Maternal & Child Community
Eye contact avoidance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Eye contact avoidance

Okay.. my son has been doing this since birth, and I keep waiting for him to out grow it but he isnt'. It has gotten better but he still does it a lot.  When he was newborn he used to stare out of the corners of his eyes, or look up at the ceilings.  It has changed over time but he still avoids eye contact with me.  He will look at me from across the room or when he is laying down, but if I try to hold him or sit him up and make eye contact with me, he won't.  He will completely avoid eye contact with me.. Is this normal for 6.5 months?  I have not been around a lot of other babies, so I really don't know what other babies do.  I'm just really starting to get concerned.  
Both of my kids were making eye contact by this age.

Most babies are farsighted up until the age of one. That could be why he pays more attention to you at a distance.

If you are truly concerned, I would make an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist.
i don't know if it's normal or not, so i can't give advice. my daughter has been making eye contact since very early on. some other things to consider- does he track objects or follow them as they move? do you or your husband have poor vision? if i were you, i would take wannabenana's suggestion about seeing a pediatric opthalmologist, or at least speak to your ped about it. of course it's probably nothing, but better to be safe than sorry. it's not unheard of for infants to need glasses.
I still avoid eye contact with people, but I'm a very shady type of person.
Hi!  My little guy needed glasses early as well. One question I have for you is does he like to stare at light?  They call it light gazing and it's normal during the first 3 months but then should diminish.  We have been seeing an opthamologist since Jaden was 4 months old. They first diagnosed him with Cortical Visual Impairment and then decided at his last visit (he's 3 1/2 years old) that it was visual maturation delay.  He had a vision therapist from 4 months to 3 years who did a lot of amazing thing with him and taught me so many things.  We are lucky enough to live in a city that has a special program called CCVI (Children's Center for teh Visually Impaired) for kids with vision problems.  He now sees great and it still a little on the far sighted side so we watch him closely.  He had the glasses for about 6 months and they decided they really weren't doing much for him but I think we are back on the track of getting them again.  She said at his last appt. that she would either do them now or would be willing to wait 6 months and re-evaulate. I decided this would be best as he's not struggling to see at all and I think glasses would be a FIGHT at 3. AHH...

Another thing you might think about and I'm just throwing out ideas and could be COMPLETELY off base as I don't know your child, is that a lot of kiddos with autism do not make eye contact.  Just a thought but I know that's a common symptom.  

I'm giving you a website of a picture of Jaden with his glasses on at 5 months!  GOod luck and I'd DEFINATELY get him checked out by a ped. opth.  There's no www in front, just copy and paste!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8Act2bdw1btGsM

When ashtyn was 6 months old, they thought he had what is called Cortical Visual Impairment. Kids with this don't have very good depth perception and so they look out of the corner of their eyes because it is easier to see things. The doc described it to me as an adult trying to look through swiss cheese, you will be able to see but some parts of the picture would be missing when the image got to the brain and so it gives the appearance of swiss cheese. What you describe sounds a lot like Ashtyn did, and so our opthamologist referred us to a neurologist for an MRI. The MRI did find damage to the visual cortext, which is why Ashtyn had the eye contact issues, but they decided that cortical visual impairment was probably not the cause of his issues. Either way, your son should probably see a pediatric opthamologist to rule out any eye problems
I don't know, it is strange.  For the last couple of days, I couldn't' make him look at me and then after I posted this thread he does a 180.  He has been looking at me all afternoon... :)  This is what I've noticed..when he was newborn he would stare out of the corner of his eyes, look into lights, up at the ceiling and out into space... he doesn't do that anymore, but now what he does is if I put him in front of me, he will avoid eye contact with me...  if he is laying on the changing table or in his crib he will look right at me... if he is in his highchair and from across the room he will look right at me.. but if I try to hold him in front of me, he will look away and NOT make eye contact with me... If I sit him on my lap or .. anything similar to that.. he will NOT make eye contact with me.... When I took jacob in for his 6wk check up the dr noticed him staring up at the ceiling and expressed some concern but by the end of the appt, jacob had stopped doing it and was being interactive with the dr so he was less concerned.  I have since then changed dr and I haven't brought it up to the new dr.. Jacob is pretty interactive with me and developementally I believe he is on track.. I just worry about the whole eye contact thing... until Jacob was 5wks old, he would not make any eye contact with me at all... you can look at some of his early pics on my profile and see him staring out of the corners of his eyes.. maybe those early days just haunt me... And it worries me that nobody else really says their babies were the same way and that is normal..

I don't know.. I can be a little neurotic at times and I'm really trying hard to not be that way with Jacob..

Well, lack of eye contact is an early indicator of autism, but it very possibly could be something else. When do you go back to the doctor? You might mention it and just see if the doc is concerned or not?
I reamember asking the dr at her 2 week appointment when my daughter would make eye contact with me and she said her eyesight was not good enough yet... ( was worried about autism because of all the hype lately) well she did begin to make eye contact around 2 months and now does it all the time... could be eye sight or autism or something else...either way you should get some advice because early treatment is the key for both of the problems
hi i know this post is really old but i was wondering how jacob is doing my daughter looks at me anytime except while holding her , she follows objects etc. just wont look at the person who is holding her she is 5 months old and has done this since 2 months of age .. And i was wondering how your son is doing know
My son is 4 months years old and is doing the same thing. Did you go to a specific doctor?
I live in Brazil and I'm very worried about this.
Can you tell me how is your baby now?
Thank you
Hi...again this is an older post but any updates? My son is doing the same thing at 6 months. Pease let me know.
Hi...again this is an older post but any updates? My son is doing the same thing at 6 months.