Maternal & Child Community
Five week ultrasound - no fetus - is this normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi, this is my first time on this forum. I am 6 weeks pregnant and last week I had an ultrasound (vaginal). My doctor just wanted to make sure all was well since I had some minor brown spotting before I knew I was pregant (thought A/F was on the way). The tech was able to see a gest. sac but no fetus, she said it was too early. Now my dr. has seen my results and wants me to get another ultrasound done ASAP. What does this mean, is is normal not see a fetus at 5 weeks (it done at 5 weeks and 1 day). This is my first pregnancy and I'm worried. Thanks!
Yes, you are just early on, another week or more will yeild much better results on a vaginal u/s.

Congrats!!

Amanda
Thank you so much! You guys are awesome, I'm so glad I found this website!
I had an ultrasound done 03/14/06 and they saw the gest sac and yolk and measured to be about 5w6d and I am scheduled tomorrow for them to look for fetus so dont worry I believe you are just too early.
Yep!! Everything sounds normal. I had my 1st u/s at 5wks 2days and there was nothing but a sac with a little black hole in the middle. I go for another one tommorow at 7wks 2days and we should be able to see the little heart beat. Congratulations!!
We only saw a yolk sac when I was a littel over 5 weeks.  It's normal.  Do you have another U/S scheduled?
Thanks!! I have to go in tomorrow to see my doctor and get another requistion to book another ultrasound. I will probably get it done by the end of this week I hope. I'm nervous. Thanks for your answer.
It is possible that it is too early to see anything.  It is also possible that you may have ovulated later than you thought!!  The Dr.s will monitor you and make sure that things are going they way they should be.
Good luck!!
I alos think about 15 weeks is about the earliest you can determine the sex of the baby but if you just can't wait, go to pregnancy store dot com and you can buy a gender determination kit that can give your results as early as 5 weeks but it's pretty expensive.
Don't freak out, it could be worse.  Dr. couldn't find my baby until I was 9 weeks pregnant!  Entire family was scared to death, but turns out all is well.  Almost 27 weeks pregnant now!  I bet everything is ok, just a little early, keep us posted!
Sorry post a question on your post... I'm interested to know what the earliest week is that you can determine the sex?
Congratualtions!
Same thing happened to me with this baby. I went in at 5 weeks 4 days and saw no baby! Just a gas sac and a VERY tiny yolk sac (I didn't even see that DR did). I went back a week later and saw the baby with heart beat. Try not to worry sometimes there's just not much to see that early.
I don't want to worry you, but at 5wks, 6 days I saw a fetal pole, tiny little fetus and a heartbeat.
Hey there...I would say you're just fine. I was 4 weeks 5 days and they saw nothing on mine!! Not even a yolk sak or anything! But I went back at 7 w 3d and there was the heartbeat and I am now 15 weeks. Usually have to be 6 weeks or after to see anything.

cdoyle- It varies women to women as to when you can tell the "earliest" most Dr's do the u/s between 18-22 weeks. A lady I know just had one at 15 weeks and it was a girl, and confirmed later. So they can tell by 15 weeks and I've seen a bunch of u/s pics on the web where it has shown even boy parts at 15 weeks. I would say that's the earliest!
yeah i just asked ultrasound tech she said you could determine at arpond 14 weeks but doctors shouldent say the optimum time is 20 weeks she said i saw both mine around the 19th week with no problems good luck.
totally normal and nothing to worry about. most likely your doctor is just being extra cautious because of the spotting. it would be weirder if you did see a fetus at 5 weeks. sounds like all is ok. CONGRATS!! :)
With my first pregnancy I saw a heartbeat at about 5 weeks this pregnancy at 5 weeks all we saw was the sac but I'm 24 weeks now and everything is fine.  So I think everything is perfectly normal.  You'll feel better when you go to your next appointment and see how much it has grown.
i am 7w 6d and had brow discharge three-four weeks ago did a trans vaginal ultrasound and saw a sac and yolk sac then went back today and they said there was nothing and it was a blighted ovum could they be right or is ther a chance. i have wanted this so bad it hurts so much to have been told it is not going to happen like that one minute i am pregnant and the next they are saying i am gonna either miscarry or have to have a d&c i am so scared what to think please help i really need it. you can also e-mail me at ***@****
I'm so sorry for what you're going through. To find out our pregnancy is no longer viable is just so painful. I would say that within 2 weeks you should have seen more development with the baby and by 7 weeks a heartbeat should be visible via u/s. Was this most recent u/s done vaginally or abdominaly? If it was done vaginally then I would say that unfortunately it's accurate.

I suffered through a m/c too this past Nov. At 8 weeks I saw by baby's heart beat, I started spotting that night so the next day I had another u/s and my baby's heart stopped beating. I waited 2 weeks to let my body m/c naturally and it didn't happen to I had a d&c done at 10.5 weeks. It was so tragic for DH and I but we began TTC after 1st AF and we're now 8w5d. Wishing you lots of luck and baby dust for when you are ready to ttc again.
I went in for an u/s yesterday to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. According to a +opk and temps, I o'd between cd 14 and 18, which would make me 28dpo at the very least, and 32dpo at the very most- between 5w6d and 6w3d.

Ok, back to the u/s... The tech could only determine a ges sac and a yolk sac, but no fetal pole- he looked and looked. He could however find a heart rate of 105bpm upon a vaginalscan (there would HAVE to be a fetal pole in this case, right...).
He went on to tell me that I couldn't be more than 4.5-5 weeks pregnant because the fetus was too small to be seen, while at the same time he said the heart rate was low. Huh?
I have yet to discuss the results with my doc, as our appt isn't until next Tuesday.
Can anyone make sense of this, or had a similar, hopefully positive experience?

Thanks!
I went in for an ultrasound today, I am 6 weeks and 4 days.  I was hoping to see the heartbeat, but that did not happen.  We did get to see the sac and the baby, which I would of never known was a baby until he pointed it out.  It's SO tiny!  I asked why we could not see the heart beat, he said that he only sees it in 40% of his patients at the stage I am at.  So I guess that made me feel a little bit better.  But now I have to wait 2 more weeks for my next ultrasound.  I'll be almost 9 weeks by then (1 day shy).  The waiting is enough to drive you insane.  Thank God I work, or I would worry myself to death sitting at home day after day.
Hi! This is my first time on this forum.  Today I had my first ultrasound, it was abdominal.  The doctor had thought I was 8 weeks along (just calculating from my last cycle) but according to the yolk sac I am 5w6d along.  On my u/s they couldn't find a heartbeat or the baby either.  So I have been crying since I left the doctor.  The doctor scheduled a repeat for 4/10, he also measured my HcG levels now and will repeat on the 10th.  He said their is a 90% chance everything is fine, that at this time a lot of times you can't see the baby or hear a heartbeat at this date.  But of course I am going crazy.  He said their is a chance of a "psuedo sac" in the uterus and an etopic pregnancy when you can't see the baby but I have no signs of a tubal pregnancy.  Does anyone know at what date you would have signs/sypmtoms of a tubal?  Should I be worried?
It's my first time to this site, I'm really worried because I had ny u/s at 6 week and the Dr. found only a sac and he said this as not normal so I am very worried! I have had some backaches and some cramping but no spotting at all. Do you think I still can have a full term pregnancy? Please respond to here or if you can please send any info. to my email - ***@****
Thank you all
Same thing is going on with me. I took two pregnancy test on 3/22 and they were all negative. I took a following pregnancy test on 3/28 and it was also negative or so I thought. I took the final two pregnancy tests on 4/3 and they both came out postive which made me look at the one I took on 3/28 and then I saw that it wasn't negative it was VERY faintly positive. So I went in to the doctor on 4/3 and they confirmed I was pregnant she took a vaginal ultrasound and said there was nothing in there as of right now but the lining was very thick I am not sure if that is good or bad ? Then she said they were going to check my HCG levels once and then again in 48 hours. To make sure it is not etopic pregnancy. I started reading online about it, I have no usual signs that normally occur with an etopic pregnancy. So I am pretty sure I am worrying for nothing. I can't be more than a week prego. Especially when Tests a little over a week ago were negative. Please give me thoughts on this situation. It is my first time on any of these forums and just wanted to see if any of you could shed some light on the situation at hand.

Mary
I just had my first U/S  we are unsure how many weeks i really am.. but the dr did not see anything in my uterus and she said its probably just too early.. we have been trying for 3 yrs.. so as you can imagine.. we are very scared.. is this normal.. or should i have seen something regardless of how many weeks?
I am in the same situation. I did a pregnancy test thinking i might be only just pregnant. It was positive. The doctor scheduled an ultrasound as I was unsure of my dates but guessing just over 4 weeks. At the ultrasound i was suprised and dissapointed to find that I had a gestational sac that measured 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant. It did not have a yolk sac or a gestational pole. The doctor told me i will probably miscarry as this looks like a blighted ovum. That we should see something more by now. I have had no HCG tests as he thinks it is pointless as your levels still rise even if it is a blighted ovum. I go back next week ( 2 weeks since last ultrasound) to see if anything has changed. This is if I haven't started bleeding by then. My pregnancy symptoms have however been getting worse! I have no idea what is going on and the last week has dragged so slowely and i still have a week to wait. I am so impatient. I can't get it out of my head. Everytime I go to bathroom I am inspecting for blood. Any suggestions or advise?
Hi everyone. This is about my daughter's pregancy. The ultrasounds have showed at one point she is 5w 1 day then the next one was 6w 4 days. The yolk sac has grown from one u/s to the next ( I've been present for both of these of course). Here's my point. On her last visit and u/s they called in the docotr and he told her she was going to probably miscarry if not a d/c or meds to abort because her hcg levels weren't high.Her level started out to be over 600 the same day she was told this they did another blood test. This one was over 3,000. On the u/z we had a yolk sac. Nofetal pole no heartbeat. I asked the doctor if maybe it was too soon? He said no. They did decide to go ahead and do another u/s next week instead of waiting 2 weeks. They are driving us nuts. I did tell my daughter if they decide nothing is there to get a second opinion before aborting the baby.Was I wrong in telling her this?
Very worried mom.
hi all i had a scan when i thorght i was 7 weeks preg it turnes out that i was only 5 weeks and all they saw was a sac and a fetal pole no heartbeat 5 weeks is way to early to detect one it is a mirical i fell preg on my own as i have fertility problems it goes to show miricals do happen  i have a scan tommorrow and i will be 9w 4d i am so scared for some reason i think it is because when i had my first dd i had every symptom anyone could have and with this one i have none anyway good luck to you all
love baby whisper
I'm new to this site and very concerned.  I am pregnant again after miscarrying in Jan 06.  I had a little pink/brown creamish spotting last week so they did and early ultrasound (vaginal). My dates are fairly accurate: 6wks to the day at the ultrasound.  Dr. only found a sac with a yolk sac, no fetal pole or heartbeat, only a small amount of what she called fetal tissue.  my HcG readings were 19,000 that day (quant) which Dr. said was good, and should have been high enough to see fetus, heartbeat etc.  I go for more blood today and another ultrasound in 1wk1day.  Hopefully someone can share some encouraging news???
I'm 6wks and I went to the doctor and they did not see anything in my sac either.  I'm worried but rom reading the different answers I feel somewhat sure that my baby is there. But I hope everything is ok with you and me. I have being reading and sme are saying the same thing about it being to early.

Just thought i should fill you in on my happy ending. FINALLY went back for my ultrasound saw a perfect little baby with a strong heart beat dated 6 weeks and 1 day. According to the first scan, the possible blighted ovum scan i should have been 8 weeks and three days. What has happened is where the baby has implanted it has hit a vessel and I have had a bleed in my uterus. At the first scan they measured the pool of blood (which has not come out) and told me it was a gestational sac dated 6 weeks and 3 days. They told me to basically wait until i miscarry. If it doesn't happen within 2 weeks come back for another scan. So I went back and found out my perfect bean is in there and very happy and basically they stuffed up the first time. Lucky I didn't have a DandC. That's what they recommended or wait for the second scan and still nothing there then have a DandC.

I am still only 6 weeks and anything could happen. Hopefully we will make it through the next 6 without any hiccups.

Good luck everyone.
Hi there !! I am new, can someone help?!...I am 6 weeks TODAY !!! (although it could be that I ovulated later then I think).
For over a week I am spotting on and off, it was really mild but 2 days ago it was a bit more (the first time I saw it in my underwear).
Yesterday, again, this brown irritating discharge.
I went to the doc and he did an U/S, he was pasimistic and did not see a fetal pole or heartbeat ofcourse.
ANYONE??? HAS ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THIS??

THANKS, WAITING 4 YOUR REPLIES.
I went to the dr. today for an ultrasound at 6 weeks.  The dr. saw a sac and the start of the fetal pull but nothing else - no fetus.   I have had 2 previous miscarraiges so I am definately nervous.   She said my levels are high (HCG 19,000)and she's not very concerned - she'll see me back in a week.  I hate that I have to worry for a week.  Does anyone have any enccouraging news about my situation?  Thanks!
Hello All!

I did a pregnancy test bought in the pharmacy and I tested positive on 2/24/06. My last menstrual period was 2/26 so according to that my baby was conceived on 3/12. Well...I went to the doctors and they sent me for lab work and an ultrasound on 4/4 to determine the dates. Nothing showed in U/S so the doctor sent me to do blood work last Tuesday 4/11 and Thursday 4/13 and scheduled another Ultrasound Friday 4/14. Before sending me to the hospital to do the U/S the Doctor asked me if I had a tubal pregnancy in the past, I said no (I had one daughter 14 years ago never have been pregnant since then) When I went to do the U/S, they did the transvaginal, and the tech said that he could see the gestational sac and nothing else. He also said that I was 5 weeks 2 days pregnant, so my dates are off. I went back to the doctor and he wants to check my HCG levels on Monday 4/17 and Tuesday 4/18 do another U/S on Wednesday 4/19 and see me on Thursday 4/20. I hope that something else is showing this time, but the waiting is really killing me. I am a little confused about the dates don't match, is the tech is right then I conceived three weeks ago not on the day that I thought. I have not cramps, not bleeding, not pain, not morning sickness nothing at all, with my daughter I was so sick and with this new pregnancy I just eat that's all. Anybody has experienced this/???? and....do you think that I should tell the doctor to wait like two more weeks instead of doing another u/s so soon? Thanks for anybody that reads this and replys : D
Sorry : ( in the first sentence I meant to say my positive pregnancy test was on 3/24
I'm very nervous...if anyone has any encouraging words, please let me hear them. I went for an ultrasound last week and they could not see a heartbeat. The ultrasound tech told me that the baby is less than 4milimeters long and she can't usually see the heartbeat until it is over 4mm. I have another ultrasound this week and i'm very scared. I'm 21 years old and this is my first baby. I think I'm just 5 weeks pregnant. I just want everything to be ok and I keep praying that i will see a little heartbeat this week when i go. Can anybody help me????
Hello and thanks so much for your kind words!!! The nurse got back to me about my HCG levels and she said that they didn't increased the way they wanted. They want to do an Ultrasound Wednesday and a doctor's follow up appointment on Thursday.

I wanted to wait till 4/26 because then I will have 7th weeks and is more certain that they could see or hear something. The doctor wants to do it Wednesday I might just schedule my appointment anyway, I rather wait another week and have a definite answer on what's going on. I have not pain, not bleeding so I think I rather wait another week.
Thanks and I will keep you posted.

Aileen
Hi, According to my last period, I'm 5.5 weeks pregnant.  I went to my regular doctor. He confirmed I'm pregnant and referred me to an OB.  I go to the OB on 5/8/06 for my first visit and US.  The only real symptoms I have been having are tender/swollen breasts.  I've also been having mild cramping in my lower abdomen.  The cramp never lasts more than five seconds and is maybe like three times a day.  I want everything to go perfectly with this baby.  Is the cramping normal?  Thanks.
Hi everyone
just new and found reading your comments both reassuring and also sad - had an vaginal U/S yesterday 10 May 06 - sac found and measured 5 wks 2days - no hearbeat or yolk sac is this normal - had a blighted ovum in June 03 and again in November 05 - really worried that its happening again - going back for another U/S next tuesday 16 May - should i be able to see anything?
Hi, this is my first time on this forum. I am 5 weeks pregnant and Today I had an ultrasound (vaginal). My doctor just wanted to make sure all was well since I had some minor brown spotting . The tech was able to see a sac but no fetus, she said it was too early. Now my dr. has seen my results and wants me to get another ultrasound done next week. What does this mean, is is normal not see a fetus at 5 weeks .
Thanks!
i myself am feeling a little worried.... you see, i'm 7 weeks pregnant and i went for my first ultrasound today and they didn't see the baby.  hearing that automatically made me start to worry. ok so you guys say that it's normal to not see the baby that early on, but what about when your 7 weeks??? help!!
I went for an ultra sound last week because I had previously had an abnormal pap. I went on June 10. My last period was April 17. The lady asked me if I was pregnant and I told her I did not know because I have been to scared to get an at home pregnancy test. When it was over I said Am I Pregant? She told me she couldnt tell me anything, I had to wait to see my doctor three days later. I went to my doctor and she told me they saw a dot on the ultra sound and I could be pregnant. The took my blood and I have to go back in a couple days. Could I really be pregnant or is it probably something else. I am 18 and really need all the help from you possible. Thanks
I went to dr last week and he said he couldn't find a sac / sent me to perinatal center who ruled out ectopic pregnancy. My HCG level was 1000 that day.  Went friday for more bloodwork HCG level over 2000 - went back to perinatal center today (1 wk later) for another ultrasound - they found a sac and the yolk (had to search a while before the yolk was clear) the sac measured me to be 5wks 6days. The dr said he wouldn't tell me if this was a "good pregnancy or bad pregnancy" because he wasn't seeing the heartbeat.  This was a vaginal ultrasound - should I be concered that they have not seen a heartbeat or is it too early?
I had a Vag U/S Thursday the sac measured 5 weeks 1 day the yolk sac measured 5 weeks 5 days. THey think they saw a fetal pole, but not a heart beat. I had a large pool of blood around the sac. I have had 2 miscarriages and pray that I will keep this one. Does anyone know anything about having a blood pool around the sac? I pray for you all. It is so hard!
I just had my u/s yesterday b/c I've had some cramping and spotting.  I thought I should be about 6.5 wks and all they could see on a vag. scan was a sac & a pool of blood next to it.  The u/s tech said that appears in about 35% of pregnancies and is probably an "implantation bleed."  She explained that the uterus is so vascular that sometimes when the egg implants, it causes the sensitive tissue to bleed.  I, too, will be going back next week to see if a fetus and heartbeat can be detected.  I'm wondering why my doctor didn't do any bloodwork yesterday, though, so they could monitor HcG levels.  My husband and I are very worried.  We have a little girl whose b-day is next week, and are hoping this pregnancy is viable.
a
hi there this is my first time on the forum.. i had a missed miscarriage 6 wks ago with d&c.  i started my period 5 days later and now i am five weeks and 4 days pregnant{fetus age 3 wks and 4 days}. today i had an vaginal u/s and they saw nothing but the sack.. they also found that i have a large cyst on my left ovary.which has ruptured.. i just wanted to know if anyone else didnt see their baby this early and everything turned out okay and if they are pregnant with ovarian cyst? please let me know, scared to death ... thanks
Did an varginal ultrasound today  4 weeks and 6days pregnant. doctor did not see anything is it normal??told me to come in one weeks time and see.If its not there told me to do a hcg test. I m so worried I saw my 1st baby 's sac from abdorminal U/s in 5weeks and 3days but this I couldnt see yet ... can anyone say wheather Im too early to see it from v/ ultrasound???
I am 6 weeks preg as of today (or so I think) and I have had brown spotting every day since 2 days before AF was due.  I went for an ultrasound at what I think was 5weeks5days and saw a gest. sac and yolk sac...that's it...no fetus.  I know the feeling of worry, I've had a miscarriage as well as two beautiful daughters, but when you don't see a fetus or heartbeat to tell you that everything looks all right, you can't help the worry in the back of your head.  You want it all to be good, but just don't know.  I'm not sure what's going on inside of me, but I'm hoping all is well and will go back for another u/s in two weeks.  Just remember that miscarriages are usually the body's way of telling us there was something wrong with the pregnancy and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it.  Also remember, that not seeing a fetus early on doesn't mean there is anything wrong.  Time is our best and worst enemy, but remember, time will always tell.  Try and be patient, calm and positive and hopefully everything will be healthy and good.  I wish everyone good luck and a healthy baby, especially those who have been trying for a long time for their first.
Well let me say firstly, this is soooo hard.  My LMP was 31 12 2007.  I had copper coil removed 18 jan and to my surpise on 30 jan had +ive HPT.  his very slight spotting over the weekend and nothing since.  can i just say by spotting it looked like the marked on the plaster when u had BT. so not much at all.  i have had 2 previous pregnancys which have been fine.  any docs sent me for us.  there is a sac but no feotal cord, or yolk sac. its empty.  even tho i have 2 other children i now feel empty.  the have told me to come back in 10 days.  i have now been waiting a day and i am so messed up.  the also told me that i have a cyst on my r ovary but they did say that when u first fall pregnant all women get a cyst which plays the part of the placenta until the placenta is big and strong enough to take over and then the cyst just dissappears.  so is this a a good sign.  i also had my HCG level taken and rang yesterday afternoon and was told 20006 which is excellent apparently. what is going on where is my bubba. as i had the coild removed on 18 jan they have worked my dates from that. leaving me only 4 weeks + i think they said.  please any advice would be appreciated. XXXXX
Hello all...I see I have similar concerns...calculating from my last period I should b about 6 weeks...however, I had an u/s done today and nothing showed...the doctors say that I could actually be a few weeks too early and that's why they weren't able to see anything...nothing appeared to show in my uterus and when they checked around my ovaries and fallopian tubes nothing showed...I was really upset..and I'm putting everything in Gods hands while I step aside...yes, I was worried but I know I serve and trust a God who is much greater than this situation...prayerfully, things are too early...please anyone reading say a prayer for me and im goin to keep u lifted in prayer as well...God is Faithful..
I had my last period the middle of june, i took a Pregnancy test on July 20 and came back Postive, well yesterday i started bleeding, no cramps " august 29", i went to the ER, they did huc levels and they came back 17,771 also did an ultrasound and saw just a sac, the doctor said it was a failed Pregnancy, that the baby never form! but i wonder, maybe i am only 6 weeks pregnant and that's why there was only a sac to see. I did have a miscarrge before and i also have a daughter, so I am scared, the doctor said to go home and see if i miscarry on my own, i have an appointment in 3 days to do another ultrasound and then to decide if they should do a d & C. I am still spotting blood. but last time i had a miscarrage (miscarriage), i had bad cramps and spotting and within 24 hours lost the baby, so i have to wonder maybe this will be ok. or maybe i just don't want to let go of the fact that i lost my baby.  Please did this ever happen to anyone, and was there baby ok. I pray that i am only 6 weeks pregnant and that there's only the sac there, and maybe that the bleeding is nothing, i have heard another people spotting and having a heathly baby. Please any help would be Great.  Thanks
I have a similar situation...
I found out that I was pregnant on saturday 6/9 and went to hospital after going to the doctors cos i had pain. They did a blood test (hormone levels) and told me to come back today 9/9 to check my hormone levelsagain and do an ultrasound. well today they told me that my hormone levels had only gone up slightly which is not a good sign, and then they did a vaginal ultrasound and saw NOTHING... :-( I am very very upset. they said that i could have an ectopic pregnancy or misscariage. i have had light brown spotting but no pain anymore... I have lost all hope and I am very upset. has anyone heard of the baby surviving and maybe I am too early to see anything?? Somebody please help, even if this has happened and have lost it, i would like to hear any feedback
I am just like you.  I didn't even know I was pregnant until a few days ago because I got what I thought was a normal period (9/20).  But afterward my breasts were still sore, and I was tired and cried at the drop of a hat, and just didn't feel right.   Then last week I started spotting again, just a week after my "period".  So I took a pregnancy test and it was positive!!  I should be six weeks along tomorrow, but I was suddenly very scared because of all the bleeding, so today I went to the doctor and had an vaginal ultrasound  -- they couldn't see anything -- no sac, no fetus, no heartbeat. Nothing in my uterus and nothing in my fallopian tubes that would indicate an ectopic pregnancy.

It would seem I am having a miscarriage, though the doctor said its possible conception occurred later than we think and it's too soon, or that the ectopic just can't be seen.  They are measuring my blood HcG today and in two days to see if it is doubling (normal pregnancy) rising slightly (ectopic) or decreasing (miscarriage).  I am really sad, since the signals my body is giving me seem to indicate a miscarriage.  I feel less pregnant - my breasts are less sore, I'm less moody, and my abdomen is feeling very crampy.  I hope that it really is too early, and if this has happened to anyone I would appreciate your insight - but I am nervous that it is bad news.  

What happened to you?? Are you pregnant?
hi my name is shakari i had my ultrasound yesterday and i'm 5weeks and the doctor told me it was to early and she didnt see any thing there i'm really scared i hope the baby is fine what is happen right now
Hi I'm Michelle, I've worked out frm the day of my last period that i,m 5wks 5days pregnant, first pregnancy! Been for an early Uss today as had brown spotting and past ovarian tumour. They saw nothing on the scan in my uterus and now I'm worried! Had my hormone levels checked today and they are raised got to wait til thursdat for second test to see if thy have doubled. They think i might be having an ectopic pregnancy! I feel really deflated. Is anyone going through similar thing? Does anyone think it could just not be showing yet?
The same thing happened to me. I think I am 5 weeks along...but am not exactly sure. I had missed my period last month and thought I was pregnant, but many test showed that I was not. I finally retested 2 weeks ago and got a positive result. I then had a blood test to confirm everything. My Dr. wanted me to do an early ultrasound to confirm my due date; however, she only found the ges. sac and the yolk sac...but not fetas. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next week. It is tough waiting!
i just want to say you are just nice ladies very loving. thanks for your info. im new here. i had u/s at 5w 2 days and didnt see but the sac and it scared me but now im reading comments im relieved. thx girls.
I am vina. I had spotting last saturday (03/01/09) and  I had my ultrasound yesterday (03/02/09). The doctor found a gestational sac, but no embryonic or fetal pole. She also said that the gest. sac is elliptical in shape, not a normal circular shape. Is this normal? The sac measured 5 weeks and 1 day. They told me to come back for another ultrasound schedule after 2 weeks. That would be on March 16.
I am really worried. THis would be my first pregnancy.
Please give some insights abou this.
Thanks.

P.S. I hope that after 2 weeks  there would be a sign of progress.
i am 8weeks preg and had done an u/s last day. the doctor didnt find any h/b or fetus inside. my last period was on jan 06, im so worried. this is my first pregnancy. i longed to have a baby but the result got me depressed. the doctor advised me to have a second u/s after 2nd week. please help me pray to have a normal pregnancy. so worried...please help.
i am 5 weeks preg and had done an u/s (vaginal)  last day. the doctor didnt find anything inside. my last period was on Feb 01, im so worried. i had 2 miscarriage before. i had a daughter about 14 months now.    i longed to have a baby but the result got me depressed. the doctor advised me to have a second u/s next week. some already can see a sac by now. thinking of miscarriage again make me nausea. is this normal? someone please!
i am about 4/5 weeks pregnant and on friday i went to get an u/s and they saw a sac but no yolk or anything. they are mentioning ectopic pregnancy but saying it could also just be too early. i am very worried. can someone help ?
hi all!!! i am sailing in the same boat as most of you. really worried. i had my LMP on march 14th. no spotting since then slight cramps of and on. Had an u/s done on 23rd may and the doc says it seems to be around 6weeks sac but cld nt see anything else. had my hcg levels checked 23rd may and came at 24830. the doc say.s it should double by today. Have done my BT awaiting the reports. can anyone tell me if I would be having a normal pregnancy. its my first and i feel I have waited all my life to hold my sweet little baby in my arms. plz help!!!!!!!!
I'm extremely worried! I found out I was pregnant on 07/30 through a home test. My 1st HGCs were measured on 07/31 at 1103.3 and 4 days later on 08/04 at 4139.9! The nurse said that was GREAT! :) Basically I'm doubling every 50 hours, which is within the normal 48-72 hour range!
My 1st U/S is tomorrow afternoon (as well as my 3rd HCG blood test)... I'm freaking out a little!
In 2001, I miscarried @ 4 weeks... in 02/2009 I miscarried again... on 05/05/2009 I had laparoscopy surgery due to a twin unilateral ectopic pregnancy (twins implanted on my right tube & right ovary).
I feel very pregnant... nausea, vomiting, sore breasts, constipation & gas, moody, etc.... I'm just soooo worried that I'm getting excited for nothing!
UPDATE: Had my 1st ultrasound today! They are able to see a cyst, which is currently believed to be the Corpus luteum cyst! YAY! :) That being said, they did NOT find anything else... yet. I am only 5 weeks pregnant, at most, so even the ultrasound technician was confused as to why they would have me in so quickly.
The doctor (and his student doctor) did a physical examination, to rule out any physical abnormalities in my uterus, and cervix. He said that everything appears normal for this stage of pregnancy, but due to my miscarriages & previous twin ectopic pregnancy, they want to be extra cautious... which I can appreciate.
I've been put off work for 1 week... with another ultrasound 6-7 days from today!
*fingers crossed*
UPDATE #2:

Went back to the ER Friday @ 5am, after several hours of continuous cramping and sharp pains to my lower abdomen... turns out the "cyst" was in fact an ectopic pregnancy & my right tube had ruptured...
I had a salpingectomy to remove my right tube...
I now have to sit home for 3-6 weeks to recover...
My partner & I have decided to use Depo Provera for the next year or so, to allow my body to heal completely,  before we attempt at another pregnancy.
Wish us luck!
Accordin to my LMP I should be about 8 weeks pregnant. But according to the size on my sono Im about 5 weeks and 2 days. I had a transvaginal sono monday night cuz of severe crampin and lower back pain that I had for a month. I found out I was pregnant this past friday. The tech was able to see a sac but no yolk or fetus inside, not even a flutter of a beat. My HCG is over 3400. I need to know if maybe my pregnancy may be earlier than estimated. Any one have a clue??
I am in the same situation.  Went for an u/s on Friday 8/28 and thought I was seven weeks.  The u/s showed a yolk sac but no baby or heartbeat.  The tech said the sac was measuring 5 1/2 weeks.  I don't know how I miscalculated.  Dr. said the sac looked good and that I had a nice thick lining.  I have had two miscarriages this last year, so naturally I am a nervous wreck!  I have to go back in two weeks 9/11.  I pray that I get to see that little flicker of movement!!
wel i had my last p 9/18/09 i was blein so i went to the er in had in u/s did 2 day in they said it was to early .my qunat levels was 33.But i cal another dr in they said i was 8 weeks what hell is going on.iam goin to wat unstl 10/27 to see whats what.cause on the u/s they did not see nuthing @all
Hi..I am 7 weeks pregnant, based from my calculation.I had to PT kit and both positive.Plus I am regular and now missed my period almost two weeks now. I consulted a doctor 2 days ago and hav a normal ultrasound. I told her that sometimes a feel a pain I think in my uterus for a while, the same pain I feel before I have a menstruation. After the U/S dr. said she cant see anything and Ask me to do a lab test and vaginal U/S. Im quite scared as I had miscarriage 2 years ago.Now I have brown spots.Please Advice me...I dont want to lose this baby..
Im a seventeen almost eighteen year old female... who might be pregnant with my first child.. my mate and i have been planning this for awhile now and we ttc last month so last month wen my period didnt show up we were so happy b/c my period is regular u cud set a clock by it... so we waited and waited and no blood showed up but then i got sick throwing up and having diareaha and everything ( i think it was a 24 hr flu) and the following day i went to the bathroom and their was blood in my panties... i was scared b/c i thought i was miscarrying but a visit to the doctors proved i wasnt having a miscarriage but according to my hcg levels i wasnt pregnant either... they said it was less than one so im confused b/c i feel pregnant and like i know deep in my heart im preggo cus my prd is nevr late.. so y wud it b late the month we try getting preggo?? other than the three days i bled this bright red blood  this month my last period was on November 18 2009 which wud make me six weeks preggo now.... idk wht to do... do i try testing again to see if anything changed? i need help plz someone comfort me and tell me some good news... can something b wrong with me?? or cud i jus have low hcg levels?? im soooo confused
I am a seventeen year old girl, I am approximatly 10 weeks pregnant. I had schedualed an ultrasound to see my baby. When I went The doctors had a very hard time in locating the baby. At first they did not believe I was pregnant, They gave me a pregnancy test wich proved positive. The next step was a concern that it was eptopic(The baby being in your tube) They ran another set of ultrasound pictures at a differant hospital and did not find any problems. I later talked to another doctor who told me that The baby had not developed properly , Therefore the sac is still in place but The baby was not present. It is unfortunate to find out this specific information but it is a 20% chance in each woman that the baby does not develope properly or other problems. The doctor usually will discuss to you that u can either wait for the miscarrage (miscarriage) or take a pill call masaprasotal (sorry about the spelling).. which allows the miscarrage (miscarriage) to happen sooner by sofening the uterus. You may also go to get a DNC. I hope thisinformation was helpful and remember that it is not always this way, sometimes woman miscalculate the last day of the menstrual cycle .... Dont loose hope.
Hi to all ,
this site really helped me and i must say i'm feeling a little better.... i started bledding on Monday then it stopped the same day ...the next day it was a brown spot and the next day the same brown spot occured ....by thursday it cleared up ...when i went to do an transvaginal u/s they said that i was 5 weeks and all they can see is the gestational sac and the yolk... my doc said that this is normal and that is to early to determine anything ...repeat u/s in 2-3 weeks ... i am so nervous of what might be the outcome .......and the waiting is driving me insane ....i hope all goes well ...
hi my name is Jackie and im 5 weeks...
i went in for my first ultrasound today and saw nothing but a sac..
doc says its a perfect size sac but im scared to death cause we saw no fetus... he says it might be too early so i have another appointment next week... this is my second pregnancy i had a m/c my first pregnancy at 12 weeks... im crossing my fingers to see something next week... pray for me :)
Yes this is Totally NORMAL i had the same thing at 5 week and now i am 25 week +2 and my baby is healthy and jumping around as i type
Hi Im 6 weeks preg went and had my first ultraqsound on sat which I was 5 weeks 4 days they saw 2 sacs no fetus. I am worried I go back tues 9/14 and Im scared does this mean two babies. Is it to early
My wife swears by her cycles.  We have been together for 10 yrs.  Every single time she says she is to start her period, she is usually starts at least 3 to 4 days later and she bases it upon 28 day cycle.  She swears her LMP was on July 13, 2010 and of course when I made the comment to the Doctor about her being latter than normal my wife pretty much dismissed me and as well the doctor did too.  So much for input, I guess..  

The only two times we actually had intercourse after her menstrual cycle was on 27th of July, 2010, she took a pregnancy test on July 30th but it came back negative. We again had intercourse on Aug, 4 2010. According to her, and her 28 day cycle.. her period would have started on Aug 9. 2010 which it didn't.  Aug 13th she tested positive for being pregnant. She basically couldn't even cap the test before it read PREGNANT.. We were of course overjoyed.

We went in for a U/S ultrasound on Sept 7th. 2010 and Doctor said she saw a gestational sac but nothing else forming and called it a chemical pregnancy.  They did take blood and the next day she got her results and they were 81,130. The doctor immediately talked about a D/C though. Not even scheduling another blood workup.  We requested another blood workup which was about 48 hours later but the numbers were only a couple thousand higher than before. They didn't double at this time but did rise. She again pushed for a D/C.

They say she is six weeks along at the time the test were done and they should be seeing something by this time, of course it seems to be all based on her LMP.  I'm of course the skeptical one and never always believe everything a doctor says because they're human and make mistakes.

My question is, if we conceived sometime between the 27th of July 2010 and say August 6th because that's the only time we were together,  wouldn't this throw off the U/S on Sept 7th and only show the gestational sac at this time because it would only be like 4.5 weeks along fetal development?

We have another U/S 9-14-2010, my wife has pretty much given up and is down in the dumps, it's our first try but if conception occurred later in ovulation isn't there a good possibility it was just too early to see anything on the U/S or am I just holding onto false hope?

She isn't showing signs of miscarriage, no cramping, no spotting or bleeding... The only thing she is, is more tired than I have ever seen her and morning sickness without vomiting is daily. sore breasts and well a bit moody but I would be a fool to not understand why she would be.. :-)

I'm stressed because the Doc keeps pushing a D/C and it just seems with conception happening only in the time frame mentioned above, the Doc hasn't said to us there could be a possibility that there is slow fetal development or LMP was wrong throwing off dating.. we never got the measurement of the gestational sac.. we were sort of herded in an out as quickly as possible.. Leaving so many questions unanswered and making us crazy..

Any thought's to if she isn't showing signs of a miscarriage why would the doctor push so much for a D/C if it could be this early in the stages of pregnancy? Of course I'm hopeful that when we go back in, in two days we see something forming.. but of course prepared not to as well.  I have read others who didn't see fetal development until much later on too.. How long should one wait to see if a baby will form and when is a time to call it quits?

Thanks for letting me vent... any answers or thoughts would greatly be a help in understanding this a bit better for a first time dad to be..
I conceived after sex on 23rd August (call it a bad year, but this is the only time this year I have slept with anyone so I know for definite!)...  We used no protection, and it was bang on the right date for conceiving (as I realised later).  Anyway, I had negative tests right up to my 'period'.  My period was late (never happens), I had no pre menstrual cramping (usually have a band of ache around my back the day before), it was lighter than normal, lasted 2-3 days instead of the normal 4-5 and was varying colours.  I basically, with the negative tests, assumed I hadn't conceived.

However, since then I have been sleeping a lot, talking 8-12 hours a night plus naps mid afternoon where possible.  I had tender breasts over this weekend.  And I am freezing cold (I've read some women get very cold, others very hot).  And Thursday of last week I almost passed out on my way home from work so I decided to do a test Friday morning, and it was positive, did a second and that was positive so went straight to the doctors.  She told me that I must have miscarried on the 12th and my hormones weren't back to normal.  She booked me in for a scan this morning.

Over the weekend I took two Clear Blue Digital tests that said I was 2-3 weeks (which when looking at sex, ovulation, time it takes to implant it is right)...

However, when I got the scan this morning, they couldn't find anything.  But I have since read that 2-3 weeks is too early???  Is that right?

Anyway, they took some blood and rushed the results and they called me earlier to say I have high HCG levels and to come back Wednesday morning.  BUT they are treating it as a failed or failing pregnancy because I bled and they can't see anything.

Is there any hope at all or should I start dealing with the fact that I have lost a baby?
ok i had a period sept.4th & ended on the 9th and slept with the other guy on the 10th of sept. and my husband on the 17th of sept so i went to the doctor on oct.11,2010 and they did a u/s and all they saw was a sac no fetus so can it be to early and be my husbands or they others.please help me
hi ,,can someone please help me ?? i'm 5 weeks 2 days pregnant..i have light pink spoting when i wipe on the tissue i went to the drs and they did an u/s on me twice ((VAgINAl)) the dr scared me to death because they couldnt find an embryo pleaase someone give me some advice what do do what to think? i have 3 kids never ever did anything come ou of my private part other than the white stuff that comes out ..
hi sandy, 5wks2days is a bit too early to guarantee we can see anything on u/s. how are u doing now? any follow up u/s?

i just had my u/s thinking i was 8wks 2 days based on my last period being dec 12, 2010. my periods are usually quite irregular.. every month to few months apart. i had 2 positive urine pregnancy tests. the u/s report done at 8wks 2 days says "?wrong dates vs missed abortion". my breasts still hurt. i suspected the report would say something like that. i'm a doctor myself. i think i'm just going to wait til my body lets me know what's going on (either some cramping or bleeding if i it really was a missed abortion), or i will go and get a repeat ultrasound 3wks from now.. whichever comes first.

anyone else out there with irregular periods?
i m 4 weeks pregnant and wanting for an abortion. I underwent an ultrasound but the doctor just found a small dot and said it could b ectopic and has asked me to come a week later.I just want to know wud ther b any changes and will it b able to aborted
OMG this made me feel so much better i have been an emotional wreck bc i had ultrasound done on 8-23 to determine how far i was bc i had just missed my period i wasn't far enough along they could barely see anything well i went on 7-13 and we saw the sac but had to do an internal ultrasound and were about to see something in there but not sure they said that i was about 5 weeks but they told me some other things that got me all worked up i go the 21st for a better ultrasound and im really hoping i see something other then what i saw on the 23 & 15th i know this post is from 2006 but i wanted to say it made me feel a little better.
I found out I'm pregnant this past Friday. Went to the e.r cause I was bleeding heavy and had clots. The Dr did an ultrasound and didn't find anything . She said it may b too early. But my hcg was 19000, she said I could b pregnant with twins cause my hcg is too high for one baby and I may only b 3-6 weeks pregnant. I'm scared......this is my first pregnancy
hi i need help my lmp was on 12th till now i have not got my periods tried hpt came faint positive went to dr for ultrasound was told no gestational sac seen can any one advise what are my chances of conceiving. i havent checked by hcg but with 2 faint reports and no symptoms i am a bit confused and tensed.
I went to er today because of spotting after taking two pregnancy test that came out positive, my beta hcg is 677 however the could not see anything in  ultrasound, whats going on and they want me to come back in 48 to 72 hrs to do another beta test... I pray I didnt miscarry some onr help me!!!
I had spotting when I was 4.5 weeks and it showed nothing, not even a sac. I was told I had most likely lost the baby. When the retested my HGC levels they were still rising. I had a second ultrasound at 6.5 weeks and there was my baby with a beating heart.
Spotting can be a scary thing, however I think we only hear the worst stories. I amnow 20 weeks and everything is going great. My baby is healthy.
I am to worried about no baby. Lmp was sept 21 so tec. I should be 8 weeks. Went to dr yesterday for first apt and did ultra sound and she didnt get to good of pic but tried to measure and got 6 weeks. Sent me to a more reliable machine and they found a sac but no pole yet and measured me at 5 weeks 5 days. I'm worried cuz I just delivered a still born at 17 weeks in June , should I have waited to get pregnant again or is it really to early to see any thing. Did do a hcg test yesterday and doing one tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers that they have doubled in numbers.
I had my first u/s at 5 weeks and only sack and yolk showed, I was told to prepare to miscarry and rescheduled for another scan 10 days later to see if I need an d&c just had the scan and everything is there, they have put me at 6 weeks and I could see the heartbeat so 5 weeks must be a little early x
Went to today and had u/s done at 5w5d and only saw yolk sac no heartbeat. Go back on the 29th. Just a lil worried is this all normal
Went to the ER on yesterday due to heavy bleeding(no blood clots). Didn't have any pregnancy symptoms other than missed period.(lmp 11/7/11) The ER doctor says nothing was found on ultrasound. Wants me to get repeat labs on tomorrow. I am so nervous!
I'm 38 days from last prd I took 4test all - should I wait to take another test I c my doc on the 6th of Jan and I need a piece of mind should this b normal never late on my prd and as u knw a lot of ppl worrie i been emotional and boobs r sore nipples r darkin then normal and pinching pains on the left lower side and my ribs hurt time to time is this normal?
Hi I had my ultrasound   at 4 w and 6 day nd saw nothing yet my pregy test still negative. But I'm delayed almost 1week is it possible I did it early ?my menstruation cycle is always 28 days..
I just had a ultrasound at 5weeks 5 days amd my ob said this is normal. I am scheduled for another one next week so no worries!!!
did everything go okay for Nads03 because i am going through the same thing
Hi I am five weeks preagnunt did an ultersound because of pain my belly my doc said they did not see anything but a black spot what must I do what to think
i read your post and i thought i was 9 weeks went for my u/s and it said 5 wks and all we say was a gs ... how is yours working out.... i just need some hope
Hi I had my first vaginal ultrasound yesterday at 5.1 weeks, doctor saw nothing but a sac, he schedule me in two weeks, and requested tons on blood test (9 tubes of blood) and really scared, my husband and I have been trying for over two years and we are really excited, this is my second pregnancy I'm just praying to God, everything will be ok, dont know if he saw the yolk sac, he just said... hmmm I only see the sac. I am schedule for another ultrasound on May 1st.
Hi im new to this im 23 yrs old this would be myfirst child. I went into er because afta intercourse i had terrible abdominal pains they gave me an us vaginal and on stomach i was 5 weeks 3 days they saw a sack but no baby. Im worried but i havent had any spotting. Is this normal??
This is sara.i.am 25 and its mg first baby.i went for an ultrasound and it revealed 5weeks with no embryo no fetal pole and illdeveloped gastational sac.i had very scanty spotting too yestaerday.is it a miscarriage?? Plz helpp
I had a scan yesterday and all they could see was the sac but they want me back in for another scan in a weeks time. Is there anychance there is just no bsby there or is it too early too see anything?
Hi I took a pregantcy test it was positive.twice.so l went to a center and they told me I was 5 weeks.from ma last period.so she schedule me and ultrasound for the next week.I went.so we where doin the ultrasound there is nothing buterus a dark spot..so we did it vaginaly still nothing.so she said it might be a miscarriage or its outside my uterus.but I have no pain or bleeding..so people say it jut to early..need advice..Help
My sister is in hospital she found out on sat she was pregnant but had a spot of bleeding she had ultrasound but nothing could be seen. her hormone levels read that she should be bout 7 weeks.dr did an internal  and couldn't see nothing in tubes either.they are doing another hormone levels today but have told my sister to prepare for the worst is it possible they just got dates mixed up and she less than 7 weeks thanx