Maternal & Child Community
Conceiving Naturally At Age 45

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Conceiving Naturally At Age 45

Does anyone here know of someone that became pregnant naturally with no medical intervention at all, at age 45?
I turned 45 in February, I have no children, and was just wandering if it is common, because I just don't hear very much at all that it happens.
I was always very irregular with my cycles, but since turning 40, they have been like clock work.
Even this month, on May 7th, I had that feeling like I was ovulating, with that kind of pain or soreness down there, and it lasts for a couple of hours.
I took a OPT and it came back with a dark pin line.
Does that mean I was currently ovulating or would be the next day?
I do remember seeing on May 6th that EWCM once when wiped there.
LMP started on April 21st.

Thanks.
My mom conceived naturally when she was 45, but it was her sixth child.  I hear it is more common for over-40 ladies if they already have a string of kids.

My fertility doctor told me that the likelihood starts dropping in your 30s, and my sister said just the other day that there is a 1% chance after 40.  (Don't know where my sister got that, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's right.)  

Also, of course, the likelihood of carrying to term is reduced with maternal age (miscarriage rates are higher the older you go) and the likelihood of a child with various problems such as Downs is something like 1 in three after a certain maternal age.

Check out online resources for more.  Good luck, whichever way you want to go!
I would say that given the fact the signs of ovulation were there for you and right about on time that you are in fact ovulating. Every day you here or see women who were able to conceive naturally into their fourties and who have delivered healthy children. Having children later in life may be more difficult and your likelihood for some chromosonal abnormalities increase, but that isn't to say that those things are inevitable. Consult with your doctor, find out the risk factors, if you are looking at actively trying to conceive, get a head start by taking prenatals now and extra folic acid.

Medical intervention after 40 isn't what is used to be. You are not guaranteed failed IFV's or IUI or multiples. There many ways that are a lot less invasive to assist a couple with conceiving. Given your age, I wouldn't spend too much time trying naturally as the clock is ticking. Only if it were as easy as it is for  a man,lol. Swhile the risk of some defects increase from the mans side, many can and do conceive children well into their 50's and 60's. My best friend who is my age (27) is married to a man 30o years her senior and they just had their 3rd child last August. I swear she even thinks of being pregnant and it happens.

Andi
My BF mom conceived her last one, I believe, at 46
My sister works with a woman who conceived at 48! She had just remarried and as far as I know, she conceived naturually.  Unfortunately for her though, she was violently ill, and I am not sure what happened but she had to have a D&C when she was 4 months along.  YOu know what, she is trying again!
I am 37 and trying for number 3.  I had my first at l8, second at 27.  I know, really big gaps!  With the first two I got pregnant right away, this time is different.  We've been trying for 6 months and I am going crazy!  I'm getting nervous that this is going to take me into retirement age!  I start my second Clomid cycle this month and I've got my fingers and toes crossed!