Maternal & Child Community
Feeding baby whole egg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Feeding baby whole egg

When did everyone start feeding their baby eggs? I haven't fed my almost 13 month old any egg yet (except for things with egg in it) and I have even avoided the yolk (which is apparently safe by a year old). Did anyone wait until their baby was 2 years old to feed a whole egg (yolk and egg white) to their baby? Allergies run in our family- but not egg allergies...but is it better to wait until the age of 2? I've heard and read conflicting answers...
I started feeding my kids eggs around a year old-  I had no problems...  I actually think my MIL started feeding colten eggs before he was a year old-  even though I asked her to wait until 12 months for stuff like that-  she was giving him peanut butter too!  whatever-  I guess he survived,  just kinda irritating!  :)
Our friends at Wholesome Baby Foods say:

Eggs are one of the top 8 of all allergens. It is the white of the egg that is allegrenic and not the yolk. Many pediatricians will say that egg yolks are typically fine to be introduced to  baby around 8 months old.  It is very rare for anyone to be allergic to the yolk of an egg.

The egg whites on the other hand, contain 4 proteins that can range from mildly to highly allergenic. Most pediatricians say that egg whites/whole eggsm should not be fed to baby before 1 year of age.

Many studies that have been done on infants with egg allergies find that by the time the infant has reached age 5, the allergy has been outgrown.  This is good news as the egg is highly nutritious and an important part of ones diet.

As always, you should consult your pediatrician about specific feeding habits for your infant.  There are many infants to whom generalities may not apply.
Definitely ask your doc. We don't have any allergies in our family, so I started around 9 or 10 months with eggs. just a little and now he can eat an entire egg at almost 15 months with no problems and loves them.
we started feeding our boys scrambled eggs when they were 10 months old. they LOVE them. they gobble scrambled eggs up so fast. lol. we've also given them peanut butter (their pedi said to just try little bits of stuff to figure out what they're allergic to and what they're not) and they love that as well. so as of right now neither of the kiddos have any allergies. to animals or foods. thank god!
I will avoid PB for a while, only because I am allergic and I want to avoid her having that allergy, but..eggs I may try (just a taste) soon and see how it goes. I have baked a lot of things with eggs in it and she's been fine. I just asked the doc too and she said that it would be fine to start after 12 months.
The reason peanut butter is contraindicated until kids are so old is not that they would be allergic to it immediately; the concern is that they would develop peanut allergies later in life if they are exposed to it too early.  I think the current recommendation on peanuts and peanut butter is not until they are 2, for that reason.