Maternal & Child Community
HCG LEVELS RISING AND NO FETUS FOUND AT SONOGRAM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HELLO MY CONCERN IS MY LAST MENTRUAL WAS MARCH 13TH 2004, ON MAY 5TH I HAD A SONOGRAM DONE AND THE DOC FOUND THE SAC BUT COULDNT SEE A FETUS GROWING, HE GOT DISCOURAGED AND 2 DAYS LATER I HAD ANOTHER SONOGRAM DONE BUT AGAIN NOTHING WAS FOUND. IVE HAD  2 BLOODWORKS TAKEN 1 BEFORE THE 1ST SONOGRAM WHICH I WAS A 28,000 HCG LEVEL AND THEN 6 DAYS LATER AT 44,000.  I GO BACK ON MONDAY FOR ONE MORE SONOGRAM TO SEE IF WE WILL SEE ANYTHING. I WAS QUESTIONING COULD THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG WITH MY WEEKS AND MAYBE THOUGHT I WAS FAR ALONG AND REALLY WASNT. DO THE HCG LEVELS LOOK LIKE THIS MIGHT BE POSITIVE? CAN I BE ABOUT 6 WKS INSTEAD OF 9 WKS? AND EXACTLY AT WHAT WEEK DO U ACTUALLY SEE A FETUS IN THE SAC?
I just wanted to say that I experienced the same situation a little over a year ago. I had miscarried twice already so once I found out I was pregnant the doctor wanted me in right away for an ultra sound to see if there was a fetus and heart beat. I had the same exact problem there was a sac but not fetus so just like you the doctor thought maybe it was just too soon. But I knew exactly when my last menstrual cycle was so I knew I was right about how far along I was. I also did the blood work and my HCG levels were high too. So we waited a week and tried the ultra sound again and still no fetus so I was told that I would have to have a d&c done because no fetus was developing. In other words I miscarried again. I was so sure that the doctor was wrong that on the morning of my D&C I had the nurse check my HCG level one more time and by then it was dropping. I had all the signs of being pregnant but no fetus. Not that your case will turn out like mine but I just wanted to share this with you. I waited 4 months and got pregnant again for the 4th time and I had another ultra sound done right away and there was a heart beat so they started me on hormone injections immediately and I had them twice a week until my 13 week of pregnancy- it worked I delivered a healthy baby girl last year! They think that my HCG levels start to drop and that is why I miscarry so these hormone injections are of the HCG to help support my pregnancy and it seemed to have worked. But again you have to have a fetus with a heart beat before they will start the injections....I hope everything works out for you...I know exactly how you are feeling right now...
well congratulations on your lil girl, i guess i will just sit tight and wait to see what happens with mondays sonogram and hope they see something if not i will have to have a dnc done as well. thanks for replying
I will be waiting to hear how your appointment goes on Monday and I will be hoping for the very best. I don't think they see a heart about until the 5 week of pregnancy. Is this your first pregnancy? I think it is a very good sign that you can get pregnant - they have so many tests they can perform to help you these days...I'll be thinking of you...
Yes I remember the doctors being very excited that I was experiencing morning sickness they said that is a good sign and that was with the pregnancy that I did deliver my daughter. You do sound like everything is going like it should...do let me know. Thank you for making me feel better about trying again...I just always have that doubt in the back of my mind.
ACTUALLY ITS MY 3RD PREGANANCY. BUT FIRST TIME I EVER WENT THRU A PROBLEM LIKE THIS. I DONT HAVE ANY SIGNS OF MISCARRIAGE LIKE BLEEDING OR ANYTHING, MY BREASTS ARE VERY TENDER, AND I STARTED HAVING MORNING SICKNESS 2 DAYS AGO, SO IM HOPING THATS A SURE SIGN OF EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE AND THE DOCTORS JUST MISCALCULATED. SO YOUR THINKING ON SECOND BABY, YOU WILL BE FINE.
One more thing when I went in at 5 weeks there was a fetus in the sac with a heart beat so I'm not sure at what week the fetus does show in the sac but I do know at 5 weeks I had a fetus in the sac...If that helps your question...So many people take getting pregnanct for granted and people like us worry the whole time hoping everything will be okay...I so remember those days...We will start trying for a second baby this month and I am scared of going through the miscarriages again....it's always in your mind....talk to you soon.
Just checking on you to see how your ultra sound went yesterday...I hope everything went good. Please let us know.
I am so sorry to hear there was no heart beat...I have been there and I know exactly how you are feeling. Especially when there are good pregnancy signs like the morning sickness and then it's like a ton of bricks have been dropped on you when the doctor gives you the news. I remember that empty feeling and with my miscarriages I hadn't had any children yet so when I'd go to the grocery store or uptown and see children I would get so upset and just cry. Did your HCG levels eventually start dropping? I remember the doctor telling me there was no heart beat and I kept thinking they had calculated wrong and all he was concerned with was scheduling my D&C. So I asked for an other HCG test just to double check and he was right it had started to drop. I don't understand why this happens either I mean the doctor's say it was nothing we did just the way our chromosomes fused together but it doesn't make us feel any better. Your 10 lbs may just be water weight give yourself some time you have been through a lot...It's nothing you did it's god way of letting us know something wasn't right with our baby and he didn't want him/her to suffer.... Hopefully in three months you will be able to try again...I will be thinking of you and praying for you....if you need to talk please write I have been there three times and I know how you are feeling...I am so glad we have this chat board because when I miscarried I felt so alone I didn't know anywone who had went through this so I had no one to talk too....I am really shocked at how common this is...it's really sad......take care and I wish all the best with your next pregnancy......
IM BACK, I WAS OUT OF WORK FOR A COUPLE DAYS, ULTRASOUND WASNT GOOD THEY FOUND THE BABY BUT NO HEARBEAT AND I WAS 9 WKS ALREADY. IT WAS THE SADDEST THING WHEN THE DOCTOR TOLD ME THIS, I GOT SO EXCITED WHEN I ACTUALLY SAW SOMETHING IN THE SAC. SO I  HAD MY D&C DONE ON TUESDAY AND NOW WELL I FEEL EMPTY AND CONFUSED. I GAINED 10 PLDS FROM THIS AND I WAS SO CAREFUL EATING RIGHT TAKING MY PRENATAL PILLS, AND DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT WENT WRONG. BUT THANK YOU FOR ASKING ME. I GUESS THIS WASNT MEANT TO BE.
THANKS NIKI, QUESTION HOW LONG BEFORE YOU HAD INTERCOURSE AGAIN? I KNOW THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO WAIT 14 DAYS AND I SCREWED UP AFTER 5 DAYS. NOW IM FREKIN OUT WONDERING IF I COULD HURT MYSELF FOR DOING SO MEANING MY INSIDES. YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A PROBLEM?
The doctor told me 2 weeks but if I remember right I think I stopped bleeding after a week and that's when I probably had intercourse again...I think you will be fine I wouldn't worry about it...Your body would have let you know that it was to soon..it would have been hurting you.The only thing you don't want to do is get pregnant right away...When you have a d/c they scrap the lining of your uterus so there is no lining for the egg to implant itself in securely. You need to have a few periods to build up your uterus lining again. They told me 3 motnhs before trying again I think I got pregnant at 4 months.I will be thinking of you and make sure you keep me updated I can't wait to hear when you are expecting again! I am a good example that things do work out it just takes some of us a little longer! Good Luck!
I found out on June 2 that I am pregnant.  This is after 1 invitro cycle where my eggs after fertilization were inadvertantly thrown out and then another cycle (obviously paid for by the fertility clinic and my money was refunded)which I completed in April.  I had my last period on April 28.  I am very fortunate that I have 2 children which are 12 and 9 years old.  My husband and I have always wanted more and I experienced two miscarriages, one in 1996 and one in 1997.  I have not been pregnant for 7 years and now after all the fertility stuff, we have gotten pregnant on our own.  We have been in total shock.  What I am most concerned about is that my
second miscarraige (miscarriage) was an empty sack and I am so afraid of that happening again.  The other thing that is really concerning me is that I am not really having that many symptoms except for being tired and somewhat dizzy but I haven't felt sick yet or had breast tenderness.  I am about 6 weeks--I have had 3 blood tests--one to confirm the pregnancy, one to show that my Hcg levels were doubling, and a third one yesterday for my peace of mind which was at 2680 and the clinic said that they wanted it at at least 2000.  I am using progesterone suppositories twice a day.  I have my 1st ultrasound on Monday but I am so nervous because I have had a little spotting since yesterday--off and on.  Just a little once and a while.  I guess I just want my fears of the lack of my symptoms overcome or to hear that other people didn't have a lot of symptoms either.  After all I have been through, I just don't know why I would have this wonderful opportunity and then not have it work out.  I was just beginning to heal emotionally from the in-vitro not working and coming to grips with my life being full with my two children and that would be it.  Now I have received new hope---just am hoping it will work out.
Dawnhug
whats that shot called that induced your miscariage? im curiouse because i am carrying twins and they say 12 weeks but my hormones are low and they cannot find the heart rate.And hey the third doctor on the last 4 days im not ready to give up yet tho
Actually i'm pregnant 8 weeks, Yesterday i went for ultrasound, but there was an empty sac and no heartbeat. The doctor advice me to wait another 2 weeks for another ultrasound. But she don't give me any hope. Now i started thinking what will happend next in another 2 weeks. Any opinion.?
yesterday i started to spot went to emergency told my hcg is at 28000 like you they found a sac no fetus, what i don't know is what will happen next? is there anyone who was told this, and they did find a fetus? what happened in your case.
last tuesday i went for another u/s no fetus, no heartbeat, today i went again and had another trans vaginal u/s now i could clearly hear a heartbeat and they found the baby according to measurements i am 7weeks 1 day :)