Maternal & Child Community
Fetal Hiccups- Normal??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fetal Hiccups- Normal??

I was wondering if lots of fetal hiccups is normal or not.  It says in one of my books that it is not normal for them to have them more than 4 times a day.  Has anyone heard of the hiccups being bad?  Thanks,

Gina
I am 36 weeks pregnant and my little guy gets hiccups all the time.  It averages anywhere from 6-8 times a day for at least 10mminutes at a time.  My doctor said not to be worried it is normal for them to get hiccups.  It just means they are practicing breathing.
I really do not like that book 'What to expect when you're expecting".  It really puts these horrible thoughts into my head.  It says something about the cord being wrapped around the neck and one of the symptoms is the fetus having the hiccups 4 or more times a day lasting 10 min or more.  The reason why I looked it up was because I have noticed an increase in hiccups.  I am 35w 2d...so my baby is more mature than ever so maybe thats why it is happening more.  Thanks for your response!

Gina
I agree!  I don't like that book either.  It also is very unrealistic of what is expected of you as a mother.  I know that there are many mothers who watch what they eat, but come on!  That book is ridiculous!  It is informative for the new mother, though.  If you have more children, its funny to go back and read it when you are pregnant and see how your thoughts have changed!  (I have 3 kids) Baby hiccups are very common and the baby will also have them for a few weeks after he/she is born.  Good luck!
LOL I have that book and refer to it ONLY for ideas on what I MIGHT experience but I would NEVER reccomend it to anyone!! For it supposedly being the "bible for all mothers-to-be", I find it shortsighted and less than informative about what we as moms-to-be are aware of in this age of internet access. I have only to doa quick search online if I ever want to debunk anything I read in there, and I usually do. That's why this time around, I stick to books with a humorous outlook on pregnancy.

Roids, weight gain, varicose veins....these are allm uch more fun to read about if you can do so with a laugh rather than with worry! :)
My daughter constantly had hiccups. around 6 times a day and lasting for an hour more at times. I hated it lol. But she was born a healthy happy little girl. She is now 4 and suffers from bouts of hiccups lol. So don't worry it is normal.
OMG I know what you mean about that Dr. Spock! I wish they would quit publishing that ****!! LOL
i read that book when i was pg with my son.....of course i didn't read it cover to cover. the only thing i read in it was how big the baby probably was at each stage and how much recomended weight i should have gained compared to what i actually did gain :)!

i went to the book store the other day and do you know they still put out the doctor spock book.....that book was outdated 18 years ago when my sister was pg with my oldest nephew.
now that is a funny one to read.
~nanci
My first daughter had hiccups a lot, especially after 30 weeks, and it took me a LONG time to figure out what they were - I wondered how the baby could kick so gently and rhythmically, then it hit me that they were not kicks.  She had them a lot, probably a few times a day, mostly at night.  She was most active from 11pm - 1am, and NOTHINGS CHANGED.  Yes, I have a few sleep issues.  I would say not to worry about hiccups - I think they're kind of cool.  And I had What to Expect for my first pregnancy, but haven't looked at it for this one - I agree with everyone else, it is a little irrelevant.
Good Luck!
Thank you all for your comments on Hiccups.  Now that a few days have past, I feel a lot better with them even though they still continue.  I guess the movement reassures me that everything is ok.  Just can't wait until the big day finally arrives.  The bad back pain is in full effect.

Gina
08/07
My daughter had hiccups from about 7 months on all the time- she would even wake me up in the middle of the night with hiccups! My husband laughed because when she was born she had them a lot too and he said your right she does hiccup alot! I liked it - I knew she was there and doing okay when she was hiccuping...It seems like a lot of the girl babies had hiccups is your baby a girl or do you not know the sex????
My husband and I did not want to find out what the sex is.  I think it's a boy and he is so set on that fact that it is a girl.  After 6 Ultrasounds we still have not checked to see what the sex is.  We want it to be a surprise...gives me something to push harder for when the time comes..

Gina
edd 08/07- Not soon enough
We did the same thing I think it's great your going to wait! Not that many people wait now a days...I'm with you it makes it more exciting not knowing! I have to tell you this story real quick. I had to have an emergency c-section and when the doctor lifted my daughter up I'm looking at my husband asking if it is a boy or girl and it was like I don't know no one has said and pretty soon the nurse goes to take her off to clean her up and wiegh her and all that good stuff and we still didn't know what we had and I hear the one nurse say to the other she has such pretty skin coloring...... That's how we first found out she was a girl!!!! I think they just assume everyone already knows what they are having! Good luck and you will have to let us know what you have!!!!What do the majority of people guess that you are having????
More people are saying that I am having a girl.  Just a handful of people are saying that I am having a boy.  I just cant wait to know what it is and to see what it looks like.  I have drs apt today...I go every week now.  I also go for non-stress tests every week after my apt.  Its a reassuring to see/hear the heartbeat each week.  I am still nervous about something going wrong and I am in my 36th week.  I think this will be the longest month of my life.

Gina
What do the hicupps fell like though?  This is the firs time I am feeling them...... does it just feel like little rhythmic bumps in the same spot for awhile?
I heard when babies get the hiccups they are healthy. :)
Yes it it feels like rhythmic bumps in the same place, I'm 28 weeks preg and my little one has them at least once a day for about 15 minutes. how much weeks are you??
Thanks Ladies! Phew, I was really worried about my little one's hicupps being so regular...2-3 times a day..and searched the internet to see what's out there. (my dr doesn't explain enough) Yours was the most reassuring and informative forum. I'm 33 weeks.
When I was pregnant with my baby she had hiccups everyday and seemed like very oftern during the day. My ob said that was normal and not to worry. My daughter now 2 weeks old gets hiccups all the time. So just don't be surprised that when your baby is born she will be having hiccups a lot.
i'm at 31 weeks and both my boys get the hiccups all the time. last thursday during my nonstress test eli had hiccups during the whole thing. lol. it was funny to listen to.
I know you have rec'd tons of responses, but just wanted to let you know that my 1st and 2nd child gave me fetal hiccups all day long for the entire pregnancy and they are 2 normal and heathly kids. Most likely they will hiccup a lot when they enter the world. mine did for a short time. Don't worry.
i am 35 weeks pregnant with my first baby and am really worried that my little one(a girl) has hiccups atleast 8-10 times a day, i am realy worried could somebody please give me some usefull advice. Thankyou Aimee
I am 37weeks and 1st baby as well. I start to feel my baby hiccups since i was around 34 week and i spoke to my Doctor and she confermed its normal and not to worry. i also read on the internet a lot of people said that its a normal thing. i know its unconfertable but its absolutly normal. please do not stress your self out and try to relax. thats the best way to make your baby happy.
this is such a HUGE relief. i didn't even know that babies could get hiccups in utero. after feeling the constant repetitive movements i searched the internet and found these pretty worrying articles:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8240694
http://www.muscle.ca/fileadmin/National/Muscular_Dystrophy/Disorders/426E_Myotonic_Dystrophy_Steinerts_2007.pdf
i was in complete panic after reading this then i found this page and felt so much better to know that i have nothing to worry aobut.
thnx all!
I see a high risk pregnancy doctor, best in my region. He assured me that it is essential for a baby to have hiccups in utero, it strengthens their diaphrams for when they enter the world
I was worried about this to my baby gets them 6 or more times a day I am 35 weeks ans was worries it was a problem after reading this I feel better