Maternal & Child Community
Getting labor induced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Getting labor induced

Hey ladies!! Hope everyone is doing well today :)

I just had a quick question. How many of you had your labors induced and how many cm were you and effaced? If you remember! And was it your first pregnancy, second...so on.

I am going in on Saturday, as far as I know I'm 2cm still thick. But...this is my 4th baby. My last induction at 37.5 weeks was only 5 hours, but I can't remember how dilated I was or effaced. So just wanting to hear some stories :)

God bless! Baby dust and sticky sticky baby dust to those carrying****** And Congrats to Mommies getting close and to the ones who have recently delivered :)
I was induced with my 2nd baby and I was 36 weeks and 2cm dialted. I had to wait over night and then in the morning they started me on the patosin(SP) and broke my water. They put something inside of my cervix to soften it and when I woke up in the morning I was having some mild contractions! It took about 6 hours to get her out! But it was only about 3 hours of hard labor!
"But it was only about 3 hours of hard labor!"

I hate you.  j/k

Jgirl, just wanted to say good luck!!!
I don't have an induction story but wanted to tell you good luck! Make sure you have a bag packed now B/C sometimes the threat of induction scares the baby out of you!!!! LOL keep us posted!
I know you've just gotta be sooo excited!!! W/ my first I was 36weeks & a few days, I was dialted to 5 & 80%thinned (was in for a reg prenatal visit & had no ideal, but Girl I prayed & prayed that it would happen that way the Dr would say ok go on over th L/D floor). Due to High BP the Dr induced. In about 4 & ahalf hours later my little guy was here. He was fine!! Praying this baby #2 will be the same :) LOVE & PRAYERS I know you are thrilled!!!
I was induced with y second at 44 weeks.  I was 3.5 cm dialated, and completely efaced.  I was having mild contrations, and I think I would have delivered him that night without the petocin, but I had a stroke and they wanted him out asap.  I started the petocin at about 1am, and he was born at 6:40 am.  It was pretty easy, I wouldnt have even taken the epidural, but with my first I was in active labour for over 40 hours, and I didnt dream he would be born so quickly.  The contractions are very intense, but then, you know that since youve beeninduced allready.  Good luck, and enjoy!!! Let us know how it is.  nothing in this world compares to child birth, no matter how painful:):)
Well if you REALLY want to hate me.... with my 1st one I went to the Doc. 5days before my due date and had no pain or anything and when he checked me I was 5 cm dialted! He said you need to get to the hospital ASAP .. I drove myself home and my mom and everybody was freaking! They popped my water at 7 cm I still hadn't been feeling too much and after they did that she was out in 45min to an hour.... that is all the hard labor I had with that one! Ahhh if they could all be like that! Jgirl it is your 4th so you should do okay! I know it is not that easy to think of it like that but I am sure everything will be great Saturday and you will be holding your beautiful baby! What are you having?
Good luck on your delivery.  Keep us posted!!
I was induced with my first two weeks early. I am tiny and the doc was worried that the baby would have a hard time getting out if I waited any longer. When I got to the hospital, I was three cm and 80% effaced. They offered me and epidural before I ever felt any pain. Of course I said no because I want to know what it felt like to be in labor. Now I know pain is pain and I dont like it! :) My labor was about 7 hours and I pushed like twice and he came out. 7 lb 9 oz. As for bookerswife, lets all hope and pray for a delivery like yours. We dont hate you but we sure are jealous!!
I know, even the nurse looked at me and said... you suck! LOL! I tend to get a lot of that! But funny thing is, with this one I want to have a real delivery, I want my water to break on it's own and I don't want to know when it is coming.... I know, stop yelling at the screen at me.. LOL, but in some way I feel cheated to never had my water break on it's own!
i was induced at 41 weeks 2 cms in labor for 19.5 hrs pushed for 27 mins lol...ds never dropped had to push him down
How is it that so many get induced prior to their due date?  My practice doesn't induce unless there is a major issue.  So I may have to wait until 41.5 weeks--ugh!!!
I know exactly how you feel. I felt cheated that the doctors did all of the mother nature stuff. It has been 4 1/2 years and I still wonder when I would have gone into labor if I hadnt been induced. If I get pregnant again soon.... cross your fingers!.... m/c on Aug. 22. I dont want to be induced. Unless I get cholestasis again. It was hell! I dont think I can handle that again.
No inductions here. Good luck on Saturday, I hope you have a speedy, safe and healthy delivery. :)

So sorry for your loss and I hope next time around will be the one for you! I definetly don't want to get induced unless I have to!
Hey, I was induved with my last 3 kids. First one I was overdue and I was dialated to 1 nad it lasted 21 hours. The one after that, which is my 3rd kid, I was also overdue and I was dialted to 2 and that took 11 hours. My last I was induced 2 weeks early cause she was big. I was dialated to 2 and very thick and that one took 17 hours. So you see that it varies. I had no trublw with pushing in fact my first 3 kids was out in 3 pushes, however my last one took awhile to push, I wouls say about 20 minutes becasue her arm was stuck behind her head. She was all tangled up thanks to the cord. Anyway Good luck and hope your labor goes quick. I wish you a safe labor also for you and your baby. We will be thinking of you.
Tiffany
Lets hope your water doesnt break in public.
lol Thanks everyone for your stories! Im still laughing at everyone not liking you bookerswife!! J/k. I just hoe this one goes fast. I had contractions 3 min apart last week and they put me at the 2 cm but they all the sudden have stopped. So I hope with a little bit of pitocin  that the contractions will do some work and help me dilate quick! Either way, the end result is what matters and no matter how long it takes it will all be worth it. Oh and bookerswife I am having a little girl,  Anna. :) I will keep everyone updated on how it went! God Bless!
Congrats! I know your little girl will be perfect! Maybe you could have a quick delivery and then everyone will not like you either! LOL!!!! Good luck hun!
With my first, I was dilated to 2 and somewhere around 80% effaced. I went in at 6:30pm on a Thursday, got the cervadil, made little progress and about 10am the next day they started the pit and broke my water when I was 3, at 5pm I started pushing at at 8:25pm he was delivered with a 3rd degree episiotomy and vacuum assistance. Not a good delivery!!

With my second, I went in at Midnight, got the cervadil around 1 am or so and i was between 1-2 cm, 50-75% effaced. At about 7am I was still not making much progress. They started pit at around 11am, still not going anywhere. At about 1:30 she checked me, I was 3 cm. She called the doc to come break my water. At around 2 my water broke on its own while waiting for the doc. Within 15 minutes I was 10 cm, the doc finally showed up as I was dilating. She kept checking me and then realized the cord prolapsed. they spent about 15 minutes fumbling with trying to push it back in, doing an amniotic infusion, changing out the fetal heart rate probe, and slapping O2 on me. 14 pushes later, my little man was born. 1 stitch for an upward tear. our theory on the slow then lightening fast progression was that I had the scar tissue from the surgery I had done on my cervix 2 years before for cervical cancer. It was keeping things from progressing, but once the tissue broke loose, things progressed very quickly.

I was able to do the second one without pain meds, which really helped me get into it and push effectively. I am kind of hoping to do the same with this one. No pain meds if possible, but we'll have to see : )

Andi
I am possibly getting induced next Thursday due to GD and a big baby. I will know more tomorrow after my appt. but last week I ws 1 cm and 70% effaced. I really hope I have progressed some more, the Dr. said that so far things were favorable that an induction would work.
I was induced at 40wks, 1d. After having my membranes stripped twice and a 6hr gelling procedure in the hospital I was at a good 3cm. They started the Pitocin at 7:30am, broke my water at 9:30am, I was fully dilated (finally!!!) at 6:30pm (after I threw up water all over my husband, gotta love those ice chips), started pushing at 7:30p and had Trenton at 8:18pm. He was 9lbs, 3oz and 21" long, along with a 15" round head!!!
I was two weeks over due when they induced.  I was 100% effaced and 3cm. It was my first and only baby.  It took three days of inducing (PIT) and draining his pool for him to come out! LOL

Everything will be just fine.  Congratulations and best of luck.  

God Bless
Thanks everyone :) Sounds like I have certainly been blessed in hearing some of your experiences. I can't really complain with my labors I have had in the past. My little girl (my first) I got induced with her and was 0cm and 0% effaced. I went in and they started the pitocin at like 11:30am then by 11:00 pm they stopped it because I wouldn't progress. They put a cervadil in overnight and then started the pitocin the next morning at 6am and it took 10 hours. Next labor I went on my own and was 7.5 and then the next was pitocin, no cervadil and he was 5 hours. HOPEFULLY this one will be about the same as the last :) Ah the nerves lol! I will update. Thanks again ladies :)
Well I was leaking lots of fluid and I had a rough preg. my 2nd one! I had to have my gallbladder taken out on my first day of my second trimester and my platelts were real low and I wouldn't do the steroids so they said they would just go ahead and take her!
I was 38.5 weeks with my first, and was not dialated or effaced at all. It took 23 hours. I'm sure you'll do much better.