Maternal & Child Community
Dogs & Pregnant women

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dogs & Pregnant women

I am 5 week pregnant, i have two Labs and every one in my family is pressurising me to give them away and that is the last thing i would ever want to do, i love them a lot.

Are they dangerous for me & my baby?

If you have any article on Dogs are not dangerous for pregnant women. Please share it with me.

HELP!!
Dogs can be dangerous, but common sense can prevent most things. Never leave the baby unattended with your baby, not for a second. Not even the best behaved dog. I have a border collie/lab that is my 4th son, but he is not alone with the kids because you never, never know what could happen in an instant.

As far as them being dangerous to pg women? I don't know that I have ever heard of that being an issue with labs. My dog sees me as the alpha and he was even more clingy while I was pg. Labs are sweet and very loyal dogs, not at all known for aggression, but have quite the reputation for being...um...not the smartest of dogs ; )

Talk to your Ob and your Vet.
There's no need to get rid of your dogs. Go to your library and check out Cesar Millan's latest book, "Be the Pack Leader." We used his techniques when we brought my DS home and continue to use them. Dylan is 5 months old now and we've had no problems with any of our 4 dogs (3 inside dogs and 1 outside). I'll admit, I had some concerns about our chow-heeler mix (the alpha) and our retriever mix (long history of abuse before we got her), but everything has gone smoothly.
Ooops, I meant never leave the dogs alone with the baby. Heck, my friend has had dogs her entire life, they were always around her kids, etc. One day her Newfie was alone with her then 6 year old daughter, next thing they know they are at the ER getting staples in Charlie's head. No one knows what happened to set Ty off.  When her vet heard she nearly fainted dead away, Newfie's are world renowned rescue dogs and usually have a very mild temperament. But it goes to show, you just never know.

The papers are full of stories about dogs attacking babies ("But he/she was the most gentle dog...") so it is just best to train the dogs to get used to the idea of a baby and still practice common sense. I remember one story that chilled me to the bone when I had Jonathan. A woman left her wee one (6 weeks old I think) alone in the swing while she went downstairs to answer the door. She stood talking with the neighbor for a few minutes, next thing she hears is the dog attacking. She was too late. Leaving kids alone with dogs is just not a good idea.

All that being said, my kids and dogs are super close. But we don't allow them to tug or pull, lay on, push, shove, or generally disrespect our pooch. I cannot imagine our lives without Eleu. Of course with him barking in my ear now because John is talking to the neighbor outside makes me wonder...just kidding.
I HAVE 3 PUGS. THEY MEAN THE WORLD TO ME. I WOULD NEVER GIVE THEM UP. THEY ARE AFRAID OF BABIES AND BARK AT THEM. BUT I THINK IT WILL BE DIFFERENT WITH THEIR OWN BABY. CUZ YOUR DOGS ARE YOUR FAMILY TOO. JUST MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THEM THE SAME AMOUNT OF ATTENTION YOU ALWAYS DID OR THEY WILL GET RESENTFUL OF THE BABY. BUT LABS ARE SO SWEET, AND THEY LOVE KIDS. I THINK YOU'LL BE JUST FINE TO KEEP THEM. I AM A HUGE ANIMALE LOVER. TO ME IT WOULD BE LIKE GIVING AWAY MY FIRST 3 KIDS BECAUSE I HAVE ONE ON THE WAY, LOL.
What is your family afraid of,  exactly,  do you know?  Germs?  That the dogs will knock you over and injure you?  That the dogs will hurt the baby?

Goodness,  sweet loveable dogs have lived in families with babies and small children since the dawn of domestic dogs.  I never get why people put their dogs on rescue sites saying I have an adorable sweet sweet dog but now we're having a baby so we have to give him away.

??

If you have a dog that's extremely nippy and unpredictable,  and strongly dislikes children,  that's a good reason to give them away before the baby.  If they're social loving dogs - well,  babies LOVE dogs!
i'm about 10 weeks along and have 2 dogs as well. and giving them up isn't even an option. they're both muts rescued from the pound (ones a german shepard/border collie the other....we have no idea what he is but both weigh over 45 lbs) i still play with them, walk them, feed them and they even sleep with me. sure they sit on my lap or lay across my legs but neither of them have hurt me. in fact the younger (he's only 9 months old) has become even more attached to me. without these two i'd be....incredibly lonely. i'm home by myself for the most part during the day and they're my company and (yeah i know this is lame) 2 of my best friends. my parents (whom i'm living with till the df is out of the marines in october) would NEVER even consider getting rid of them. as i'm sure you know after having a pet for so long (even a week) they become a part of the family. that'd be like....getting rid of your brother or cousin!!! lol. in fact i have a 9 month old nephew who i babysit 3 days a week and the dogs absolutely love him! they even sneak in a kiss if i'm doing 2 things at once....especially the puppy. he just LOVES playing with the baby and trust me the baby is ROUGH on them. and they've never so much as growled at him. our oldest dog just looks at him and humphs then turns around.

heck i'm even considering getting a cat. just making my mom change the litter. lol.