Maternal & Child Community
Can Blood Tests be wrong??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can Blood Tests be wrong??

I'm a week and 5 days late on my period.  My HPT's were negative and even my blood test was negative.  All I want to know is can blood tests be wrong??

Thanks!
Maybe if you got pregnant yesterday and the egg hasn't implanted yet...otherwise I believe they are very accurate. I would always act pregnant until you get your period, just to be on the safe side. But, I think most likely you are not. If you are TTC, Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice! I'll just wait patiently for my next perod.
Yes, they can be but not likely. You may have o'd really late and therefor your AF is late or you are pregnant and too early to tell. I know it sucks, but give it a week and try another test. First Response 4 day early one worked well for me.
Good luck!
IS it possible that i may have tested too early?  Blood test that is.  Or will a blood test be accurate that soon?
My dr. told me that a blood test detects pregnancy immediately....right after conception occurs.
I have a ? please help. I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago cause i was sick my bf and i had been trying to have a baby. The weekend before that we had a lot of unprotected sex. They tested me at the hospital with a blood test and it came back negative. I was due fore my period around the 19th. On the 15th we had unprotected sex. I kinda got my period but im only spotting and its not constant. what does this mean? should i take a test?
I had a feeling I was pregnant and since I was going away on vacation, I really wanted to know so that I would avoid all those tropical drinks...
My doctor told me that it would be too early to tell even with a blood test-- it was almost 3 weeks after my LMP...
It amazes me how many doctors tell us different answers to the same questions.... I had signs that I felt were pretty strong that I was pregnant right after ovulation so that would be a little over two weeks from the start of my last cycle so the next week I took a pregnancy test and it showed up so light that I was like it looks like the lines there but maybe not. So I called my doctor and since they like to get me on progesterone right away they had me come in so I would say it was about 3 weeks from the start of my last cycle and the blood test showed positive. I know everyone's body is different but my blood test did show before I was due for my next cycle....I get upset because sometimes I feel like the doctors fluff us off if it's not something life threating for example wanting to take a blood test early you know....but just thought I add my experience...good luck I hope you are pregnant!!!!
I think blood tests are very accrite so ur probly not prego.
Well if you asked me i would tell you you might be pregnant and not knoe it i would take another test if i was you.
LOL!!!  YES THEY CAN!!!  My negative blood test result's name is Samantha Danyel!!  lol  I had a negative blood test result almost a month after my last period in 2003.  8 months later I had my second child...a little girl.  I was treated extremely badly by the personnel that did the test because I refused to believe it was negative.  I had a POSITIVE ept test in a little bag that I showed them.  I went to a different office about 3 days later and they repeated the blood test.  This time it was positive.  I made sure the first people found out about it from my lips.  lol  Anyway, doctors are NOT GOD!!  You CAN get a negative blood result if your body just doesn't make that much of the hcg.  Mine hasn't for 3 pregnancies now, and my period is late right now and I again got a negative result on blood and urine tests.  I still don't believe it, but all I can do is wait and try again later.  Good luck everyone...remember to RESEARCH everything!!!  Don't just take a doctor's or a "chick off the internet"'s word for it!!!  (including mine!!)  ((((HUGS)))))

Sandy
So a Test can actually be wrong? Of course I don't think the Health clinc knew what they were doing anyway for I have taken two home test which they where both postive and one at the clinc which came out to be negative/positive. But when I took a blood test it came out to be negative I also went into the hospital because I had been throwing up blood and slight bleeding which only lasted a day. Also for three weeks now I have been having severe abdomrial pains and throwing up. The doctor said that I was fine that everything was check out but they couldn't tell me why I was throwing up or having severe stomach pains. I had a U-sound done the woman who did it said she noticed something but the doctor told her that I was fine. I really hope someone can help me. My boyfriends friends mom is a nurse and she says it sounds like a Utopia Pragency.
Can urine tests be wrong? My period is 10 days late and I have taken two different urine tests...3 days apart...both negative...but I am really regular with my period...any help? Thanks!
Yes, blood tests can be wrong. I have 4 children, not one test ever came out positive unless it was a blood test! Good luck!
I did the post above wrong! I meant to say urine tests can be wrong! Sorry!
yup it sure can. I am a personal witness. I took a hpt negative....then 4 days lata i went to do a blood test. aLSO NEGATIVE. that was on april 9th. Fast forward to this morning, i decided to take another hpt. To my surprise a second line came right away. It aint as dark but it is definately there. I got a doc app on monday....i will keep u updated.
hi im kristyn and lets just say im really young...i got married when i was 16 me and my husband have nevr used a condom i took an hpt about 3 days ago i was sopposed to start my period on the 8th and it is now the  19th my hpt came out negetive but i dont no why my period hasnt came ive never been late before  could i still be pregnent even though the test said i wasnt??
Um not sure, 2 weeks periods due,my last menstruation was on 10th April, whicch supposed to be due on 8th May following 28th day normal menstruation cycle. I  had this PMS syndrome starting on the 9th May onwards with thightening breast and tired thigh and abdominal butterfly tinggling with mild abdominal pain. I had done 3 time check For Urine pregnancy Test which all result is disheartening Negative. we been expecting for baby for the past 4 years...there is also spoting blood today 17th May and hopefully to have a positive outcome soon.. i hope it would not be heavy for the next 2 days.. hehhehe..