Maternal & Child Community
Changing job while pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Changing job while pregnant

I wanted to ask you ladies, especial;ly those with kids, Do you think it is wise to switch jobs while pregnant? I have a job offer from a very good company. My current job is ok. but I think if I switch to the new one it'll be good for me career wise. I have conflicting feelings as to whether or not go for the new job. I am kinda scared that If my morning sickness hit then in a new environment I'll have difficult time. Please let me know what you think.
Thank You
How will it affect your maternity leave?  
The same. I am more scared about during the pregnancy that after i give birth. mostly the morning sickness part.
If you are in the USA they don't have to give you any time off to have the baby, as you need a year in with a company for FMLA to even be applicable.  That is an issue I ran into with my DD#2.  Are they aware of you being pregnant?  Are they going to give you adequate time off to be with baby and bond with her/him?  Are you going to have issues with accomplishing the tasks of the job while pregnant, sick, or whatever?  
They give 6 weeks maternity leave which is standard, in addition to the 10 days paid maternity leave that the company offers as incentive. I'll have 2 weeks of vacations, whcih I'll use after i give birth. So that'll make the baby 2 months old. the job is office type. Nothing that people can't do while pregnant, except that with my previous pregnancy(ended in MC), I had such a baaaaad morning sickness, that I basically would leave my office not caring what my would think.
how far along are you?
5 weeks.
HEy, the benefits sound wonderful!!!  I would definitely go for it!
its still early, i too would agree that taking a new job would be just fine. the only question i would have is, how long have you been with the other company? is it possible that if by chance you had any complications at all the olace where you work now may be more supportive of it?
Ive been with my current job for 1 year 2 months now. I think in my curremt job I would get more support in case of complications. some people think I am stupid to change my job and leave my comfort zone now that I am pregnant. But I constantly judge myself at my current job, thinking that I am not doing enough.
If you are taking on a more extensive job, those feelings aren't going to go away.  Personally, again, I wouldn't change employers.  I'd take advantage of the 12 weeks your current company may owe you (they need a certain amount of employees in a certain area as well), and the security.  You might get to the new job and have people trying to get you fired because they don't feel you are able to do enough, or anything like that.  Right now you have security.
Kind of long sorry.......

Don't know if you are spiritual or not, but I would pray long and hard for an answer for that one.  I have been on both sides of the stick, the only difference is I took the position not knowing I was pregnant and I know that if I had of stayed at my previous company it would have been better.  If it hadn't of been for the fact that the company decided to downsize, I would have been let go, because I was already on final warning due to attendance when they made the decision to downsize.  I got lucky and my boss said I could stay to the end since most people were jumping ship and they were going to need help closing the office.  The other thing is Indiana is an "at will" state - so basically you can be let go from a position for no reason has to be given.  Not sure where you live, but that's something to consider.  I have worked in HR for the last 8 years and I suggest before accepting this new position you should definitely find out the rules and regulations regarding attendance and leaves of absence. On the other hand I just had this happen again this summer.  I applied and interviewed for a position in May and then found out I was pregnant.  When they called to offer me the position I had to decline, and I know now that it was all in God's plan, he knew that he would be keeping my angel and I would need time off from work to deal with it.  He also had something else in store for me.  I had a missed m/c in July and a D/C.  I got an infection from the D/C and had to be hospitalized for 4 days.  Once I returned to work I was approached about a much better position and have since interviewed and been offered the position.  I said all that to say that if you talk to God about it he will lead you to the right decision either way.  I'll be praying for you.