Fetal Heart Arrhythmia Found during Ultrasound
Hi I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help ease my mind.  I am 21 weeks and just had an ultrasound today.  The doctor told me that the babies heart beat had an arrhythmia and he wants me to have a fetal echo cardiogram.  We also told me that the babies "electrical system" is still immature and this could fix itself.  I'm worried sick, which I know isn't good for the baby, but I can't help buy worry.  The only appointment that was available is not until May 20!  Too many days to worry.

Everything else during the ultrasound was normal.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.  
I have three boys, all born with varying cardiac issues. My first was detected the day after my EDD. His ASD closed on its own at 6 mos or so. As a result I had an echo with my second, showed something odd in the pulmonary artery, but it didn't change the course of the pg. He is almost 4, sees a cardiologist every year for an echo, still has that spot of turbulence in his pulmonary artery that remains a mystery for the pedi cardiologist. My third didn't get the echo and at 9 mos was discovered to have a VSD. It is still there at 18 mos and we are just following it closely.

All three also have a Still's murmur as well...just like me.

Try not to stress. It is very common for baby's to have arrhythmia's in utero. The echo will tell you more and the good news is if there is an ASD or VSD, it is likely to close without outside intervention. Keep under the watchful eye of your doc and you will be fine.

Thanks for your comment.  It really helped ease my mind and gave me more information to read up on.  

I am not exactly sure what an arrhythmia is, but if is where the baby has an irregular heartbeat or it skips a beat, my friend went through the same thing.  I panicked, but she was calm (her husband is a Dr) and they sent her to a cardiologist  and had and ECG and it had already corrected itself by the time she had that done.  She was about 20 weeks when they discovered it too....the Dr told her it was not uncommon.

Kerry
I went in for my 38 week checkup when I was pregnant and they saw the same thing with my Daughter. Being that she was already about 8lbs, they decided to do a c-section but as soon as she came out, she was fine. No more arrhythmia. I was told it was common and usually corrects itself so hang in there. :)
Its pretty common, but of course should be checked out.  Keep us posted on how things are going.
Thanks everyone,

I'm trying to stay optimistic...I'll fill you all in with the detail on the 20th!

http://www.yalemedicalgroup.org/news/ymg_copel.html
Hi, I am finally posting back to my orginal question.  May 20th 2008 will be a day that I will never forget.  I went in for the fetal echo cardiogram and ALL WAS WELL!  I was so happy, but my joy was short lived because the doctors noticed that my cervix was opening!  From that day on I was put on bedrest.  16 weeks later, I am happy to report I gave birth to a beautiful and healthy baby girl, Christina.  She is the sweetest baby who is growing like a weed.  She's 14 months and I am totally amazed with her.  

Thanks so much for all your help!

Carol