Maternal & Child Community
Exposure to heating oil fumes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Exposure to heating oil fumes

I am 34w and my bil and sil own a heating oil business and I stopped by there today to pay my bill and the garage and the office are one building and when I walked in I noticed a strong smell and I asked if they had been painting and she said that they had not, but it is probably oil, which of course makes sense.  I stayed and visited for about a half an hour b/c she kept me talking that long, but all I kept thinking is I have to get out of here this smell can't be good for the baby!! I actually felt a little lightheaded sitting there talking with her.  I know it was minimal exposure but I also know that those types of fumes are very dangerous to a fetus.  With this pregnancy I feel like everything you could be exposed to I have been.  I pump my own gas and I try to turn my head away from the smell but its hard not to sit there and inhale some.  My dh paints cars at an autobody shop for a living and occasionally he paints them in our detactched garage too and I have only been exposed to the left over smell on his clothes.  I took a class about a month ago in a area they had just remodled and put new paint and carpting in about a week or two prior. There were some very strong new carpet smells going on in there.  I think you get my drift.  You name a smell that is toxic and I have probably managed to minimally expose myself to it.  Please let me know if you agree that minimal exposure to these toxic smells are probably not going to do any harm right?  Its just that everything you read they don't really tell you you need to be exposed to these chemicals for long periods of time for them to cause a problem right?  Let me know what you think!! I am sooo paranoid LOL!!!
Hey colleen,

ok...exposure to any amount of toxins can do harm to any individual.  But before you panic, realize that before anything gets to your baby, it has to fail getting detoxified out by your liver, kidneys, and other detox organs.  What I always recommend to any couple before TTC (no use now that you're pregnant--in fact it can even be harmful) is to do a 30-day detox.  I don't believe in scientology, but the founder of scientology L. Ron Hubbard did a lot of research on how to detox.  Look up his book "Clear Body, Clear Mind" for more information.

Hope that helps,
Kate