Maternal & Child Community
Fluid In Brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Fluid In Brain

Does anyone have any experience and sucessfull stories on Hydrocephelus (fluid in brain)? Thanks.
My three year old has hydrocephalus, he does have some developmental and sensory issues but on he whole is a very happy little boy and we love hime dearly. He goes to pre school which he loves and is doing well in his group.
This site is really good:

www.asbah.org
Hi, my son was born with hydrocephalus (and spina bifida). He has a shunt placed in his brain to drain the fluid. Overall he is doing very well! And has no brain damage!
He will be 2 in July, and so far there hasn't been any development delays (other than the spina bifida issues). He is behind with his speech, but his therapist doens't think it's due to the hydro.

Are you or somebody that you know having a child or has a child with hydrocephalus?
Did your son get any surgery? Thanks.
Hi.  I read your qustion and I wanted to give you some hope.  I was born 2 months early and diagnosed hydrocephalus almost immediately.  A shunt was inserted imediately.  Althouh I have had a few surgeries to repair or lenghten my shunt I am perfectly healty.  I can do just about anything any one else can do and I've ha a shunt for 23 years.  I did things no one thought I could and am confident if I was a success story in 1984 whoever you know who is dealing with hydrocephalus will have a successful surgery and normal life. I hope this helps.