Well I saw my regular doctor today who said that he will give Aspen until monday to get out of the breech position and if she isn't by then that I'll either have to get a external cephalic version or a c-section. Ugh.
Basically if I decide to get the ecv then most likely they will be able to turn her (unless she is in a position at the time where it is too dangerous to turn her) since it has a 2/3 success ratio. But if I do get it I heard that not only is it super painful but that they will induce me right after so that she doesn't turn again (since my doctor said that if she likes being breech than she'll turn herself around again). But if something goes wrong while turning I'll still have to get an emergency c-section.
So... anyone been through this? Pro's and con's please. I have 5 days to decide and I am so scared I am practically making myself sick with worry. :(
Oh and another thing I live on the third floor of my apartments and there is no elevator so that comes in to play as well.
I am in the same situation as you but I am only at 34 weeks. Basically my baby has been breech since I have been able to tell - her head is always in the same place - right below my right ribs!!
I am also torn about the version vs. c-section. My older sister had a version with her 2nd child. She had 3 kids with NO epidurals and says she would rather push out another baby than EVER have another version. It was horrible for her although I don't think this is the norm. Her son went into distress with a HB of 30 and she had to be in the hospital all day. He did stay head down and later was delivered vaginally so it worked but was awful for her.
I have talked to a resident, a midwife and an OB about this. All three say the version is about 50% successful depending on who does it and how many they have done. They all say about 10% of women have a terrible experience while the rest say it was tolerable but uncomfortable. My OB said she has never seen a baby go into distress like my sisters did but she believes it can happen. My hubby is against the c-section just because it is major surgery and you can get infections, etc. (although not likely). Because of this I will "probably" try the version if she doesn't turn by herself but if it is too painful I fully plan to tell them to stop. Also, I don't remember my OB saying they would deliver right away after the version...seems to me they will let you go naturally when the time is right. Seems like the baby would not be engaged right away.
I don't know a version and vaginal birth sound Ok to me. An emergency c-section sounds very bad to me. A version, followed by vaginal and then c-section anyways (like if the labor is unproductive, etc.) also sounds awful to me. A planned c-section actually sounds wonderful (except for my dh's view). Let me know what you decide and how it went!!!!
Many times nowadays, they give you an epidural for the ECV. If you are worried about pain, you can ask about that. Especially if they are inducing you right afterwards anyway.
I had a version in the office with my second (remember, this was many years ago), and it was completely painless and quick. He turned right back again the next day, but was vertex again a day or so after that.
Its just a personal decision. I wish there was a concrete answer. You have to do what seems reasonable and right for you and your family.
See next week I'll be 38 weeks and if they turn her she might still turn around so they said they will probably induce because they wouldn't be able to turn her again if she does that. Ugh... I wish there was more time I want to do it vaginally but I am not good with pain and I heard that the turning can be super painful. Like what happened with your sister I would hate for them to try and turn her and only to have complications and have to get a c-section anyways. I'm just torn I can't believe I have to make a decision by monday! I only found out that she was still breech yesterday too. :(
You can always tell them to stop the version if it gets too painful or stressful for you and then just have a scheduled c-section. I don't think most people realize they can even do this but the midwife I saw today told me to definitely say something if I felt like it was too much. I think my sister's was an extreme case(although it does make me hesitant...). Who knows your baby may just flip right around very easily. I think once they get the baby turned, I read that they may have you jump around, walk a lot or go up and down stairs to try to get the baby engaged so they don't pop out again.
I am not sure about you but I am only 5'1" and I have a feeling that my baby is just stuck because I am a smaller person. With 6 more weeks to go I feel like I am about to explode. Anyways, whatever decision you make will be the right one for you, and the decision may be made for you anyways (maybe the version won't be successful or maybe she will turn on her own in the next few days and you won't have to decide!!). Send me a message after Monday and let me know how things go either way!!
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.