Maternal & Child Community
Contractions at 14 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Contractions at 14 weeks

Well, the contractions started last night. I called the on-call doctor and she said there is nothing they can do to stop them so I have to wait to go into the office today. I am absolutely devastated. I had 3 m/c before 8 weeks, and this one finally made it past 1st trimester and then BAM, I am gonna lose this one too. I am officially done. I am going back to my adoption route that I was on before this pregnancy. I would rather have 5 failed placements than have another baby die because my body is stupid.

Anyone else ever have contractions this early and go on to full-term? They aren't painful, just very tight feeling but they are coming frequently and I have been very well hydrated.
i'm very sorry if you do go on to lose this baby. i haven't been in your shoes, but i wanted to offer my support. hopefully everything will go okay today.

***hugs***
I think Braxton Hicks contractions can start around this time.  I'm not 100% sure but that could be it.  Don't count this pregnancy out yet.  You don't know that it's a bad sign.  Wait to see what the doctor says and I'm sure they'll listen for a heartbeat and you'll hear a nice strong one.  Think positive!  I know how you feel.  This is my 4th pregnancy and I'm hoping that things go all the way this time. Let us know what happens and try your best to relax and let this baby know you're not letting go.  
Do they feel like period cramps, or your entire belly tightening up, and releasing?
Not painful, just irritating, and slighty uncomfortable?
Do you think there is a chance you are experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions, and not labor?
I had them at 14 weeks, pretty severe, and they are harmless.  I am now 35weeks.  
I think its normal to have braxton hicks at this point in time.
I've seen women with frequent contractions that go on to deliver normally.  Hang in there and we'll all hope for the best with you.  
I am 17 weeks and I have started to have the braxton hicks contractions already!  Any word yet from your doctor??  Good luck, please let us know what happens!  
Mine started later than yours at 20 weeks. Hang in there, rest and drink lot of fluids-you can really be dehydrated while pg and not be aware of it right away. Fingers crossed for you.
Oops, forgot to add that I went to 36 weeks with that pregnancy and all was fine. Best wishes.
Think positive...  I know, I know, people always expect the worst and hope for the best.  Just think positive; when you get back on-line this afternoon after the appt, you're going to tell us that everything is fine and dandy!!!!  Keep us posted.
Just got back from the doctor. He confirmed the contractions, but never even mentioned braxton hicks. I am now on bedrest- at 14 weeks. Do braxton hicks feel the same as regular contractions? My cervix is still closed, so I hope it stays that way, but the contractions are happening very frequently (like every 15-20 minutes).
Braxton Hicks contractions are false labor.  They are a tightening of the muscles.  You will just feel like a squeezing around your belly.  I get them but mine started at 27 weeks.  They probably could start as early as 14 weeks.  You may not lose this baby....please keep us posted and I will pray for you and your baby.
Can't they give you something to stop the contractions??  My bosses wife had pre-term labor with one of their kids and they gave her something that she said was really gross....  okay, I just asked him-  she took magnesium (he thinks) but she was 8 weeks from term-   and she said it was really really awful because i guess it shuts down all soft muscles, eyes, jaw, limbs, etc are hard to control-  he said they might not do it at 14 weeks though....  but maybe it is worth asking about???  I wish you the very best of luck!!!  you are in my prayers!!
I'm sorry to hear of your dilema...  Keep your head up and try to get as much rest as possible.  Bedrest means, no strenous activity and lots of lying in bed.  Don't get up if it's not necessary.  It's not worth it.  Just relax and get a lap top if you don't already have one.  Try not to sit up alot... I'm 23 weeks and I feel pressure down low.  I have already begun to feel braxton hicks but I also have placenta previa.  Keep us updated, hope you get to feeling better.  Everything will be just fine.
My contractions started at 12 weeks.  They didn't affect my cervix until 18 weeks, but then I had a cerclage placed.  I continued contracting (from 20 weeks on, every 5-10 minutes apart) but I did carry to 34w5d.  Good luck!  You can e-mail me if you'd like to talk.  Just let me know and I'll write my e-mail address.

Nicki
Im 14 wks nd started having braxton hicks last wk. Went to the doctor earlier this wk and was put on procardian to try to stop them. I am schedule to get a cerclage n 2 wks bcuz i hav a history of early dilation. The only problem is that if the braxton hicks turn into real or even stronger contrations, they can cause the cerclage 2 rip the cervix open. I know scary. So all i can say is just hang n there n stay positive. Do exactly what he says. Bed rest means bed rest. Do not get up unless absolutely neccessary. My last pregnancy, i dilated at 19 wks, got a cerclage n put on complete bedrest but was hard headed. water broke at 22 wks n i was put n da hospital for the remainder of my pg. I had emergency c-section at 24 wks nd 2 days. Baby was 1lb 10oz. He will be 3 next month. So just relax n stay well dehydrated. Take care love!