Maternal & Child Community
HELP ANYONE PLEASE...RASH ON 6 MOS OLD

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HELP ANYONE PLEASE...RASH ON 6 MOS OLD

Hi ladies, I posted 4 photos of my ds' rash...it first began just like little red spots...my mil took a look and said it was a normal baby thing...okay...sure...now 3 days later this is what I saw after giving him his bath...He has been really irritable, stuffy nose, etc these past 2 days...but just a slight fever..nothing too serious in that case, he still has his appetite..well WHAT is this rash????
im so worried i forgot to mention where..he had the spots in his back, stomache, chest and arms and his neck so we figured sweat rash...but on his arm this is what developped...I've tried putting a photo of his stomache for the little spots but its not very clear..please help..
It looks like the one my 15m old gets all the time.  It is a virul infection coming out as a rash.  No harm.  Bath him in oatmeal bath if it is uncomfortable.
thank you i think i am going to call his dr in the am and see what he may choose to do...he might want to see him
I just pulled up a picture of dd's rash at 5 months. It looks pretty similar but was all over her body & face. DH took her to the dr and they checked her throat and made sure she could breath okay and said it's just a fluke thing and gave us no diagnosis. They did allow us to give her benadryl. I would still just check w/dr. anyways...
Lauren's first case of strep throat was a freaky rash, but no fever.  Could also be eczema, which Lauren now has pretty widespread over her legs and arms.  Could be any number of things....Best to call doc and inquire.  Good luck to ya, hope you and the baby can get some relief.

Itchy, rashy babies are the worst 'cause it seems so innocent (unlike vomitting or high fever) but there's not a whole lot you can do.  
this morning it seems to be clearing up..i worry the dr will think ims stupid or worried for nothing...
My dd devoloped a rash of tiny dots on her abdomen after having stomach flu.  Four weeks later, it was still there, so I showed the doctor during her check-up.  She said it was just the illness coming out in a rash, and they can remain for a long time.  Two weeks later, she still has some spots, but they're fading.
Oh, they won't think you are any more stupid than me and hubby (see my journal note on Lauren and our visits to the doc).  So, if you are concerned, then call the doc.  It's always better to be safe than sorry and worry.  It might be something or not.  We didn't even know Lauren was sick that first time, just had this funky rash and it was strep.  Then later it was just eczema (tell that to Lauren that it's JUST ECZEMA).  

If your doc has a phone nurse, you could start there.  Docs won't think you are stupid until around the 200th time you visit over nothing...then they might suspect, but won't say anything.  :0)

However, odds that it *might* be something, especially considering how wicked this cold and flu season has been are pretty good.  And this has been a wicked cold and flu season, at least around here.
Doctors don't care, they know how moms can be.  Especially first time moms.  If your doc does have a problem and seems annoyed then you need to find another one who is more tolerant.  As for the rash, it could be little hives from the baby being sick.  It's hard to tell.  Babies get rashes all the time.  My son had one all over his face and neck when he was a newborn and now he has eczema.  My ped said that babies often get rashes all the time and that they are usually nothing rashes.  Their skin is so sensitive.  
Babies get rashy all the time.  No need to really worry unless its accompanied by a high fever or the baby is acting strangely or seems unduly sick.

Do you have a book about newborns at all?  You might want to invest in a good one.  Your peds nurse might be able to recommend one that can answer a lot of your questions.

thank you...i have checked him again and i must have still had my sleep eyes on because it's still the same and now he has some developing in his back and the tiny spots he has are darker and red..i know that babies have sensitive skin but i didnt change anything in his clothes washing habits or eating habits or anything:S i worry because its never been there and now it is and it started as one thing and its getting worse...

peek-i love the idea about a book..i could ask the dr about one he could reccomend
Is he uncomfortable?  Does it seem to be bothering him to the point where he is crying and cranky?  If it is then I would bring him in to see the doc.  If it isn't than I wouldn't worry so much but if you want to put a call in to your doc just for piece of mind then you should.
hes been acting up like irritable and cranky for nothing the past week..i figured it was only teething...because he had the low grade 99-100F associated so i never really made a big deal..then the little spots came out like on his belly and on his back and arms(i got worried...mil looked and said that was normal) so we thought it was either like a little sweat rash or related to teething...so i calmed down a bit and didnt make an issue..then sunday his nose started getting runny as mine so ive been taking the meds...helping a lil i am feeling a lil better...he got over the runny nose and BAM this is what i noticed last night..it wasnt there yesterday morning...
Then I would just call the doctor.  It could just a nothing rash but just in case it isn't I would call.
i just called the dr and the sec said to bring him in...she said it could be nothing but that if it is something they would want to know especially with babies it can be a number of things..i hadnt even told her about his activity like irritability  in the day and she just automatically said to bring him in...so i will let you know when we get back
Yes, keep me posted.  I hope it goes well and it is nothing but a normal, typical baby rash.
im going to feel really silly if its nothing...:S being a mother is soo scary sometimes
we took ds to his pediatrician at 12 today and we just got in...it's eczema..the dr gave him some ointment for it as well as reccomended he use aveno for his cream after baths and in between... to keep his skin moist...i am currently using johnson and johnson but im wondering if i should change his body wash to aveno stuff...he gained a lbs and 2 oz in almost 2 mos and is 4cm longer
oh yah i dont feel so silly now because the dr reassured me that if i would of let it be then that it would of just gotten worse and worse and right now we have a better chance of keeping it under control and possibly it staying away...who knows right?
That's great news.  I use Aveno baby for my son.  He has eczema on his arms and legs.  He also gets very dry and chapped on his cheeks.  I guess because they are so big...heehee.  Anyway I'm glad to hear that everything is ok.  You are not silly, you are mother so don't feel bad at all.  Now at least you know what it is.
ya its really nice to finally know...