Maternal & Child Community
Child Care

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Child Care

I will be finishing school in March and hopefully getting a job soon after, i just want opinions about how ppl feel about dAycare centers and out of home daycares. I thought i was totally against daycare centers being as i worked in one and thought they cared more about how many kids they could get then the actual quality of care they give to the kids. I found it disgusting and i didnt like it at all. But then earlier today i watched a show about home daycares and the children were being abused and even a few died. Now im leaning towards daycare center again but im worried my daughter will constantly get sick going there. How do you guys feel about this?
My children have been in both in-home daycares and licensed daycare facilities.  For me I did research and used a referral system we have here in Indiana.  I also took recommendations from family and friends.  At the end of the day you have to trust God to keep your child safe when she is away from you.
I'm a lisenced home daycare provider. I know what it takes to get lisenced. I had to take the classes, get a background check (my husband and my 19 year old son too), take CPR, get my home inspected, etc. The only thing that surprised me is that they will only reinspect once a year now. I think they should do it more often. I lived on base for years doing daycare and they're much stricter. They would inspect once a month. I just got used to that. Now I'm state lisenced so it's a little different.

Just be careful. If it's a home daycare, check to see how the house looks. Is it well lit, cheerfull, clean? Do they have age appropriate toys and activities? Meet the rest of the family too, and the other daycare kids. How does the providers own kids and daycare kids act towards her and each other? This will tell you a lot. I love kids, so of course I would never abuse or neglect kids. Just be careful.

If it's a daycare center, try and find a child development center. You don't just want them to babysit your kids, you want them to be teaching them things too. Do they have educational toys and activities? Is the center well lit and clean? Do they have a good ratio for children and providers? The ratio should be no higher than 6 babies for each provider. There can be more for older kids. Do they have art activities, child sized computers? Do they have outdoor play with safe, clean equipement that is fenced in? Are the meals in accordance to FDA standards? Are they using a state food program? If so, your child will get nutritious, balanced meals and snacks. Do they have a routine like circle time, art, outdoor play, snack time, free play? There should be some free play but you don't want the kids just running around screaming and out of control while they look on. Do they have camaras in all the rooms? I know a lot of daycares don't have those. I like to see them. They have the moniters up at the front desk so that all the rooms are watched. That's why I like the base daycares the best. They are so strict. They are supposed to be some of the best in the world. I know you're probably not military though.
Do an experiment if you have time. Check out a few daycares. Do a tour. Talk to the director and the providers that would be in your daughter's room. The ones that you narrow down and think you like, go back and leave your daughter for a drop in time, just a couple of hours while you run errands. Come back earlier than expected and stand outside her room and try and watch unobserved. Watch how the providers interact with the kids. Check to see if there's been any complaints about the daycare. Ask to have some parents names and numbers to check and see how they like the daycare. If they won't give out names and numbers for privacy reasons, ask if you can leave your name and number and have a few parents call you.

Yes, unfortunately there are some daycares and daycare homes that should never be lisenced and watch children. Trust your instincts. Listen to your gut. If you have a bad or funny feeling about it, listen to it.
Once you enter your daughter into a daycare, do surprise drop in visits. That's something else you should discuss with the director before hand. They should be fine with you doing that or having lunch with your daughter. They may ask that you not come durng naptime so that you don't disturb the children. Get to know the daycare providers, the director, everyone in the daycare. If you have any concerns, address them to the director. Watch how they deal with that. If they blow you off, that's not good! They should take all concens seriously and work with you.

I hope any of this helps. Just really investigate and do your homework. There are many good daycare's out there. You're obviously very vigilent. She should be fine. Daycare can actually be a good experience for her, in the right setting. She'll make friends and learn how to interact with other kids her age and other adults. It will help her social skills. Once she's in daycare, give it some time. I'd say a month, to adjust. She might cry and cling to you when you drop her off. After she's gotten used to it, watch how she acts. If she continues to act unhappy, try and find out why. I really think she'll be fine though. Like I said, there are many good daycares with people who really do care about the kids. I know they show stuff on TV to scare us, but I believe they are in the minority.
I hope any of this puts your mind at ease a little bit! I know it's hard to leave our little ones. Just take one day at a time. Take care. Best wishes.
i think its pretty much a catch 22 whatever you decide. there are always risks involved with either one. i think the best thing to do would be to research lots of different places, in-home daycares as well as daycare centers and make an informed choice. set up appointments to visit every daycare in your area. personally, i went with a daycare center, but its interesting because the director of the daycare, which is called Giggles & Wiggles Academy (too cute!), worked with my mom in a daycare for 6 years, then ran her own in-home daycare for 6 years, before building this daycare she is running now. it is a renovated residential home and there is an infant room, and two toddler rooms and a maximum number of children allowed to be enrolled at any given time. i love it there. obviously, im very comfertable because i know the director personally and gre up with her children but, like with any other daycare, there are the same concerns that every other mom has. i made sure to ask a lot of questions. not just to the director, but to all the caretakers. i was maybe a little bit overbearing the first week or so he went there, making sure they had his routine down and he was getting used to them. the first time i carried him in and he jumped out my arms into the teacher's, i was sad to see him so close to someone else, but i felt so relieved, i knew he was getting more comfertable. since he began daycare in september, he has been sick a lot. but that can be expected i think with any daycare situation, whether there are 5 kids or 20. and to tell you the truth, i think its good to build their immune systems earlier rather than later. i think as long as you do your research, you'll know when you find the right enviornment for little ava. good luck!
Wow thank you guys for all that info. April i wish you lived in my area, id trust you. I know the daycare i worked at did had all the activites and plans but it was dirty to me. They would have snack time and the teacher would just throw crackers and cheese(which looked gross) on the trays like they were animals or something! ANd then she would just get a wet paper towel and wipe off the counters, thats not gonna kill any germs! And then the kids noses would be running and they wipe it with their hands and pick up toys. Makes me sick to even talk about it. I guess it all depends on which centers too. Plus their food was horrible, i wouldnt of even fed it to my cats. They had steak nuggets and it just wasnt good. I would LOVE to find a home daycare that doesnt have many kids, maybe just a mom whose children are in school and she has just a few kids to watch to make some extra money. I do have an aunt who watches children, i dont get along with her real well but id obviously trust her the most. But the thing is shes got atleast 10 kids. Thats way too many for one person to watch. Thank you ladies again!
Well, thanks for the compliment! :)
Like I said, keep looking. The daycare should not be dirty. The food should be nutritious. That's why I said I love the base daycares. They are so picky! I got my first license through them. I used the daycare several times for drop in care for my little one. They are very clean! They use bleach water on everythng to disinfect and clean. It's very diluted though so you don't smell a strong odor of bleach. They also would have the children wash their hands before and after eating at a sink with running soap and water (the sink was child sized). They also washed their hands after coming in from play and after toileting. That's how it should be.

Be careful that you don't use someone who has too many children. In our state we can't have more than two babies under the age of 2 and a total of 6 kids full time with 2 before and after school care for home daycare. You can get a special license for 3 or 4 babies under 2 but I wouldn't do it. I think it's too hard for 1 person to take care of more than 2 babies. I don't think they're getting enough attention. It's different for centers, though. They usually have 3 or 4 providers in each room to help.
And make sure if you use a home daycare that they are licensed! There are too many unlicensed people out there watching children and that can get dangerous. They didn't get the background check like we did. They didn't take the classes like we did. And it can be illegal for them to be doing childcare if it's more than one family or a certain number of children. Just be careful and do your homework. Everything will work out! Blessings! :)
i totally agree with the caretaker to child ratio also. my mom worked for a short time in the infact room at the johnson & johnson daycare and one person had 3 babies. she said she managed to do it just fine, but it was a lot. the last thing you need is a stressed out person taking care of your baby.
For me it was all about luck.  I had an at hoem provider who flaked out on my last minute (about three weeks before I went full time).  I went to the local Montessori School.  I HATED it and it's the supposedly "best" and most expensive in town.  Everyone recommended it.  I couldn't do it.  It didn't feel right.  I cried after we visited there.  Well, thankfully, a lady in our neighborhood, an ex-student of my husband's, who also has an early childhood degree, said she would love to watch my daughter!  It has been great.  She keeps my dd full time (5.5 months), she has her own 10 month old and she keeps one other baby who is 6 months for two days a week.  It is the best set-up ever.  And dd has more toys to play with there than she does at my house.  Most of all you can really see that the sitter loves my dd and my dd loves her too.  It makes me feel so comfortable to be doing what I'm doing.  My advice is if you're going to do at home, network!  Ask everyone you know if they know someone and call, call, call around.  I was so diligent about it and the original lady I got in my first trimester.  The only bad thing about at home providers is my sitter was sick for three days two weeks ago and then last week her daughter was sick for two days.  I have no family in town but we know a lot of people so I was luckily able to get a good, relieable, and trustworthy replacement.