Maternal & Child Community
Can Hcg Levels go down then up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Can Hcg Levels go down then up?

Hello I am not sure what is going on.  I got a pos HPT 12/12 and had blood wrk and the levels came back at 21.4 which I know is really really low.  So the doctor had me get blood wrk again and the second came back at 19.4 1 week later.  I was under the impression that your levels DO NOT go back up.  so i assume I was/am  or already had a mc and maybe didnt know it.  I am not bleeding or cramping.  I had a norm pd 11/4 and a lighter one 12/2.  Now the Dr called me today and told me that it is weird that the levels only went down 2 and wants me to use progesterone supp. (which I am nervous about) and blood work again on tues 12/26 and see if the numbers go up.  She thinks there might have been a mix up at the lab.  But can they go up and if I am preg the levels should be higher right?
Don't worry about progesterone suppositories.  I just did that for my IVF cycle.  It will help with implantation.
When I had my miscarriage my levels were going down, almost back down to 0, then 3 weeks later they spiked up higher then they ever were, a couple days later I started bleeding. Then my numbers went back down to 0. My body didn't release everything at first, finally after the second bleeding my numbers went to 0, it finally realized there wasn't a baby in there =(. I have never used progesterone, but I have heard many ladies talk about it and it is better to use it and have to much progesterone, then not to use them and need it. I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this =(    Hopefully it was just a mix up with the lab. Good luck and lots of STICKY BABY DUST to you!!!!