Maternal & Child Community
Cyst while pregnant!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Cyst while pregnant!!

Hello everyone I was just wondering if any of you have ever had a cyst on your ovary while pregnant... I am 9 weeks pregnant and they told me that i have a cyst on my right ovary. It was 3 cm at the time and she told me that as long as it does not grow to 6cm then they will not have to remove it. If any of you ladies have ever had this I would love to know what the out come was. I am a little worried and I have been having some sharp pains on and off in my right side!!
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was thinking that when I had one, my dr said that was normal when you are pg and it is actually helpful to the pregnancy - as long as it doesn't get too large. I think it's normal and nothing to worry about.
i had a cyst while pregnant found out at 20wks it was 4cm by the time i was 32 wks it was 21cms had it drained while pregnant. it was 21 cm to 5cm and 3 days later went back to get an u/s and it was 10cm. Just for your info a cyst does NOT effect your baby at all. The only concern is the blood supply. If the cyst on the ovary were to twist it would cut it off. Which is rare. If you are givin the opportunity to get it removed i would do it you are still very very early in pregnancy to where if if you were removed your baby will be OK. An ovary has nothing to do with the growth of your baby. And to continue my story.... i gave birth while having the cyst still there...at my 6wk check up i had an u/s and the cyst was gone. The doc is unsure if it burst while giving birth or if it just went away on its own.... but i wish you the best of luck and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy
it is not rare that women get cysts just because they are caused from extra estrogen and your hormones are outta whack. I am not so sure its a good thing though but i could be wrong...
I have one too that is actually 9 cm by 6 cm. They are ok, and they monitor you very closely with it.  On my 9 week sonogram it wasn't there and then it was there on the 12 week one.  I don't go until next week to see where we are with it, so I am hoping that it hasn't grown!
I have a couple on my left ovary, my Dr. said not to worry, pretty common.  She didn't give the size though, so they must be pretty small.  I wouldn't worry if your Dr. isn't concerned.
Cysts are wonderful in pregnancy.. they release the hormone progesterone to help keep the baby alive..  The cyst is from the egg itsself so your baby came from your right ovary!!!.. Mine came from my left.. I had a follow up ultrasound to make sure the cyst was shrinking or not growing.  

Congrats!! your perfectly normal..
I am the rare case and do not want to scare you, but if Dr. says needs to go, then let it go.

I did not listen to my Dr. and by 13 weeks lost my right ovary and appendix and by 16 weeks lost the left ovary! Now I am left with a HUGE scarf from belly button down to my private parts and NO more babies for me!!!

So, not ALL cysts are that good!
Hi there
I am also 9 weeks pregnant and have just been in hospital to have a cyst drained. My cyst measured 17cmx 12cm so pretty big! I was given a local anasthestic and then had a needle drain away the fluid, untill the cyst measured about 4cm which the doctor seems to think won't cause a problem. I am still going to the hospital every 10 days to be monitored and observed via u/s. It was a pretty painless procedure and the baby seemed to be fine on the u/s. So if I was you I would just make sure that you let the doctor know of every symptom that you experience and make sure that you are being monitored regually too. Good luck!
I don't know if I am pregnant yet my menstrual cycle has not been seen for 4 days now and i took an ultrasound 7 days ago my doctor said i have a cyst on my ovary but did not mention any pregnancy. My question is wouldn't the ultrasound show pregnancy?
I had my first u/s today at 8wks and was told that there was "a little bit of a cyst" on my right ovary.  Dr. told me that it was most likely a corpus luteum cyst and will keep an eye on it, but will probably resolve on its own.  After doing some short research on ovarian cysts while pregnant, most opinions seemed to be that it was fairly common and not anything to stress about unless it continues to grow.  Not to make too light of it though, do ensure that you monitor to ensure that it isn't something more rare.
it seems like a cyst is very commen to have while pregnant, but can a doctor mistake an egg for a cyst??
hi there i had a cyst with me 1st child it grew that big they at to wait until my child was born to remove it, it was like 6 months after i had my child they had removed it and cos they left it in there that long thay at to take my ovary away aswell. and now i have found out i am pregnant again and have another cyst on my other ovary so it is common to get them some just go on there own and some dont but they will keep an eye on it for u so donnt worry to much about it
I had one that actually did get up to 6, but it didn't grow that large until 21 weeks when there was nothing they could do. It was not harmful to the pregnancy at that point and it was actually more harmful to remove it. It hurt very badly....I'd compare it to actual childbirth! But, my little guy got here safe and sound and the cyst was gone upon delivery.

Good luck!
I too had a fibroid tumor with my 2nd preg. I had asked if the baby could bruise me from the inside? I showed him the area that hurt (middle of upper abdomen ), he felt there and had me feel it, it was a hard ball shape, the size of a lemon, I also had 1 lower, but didn't bother me. He said it was common in preg. and should go away after giving birth. If not they would surgically remove them after birth. Sure enough they shrank back down after my daughter was born.
I am 4 weeks pregnant and I have a 4cm cyst, at my ultrasound today (2nd one) they found a lot of free standing fluid which has my Dr concerned.  I'm having intense pain occcasionaly and he said that as well as the fluid could be side effects from the cyst or signs of an ectopic pregnancy.  That really has me scarred especially since my husband is out of town with work and I'm here by myself.  Has anyone had an ectopic pregnancy that could give me any advice about what signs to look for?
I am 24 weeks pregnant and discovered something in my vagina. I saw my doc today and she said that it was a cyst. It only bothers me when I'm standing, as it shifts down into my vaginal opening (due to the baby's weight/pressure). She made it seem like it was no big deal, basically nothing can be done bc I'm preg. It's very irritating, and I have 4 more months to go!  I stopped going for walks, and I feel it whenever I'm upright. Has anyone else experienced this??
hi i am 9 weeks pregnant and i have just discovered that my right ovary is covered in cyst is about 9 of them, a couple have burst im already high risk of miscarring my baby the doctors are telling me that theres a change i wont be able to carry ma baby thru the rest of the pregnance, but it was reading and see that there are many women who have cyst but no mulitplies and i was wondering is there ant one who is in the same boat as me with more than 3 cyst on one ovary?
I have a cyst on my right ovary and it was discovered on my first u/s.  It measured at 6cm initially.  The doctor said that it is normal and does not seem to think that it will cause a problem; however the person performing the u/s made a big deal out of.  She told me if I have any pain in my right side to report to the emergency as soon as possible.  I am 17 weeks now and lately I have been having a lot of pain in my side.  I am unsure if it is from the pregnancy or is it the ovary bothering me.
I am 6 weeks pregnant, and in intense pain from cyst in my left ovary, at 5 weeks i was told I was having an etopic pregnancy, and to wait 2 days, and get it checked again, after my last ultrasound about 3 days ago, i was told it was a false alarm, and so far it looks like it is a normal pregnancy. I am having horrible pains, same as before, so I guess its from cyst. anyone else have these pains and still had a full term pregnancy?
i had really bad pain in the lower right side of my abdomen. i had went to the emergency room where they did a sono and an internal sono. they told me the sac looks to be in the uterus and every thng should be fine. now couple days later im having slightly menstrual like cramps with occasional bleeding. should i be concerned and go back to the ER
hi there,i want to know if there is anyone wh i having/had what i have.ive had dark brown blood only little bits.like old blood.ive also had really bad stomach cramps n pains.my dr. is usless and wouldnt tell me anything.im 5-6 weeks pregnant and i went for a scan today and they told me i have a normal cyst which most women get whilst pregnant,but im so worried im going to loose my baby.somebody help me i going out of my mind.i carnt wait 6 weeks until my next scan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm 9weeks pregnet,and i found out that i have a cyst on my right overy(mesured at 6cm),and i found out that i also had a blood clot in my plactenta.the docter said that would b okay and he'd just keep an eye on it and that i was on pelveic rest,so no sex..and i went to the obgyn on tuesday and it srank now its mesured 4 1/2 cm.so thats good but i'm not sure if its okay to have sex while this cyst it still there.has anyone been thur this? and what did the docer say?
hi i had a cyst found at my 20 week scan, it measured 3cm, i had to have blood tests to find out what sort of cyst it is, and a week later ive had a letter to go the hospital to have a transvaginal scan, im very worried does anyone no if this is normal or is because my bloods showed up something serious. amy.
Please ladies keep a check on those cyst any type, I was 5months and two weeks and about two weeks ago i had a (Bartholin Cyst) for about 4 days and it burst on that fourth day well i went to the Dr, all he did was look at my vagina and said that everything looked fine, well that Dr. was suppose to give me an antibotic (antibiotic) about three days later i started cramping real bad and i was a seeing period like blood i called my midwife and she was saying oh your body is going through the changes at this month and you will have the cramps and slight bleeding, well a day later i checked myself into the hospital and after being there i started throwing up and then my water broke well i just wanted to tell yall that, my baby was stillborn-they named it a" bacterial infection" Please make sure your doctor treat you! (Had i known this my baby probably would've been saved )=(
no it doesn't i had one done and it didn't show pregnancy until i informed my doctor that my period was late. he tried to tell me that cysts stops your cycle. how can that be and mine were regular for months. i have since then missed 2 periods and had a negative test. although my stomach continues to grow, could i be pregnant?? i look like i'm about 4 or 5 months. i'm also afraid to be ! i will be taking another test i will keep you all posted on the outcome.
my doctor says that a cyst during pregnancy is normal but should go away by 12 weeks but if it dont they will have to keep an eye on it as it could pose a problem later if it gets to large I have one now that is about 2cm and painful so I will be talking with him about it again.
Im 12 weeks pregnant tomorrow and have my scan on thursday. I had emergancy scan at 6 weeks and it showed a cyst on my left ovary. They sed they wont be able to remove it untill baby born. But iv seen coments of people whov had cysts removed while pregnant so can they? And is it common for the cyst to grow quite big? Im really nervous for my scan on thursday after researchin about cysts :/