him later on I gave him some bottles of breast milk and some bottles of formula, trying to alternate at each feed. Eventually I went to formula all the time. James had a special formula for preemies that was prescribed to him by his doctor, it was not available to but in the shops and he had this until he was 6 months old, my point being don't buy formula in advance, you don't know what they will need until they go home from the hospital.

Oops, I'd overlooked the preterm thing, sorry. I'm in the UK. My local neonatal unit has a milk bank where breastfeeding mothers donate their excess, for mothers with prem babies who can't breastfeed for whatever reason. I know this as I donated last pregnancy. (It's all tested beforehand), do they do anything similar where you are?
Ruth xx
That was meant to read peekawho in the "to" column, for some reason it cut me short- think may have run out of characters to use. No offence intended!
Ruth xx