Maternal & Child Community
Cerclage anyone have one before?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cerclage anyone have one before?

I posted last week about spotting at 16 weeks well I went into my regulard doc. appt. and he admitted me right away to the hosp. and they did a Cervical Cerclage that day and he put me on bed rest he said for at least a couple weeks I see him again Wed.  Anyone had this procedure done before? I will have to say I would rather have been totally put under than just a spinal.  I would just like to hear what you ladies experienced after or if you did do complete bed rest.  Thanks I know you can help me feel better the feedback allways does.
I haven't had one personally, but my friend's sister had one when she was pregnant with twins...everyone turned out just fine!  I think with any situation you can find the negative stories and the positive stories - I'd focus on the positive outcomes.  Wishing you the absolute best!  I know bed rest can be torturous - hang in there - it'll be worth it!
Hey!!!!! I just wanted to say I have had one done.The cerclage wasn't bad it was the spinal.I still have back problems from it.I wish you the best of luck and may God Bless you and your baby.
How many weeks were you when you had the cerclage. and did you doc put you on bed rest?  did you have any cramping after or anything.
Hello, and I just want to tell you that I'm so glad to hear that your doctor caught the problem in time!  In Janurary my husband and I lost our little girl, I was 5 months+ and I had cancer removed from my cervix years ago and without knowing what was happening my cervical wall was thin and we lost her totally unexpected... SO hooray for you and your doctor, whatever your reason for the cerclage was!  We are trying to get pregnant again and my doctor has already informed me that I will have to have a cerclage.  Is your doctor thinking you may need complete bed rest or just enough to let the proceedure heal?  I'm so glad to hear from so many of you that the cerclage is a successful procedure!  Good luck to you all, I just wanted to let you know that if you have cervical cancer removed keep a cerclage in mind because it needs done around 14 weeks to prevent devestation! -- Good Luck, God Bless!
I had a cerclage done on October 12th at 21 weeks.  I had not dialated but I was funnelling.  We always knew it was a possibility since I'd had a leep procedure some years ago.  I was being watched very carefully.  For now I am on bedrest for the duration of my pregnancy but my OB said she will re-evaluate things once I reach 28 weeks if I really want to go back to work.  I will agree that the spinal is no fun.  I am also still having back issues.
I was 12 weeks and my doctor said he was glad he did it then cause i was dilated to 2 cms. My first pregnancy I lost my lil boy at 21 weeks due to incompetent cervix so from now on out i have to have a cerclage done everytime ....oh, my other lil boy is 8 months now (the one i had the cerclage put in with)
I didn't know what to expect either.  The worst part was the spinal because during the procedure you are awake and aware the whole time.  It took the docs. about 45 minutes total but after it took about 4 hours for the spinal to wear off.  It was really weird trying to move your legs and not being able to do a thing.  I had spotting for about 4 days after it was minimul and very little cramping so the after effects weren't bad at all.  I am on complete bed rest now and go back tomorrow to see my doc and hopefully it will be good news.  Best of luck with everything feel free to ask me anything.
Glad you posted... Im supposed to be getting it done really soon.  I dont know what to expect.  I am so nervous.  I will be on my 16th week when it is to take place.  I'd love to know what your experience was like.  Did it hurt?  any problems now?  My dr said that I will have to go on complete bed rest after it is done.
Sorry to year about your prios loss.  If it helps which not much does.  They don't usually look for cervical issues until after you have experienced a second trimester loss.  Other than that they don't usually measure your cervix I also had a 20 week loss so my doc. specifically looked for this.  I am also at a high risk doctor.
THANKS, THAT DOES HELP ME FEEL A LITTLE BETTER. MAYBE I WONT BE SO HARD ON THE DOCTOR.  IM JUST GLAD I AM GETTING IT NOW.  I JUST WISH I COULD GET IT RIGHT NOW AT (12 WKS). SHE WONT DO IT UNTIL MY 16TH WEEK.  SHE SAYS YOU CANT GET IT ANY EARLIER.  AND THAT UPSETS ME, BECAUSE I KNOW THAT YOU CAN!
Thanks for that info ladies.  I wish I could say that I was getting this procedure done NOT due to a tragic situation already, but I am. I wish I had been told about this earlier also.  I lost my second son at 20 weeks last year, and only then does the DR tell me about this.  Not to mention, I had my first son 3 months early too. He only weighd 1 lb 6 0z. (He survived though). If I had known about this earlier, I would have done it last year too.
You can definitely get them earlier is the doctor monitoring your cervix with vaginal u/s? if so they may feel it is better to wait.  Just don't do anything to strenuous and take all precautions.  We can't have sex my poor dh it's going to be a long 5 months.  Anyway just keep a close eye on how you feel and bleeding etc.
I have had a Cerclage about 2 months ago.Is it still possible for me to have sex(I am 7 months) or should i wait till the baby comes??
Its so nice to hear that from other's going through the same thing I am! I am 9 weeks pregnant and have had 2 miscarriages at 9 weeks and 16 weeks. I am having the cerclage done at 12 weeks! I am a nervous wreck! I think I fear the epidural more than anything. Do they give you other options? I had 1 when I had my son and had problems with my back and bad headaches for a long time.
I had an emergency cerclage put in at 22 weeks - and I count myself as extremely fortunate - I didn't have a previous loss, a doctor just noticed that my cervix seemed a little short on my 18 week ultrasound (2.3 cm), so she sent me in for another one just to be sure. It turned out my cervix had shortened to 0.9 cm, so I had the stitch put in.
The spinal felt uncomfortable, but didn't actually hurt - they gave me a small shot of anesthetic before the actual spinal, so I didn't really feel much of anything. They do a spinal instead of general anesthetic, because putting you under puts the baby under as well - which is best avoided. For me, the procedure was painless. I had some bleeding for 3 or 4 days afterward, which is normal according to the professionals in the hospital.
I have been on bed rest ever since... I am allowed to get up and go to the bathroom on my own, and my husband bought a tub seat so I can sit down in the shower.
I am now almost 31 weeks along, and I am so grateful to the doctor who caught this - 7 weeks ago, we weren't sure if we would see our baby alive for more than a day... and now his chances are so much better for survival. We know we aren't quite out of the woods yet, but we can see the clearing from here. :-)
At 34 weeks, I am allowed to start moving around the house again, and can increase my activity weekly after that assuming the "ultrasound of the week" shows that everything is fine. They will be removing my stitch at 37 weeks.
Many of the doctors and nurses I've spoken to since were very surprised that I was even sent in for a second ultrasound... which is extremely frustrating - if you're in for your 18 week, it's just a quick check to see how long your cervix is... why wouldn't they follow up if it's abnormal? How many babies could have been saved if this was a standard procedure?
I'n currently 22 weeks and 2 weeks ago I had this procedure done. My first pregnacy I had my son at 26 weeks not knowing why I had him so early. Which I'm grateful cause I made it that long. He is fine he has some speech delay issues and eating but other then that he's good. With this baby I was already considered high risk because of my first pregnacy. It was then they found out that I had incompetent cervix she told me that i would get shots which I did every week to calm my cervixand still do even with the cerclage. My next check up she told me my cervix was even shorter and from there I went into the hospital to have the surgery. I was so scared I cried cause of the unkown especially when they told me they were going to put me under. I'll say this much when you go for sugery your nervous once you get in there and they put you under you know nothing and feel nothing when I woke up they were pushing me into recovery. I really didn't have any pain my back hurt from having to lay in the bed. I was put on a week of bed rest I went back to the doctor and she put me on another 2 weeks of bed rest so that's were I'm at now I think she not going to let me go back to work she just don't wanna tell me she just keep saying right now this is a very critical period for you to hold your baby. Even though you have the stich you can still go into labor. I never thought I could miss work so much.
I have had it twice. I have 2 living girls 12 and 9. Yesterday I had it again with another little girl. The cramping u get is nothing to what u get at the end. So dont even think about anything else but your baby. For the lady that said that she was upset because her doc was waiting til she was 16 weeks was because thats when your at most risk for miscarriage after your 16 weeks your not as much at risk.
My first daughter was born at almost 23 weeks, not sure still why but didnt catch in time for a cerclage. My second daughter was born at 38 weeks almost and we had cerclage put in at 20 weeks when I started opening. Now im pregnant with my third and I got it in before I started opening at 11 weeks, am currently almost 30 weeks and dr says no worries but I am 1cm dialated but still thick and high