Fifths Disease
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone has had a m/c due to being exposed to Fifths Disease. I am a teacher and was exposed to a student who had Fifths Disease. She is in my class and I held her hand throughout the week (she was a line leader). I have a d&c scheduled for tues, when i will ask them to check my blood to see if i am immune to the virus. If I am, I think there may be a possibilty I had a m/c due to the virus. There is no way of telling when I had the virus if it shows up that I am immune. It could have been the week I had m/c.
I had an u/s done the week before the child had a rash on her face and there was a hb. A week later, there was no h/b and my student came in the next day with a rash on her cheeks.
This is my second m/c in the past few months and the tissue will be tested, as well as blood work to determine if something is wrong. However, a family member who works in a school told me that in her district, when a child may have Fifths, all pregnant employees are immediately sent home. I was only 6 weeks at time I was exposed, which I have read can be dangerous and cause m/c's.
My son had fifths desiese and the Dr. told me to make sure he was not around any pregnant women because it can hurt the baby.  Not sure what it does to it, the Dr. didn't elaborate.  All he said was not to let him be around pregnant women and that he could have it for up to a month.
thanks for responding. i guess part of the problem is by the time a rash appears, the contagious period had passed.
On fifths desiese the Dr. told me as long as he has the rash he is still contagous.
I just posted about this too, sorry I just came on and posted without loooking at the posts. I am wondering about it also. And what my nieghbor said was that they are only contagous before the rash (we their joints hurt) but like my nieghbr they had no idea what was wrong when thier 4 year old said her legs hurt, they thought she was just too active that day or something and now she is soo upset that it may cause problems for my friend.
If you are immune to it from having the virus sometime during childhood you would not contract it and have a m/c from it.  And if you do m/c from the virus it is not likely that it will happen again from the same thing.  Very rarely fifth disease may lead to an unusual for of fetal anemia (swelling in the fetus), similar to in RH disease.  Doctors who suspect that you may have it during pregnancy will generally do ultrasounds to make sure that the baby is ok and does not have swelling.
From what I have read and heard is that it is rare that it causes a problem, but it's just that there is a chance.  I have a 19 month old son and I hope he doesn't get it... a long with all the other stuff that comes with children going to school!  i hate it when he's sick!
I really did not do any researching on this, but my son was questioned to have it a few weeks ago and my MD and my son's MD had no concerns about my wellebing and I was about 15 weeks pg at the time. But you guys seem to know more, maybe its good that he never ended up having it.
i have read that fifth is most dangerous to pregnant women in their first trimester and may cause miscarriages with the highest risk being for women in their fist 8 weeks.  I am going to have my doctor test the tissue and me when they do my d&c on tuesday. i held hands with the child who was infected and touched all her work, went through her desk, etc.. I actually hope my m/c was due to fifth. this is my 2nd m/c- i had one cycle since my first m/c, got pregnant, and now had another m/c.