Maternal & Child Community
Effacement at 32 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Effacement at 32 weeks

I just got back from a near all day doctor visit yesterday, at which time I had my first non-stress test.  Everything was going well when the doctor noticed I was having contractions - a bout 4 in a 30 minute time period.  I am only 32 weeks pg and she is worried about premature delivery.  She checked my cervix and I am not dilated, but my cervix has effaced already to nearly 50%.  Had an internal u/s done and baby's head is pushing right on the cervix - hence the pressure I've been feeling the last week or so.  I am freaking out that I will go into labor early - and this is TOO early.  I have been put on bedrest and go back on Friday for some more testing.  Anyone been effaced this early and made it full term???  VERY WORRIED!!
I have been 50% effaced since about 34 weeks, and I am currently 38 weeks and still 50% effaced and no dialation.I never had contractions though. Relax babies born at 37 weeks and after are considered full term, there is a drug they can give you to stop labor if you do go into labor. I have also heard that the viabilty of a baby born at 32 weeks is very good, they might require a little time in the nicu but they normally come out just fine after some special care. Remember to follow doctors orders, and every day your baby stays in your womb just increases her chances of survival outside of it.
I had a little girl at 36 weeks and se came home the next day, just fine. I also had a little girl at 23 weeks, yes 23, and she came home after some time in the nicu but she was very healthy - of course after a lot of work. but she is fine. just stay on bedrest and monitor your contractions, they do have medicine for that and stay away from any stress.
Thanks for the encouragement.  I was at a family function this last week and everyone commented on how "low" I was carrying - little did I know the little guy managed to snuggle way down there already.  It's unnerving and now I'm getting my bag packed, car seat installed, and all his clothes washed just in case!  I don't know whether to be excited or freaked out....a little of both I guess.  AND it's my first child, and my prenatal class isn't until JUNE 25!  Will I know what to do if something happens sooner?!???  Thanks for the reassurance though!  I appreciate your comments!!
My son who is now 4yrs. 11months tried to make his grand entrance at 27weeks.  The Dr. gave me some meds and it stopped my labor.  He was eventually born at 36 weeks and 1day.  Which is still early but he was perfect.  Birth weight was 6lbs12oz.  They said if he would have went full term he would have been around 9lbs.  Just take it easy and RELAX!  I know it is hard to do but grab a pint of Ben & Jerry's and turn on the TV.  Good luck!
Hi I just want to say that I had my 2 year old girl at 30.5 weeks due to my placenta having lakes which is blood that kind of pools in the placenta. We still really don't know why, but my daughter is fine. She was in the hospital for a month and was 3lbs 4 oz. She has no delays and is full of energy. She is a hand full!!!We love her. Technology is wonderful now. It is scary though. I had a friend who had her daughter early due to toxemia a few years before I had mine and her girl is great shes now 7. I think seeing her gave me a lot of hope. I knew my baby would be fine and yours will be too!! Rest a lot and be positive. The other woman who posted that had similar situation seemed to get close to her due date. You will be fine and I will be thinking of you .Keep us updated take care
LOL!!  Ben and Jerrys sounds like a plan to me!  Thanks again to everyone for sharing your stories.  It certainly helps a lot!!!
a pint of chunky monkey never hurt anyone!  :)  Good luck and keep us posted! You are in my prayers!
This may help you to calm a little. I am 31wks pg and I have a bicornuate uterus. I went into preterm labor at 27 wks which they were able to stop. I have been dialated to 1cm and 50% effaced from that day and nothing has changed yet.
I have been having contractions since I was 16wks and have been on strict bed rest since 19 wks because of having contractions 10 mins a part and the high risk.  So as long as you do everything that you can, and listen exactly to what they tell you to do, hopefully you'll be fine.  I hope that will help you a bit. I know that it is a very stressful and worrisome situation. Think positive, because your body reacts to negativity!