Maternal & Child Community
HELP MY 3 1/2 YEAR WON'T POTTY TRAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HELP MY 3 1/2 YEAR WON'T POTTY TRAIN

I have a 3 1/2 year old that just won't potty train.  She is wearing pull ups put she doesn't seem to feel it when she has an accident #1 or #2.  Ive tried the m&m trick,  Ive tried waiting it out, Ive tried buying her a really cool potty that she would like.. ive tried singing and dancing when she went, Ive tried puting her in big girl undies so she could feel the difference from a diaper but after she had an accident she said she had to go potty only cause it was running down her leg.   Ive tried letting her go in the big people potty,  I ask her if she has to go potty she says no.  I will try to take her to the potty around every hour or so but nothing ever happens.  When I check her sometimes she has went #2 I ask her if she went potty she says no i ask her you didn't feel you had to go potty and she said no.  I don't know what to do.  any one have any suggestions of what else I can do Im desperate isn't 4 a little to old to be in a diaper?? HELP ME PLEASE
It is very possible she just doesn't feel the sensations. I have a boy who will be 5 in March, he does okay most of the time but I would say he still isn't 100% trained as he still will not tell us when he needs to go. For us it just took lots and lots of patience and lots of trying. The thing that works best for us is to leave him with out anything on at all, no diaper, no underwear, no pants. Sure it was a bit messy at first but every time he had an accident we told him he needed to make sure he put his pee in the potty and not on the floor. He has a little potty chair that he can go on. He still struggles when he is wearing his underwear and we have to be responsible for taking him every 45 mins to an hour if we are away from home as he only tells us he needs to go once he is wet, although this is improving and he will stop himself now so rather than soaked underwear he may just have a tiny little wet bit in his pants. We also found loose underwear (boxers) better as it felt less like a diaper.
It is hard when you have a late potty trained but they aren't doing it on purpose, they need lots of love and encouragement, sounds like you are doing this, keep it up, she will train eventually.
Best of luck.
I think you're doing a great job! It just takes some kids longer than others. Don't worry! She's not going to grow up and still wear diapers, honey :) Keep doing what you're doing and she'll get the hang of it eventually. Try leaving her with only underwear on for a couple of weeks so she can feel the wetness and she'll start to become more aware of what she feels that makes her wet herself so she will start recognizing the time she needs to go. Good luck!
Have you had a new baby recently or have you moved houses or had any sort of change (good or bad) recently? I found that my DS refused to learn to go potty when there was even the slightest change in the house...and he did not decide to go until 2 weeks before school started!! I was beside myself! Anyway, I think, as the other posters said, that you are doing everything right. Some kids take longer to get there with it but I did find comfort in the fact that there aren't kids in university with diapers on so I knew it would happen eventually. I bet when it does happen, it'll happen quickly. When my DS finally decided he was ready, it took one hour!!
I never had a problem with DD and my mom said I was pretty easy, and she doesn't know if it made it easier for me or not, but she had gotten me a potty seat, and she had me sit on it all the time, like a chair.  When she read me stories I was sitting on the potty seat, if we played card games like go fish I was sitting on the potty seat...anything I did sitting down, I was diaperless sitting on the potty seat.  
I saw how frustrating it can be with my nephew...but at 3 and a half he finally had a hair cut (after being called a girl at the mall) and he decided he looked like a big guy, and he all of a sudden started going in the potty.  I hope she gets there soon for your sake, but it sounds like you are doing everything possible to help her and hanging in there.
I agree with one of the comments above.  Some children just take longer than others, as frustrating as this can be!  I was very lucky, my mum had warned me to be prepared as boys normally take longer with potty training, but both mine were fully dry day and night by the age of two!  how ever it was my youngest who took longer.  i tried him around 18months as this had been when my eldest had managed it.  he wasnt having any of it though and i got annoyed.  it was this experience though that helped me learn no two children are the same.  under advise of my friend who warned me to maybe back off for a while, otherwise i may scare him and he'll never want to go, i listened to this and when i tried again 6 months later he cottoned on straight away, he obviously wasnt ready for it as quickly as my eldest had been.  dont give up..she'll get there in the end when she is ready :)
Does your child have any developmental delays?

Do you think there is a physical problem?

Some children do take longer to train and in most cases will be trained before they go to school.

Personally, I never used pull ups.  With my first I couldn't afford them.  With my second I just figured why bother?  We use cloth diapers and I think that adds a little incentive.

If it is warm enough where you live, the no pants method is very successful.

the final trick with my two oldest was a bribe from a family friend.  When my dd was 2, my mother's best friend had a formal gathering and my mum put PJ in her big girl panties and told her it was a big girl party and she couldn't pee in her pants.  That was that.

When my ds was 2.5 he was not interested in the potty.  A family friend (who is a peds nurse) told him that she had a prize (a Bob the Builder key chain) for the next little boy who peed in his potty three times.  And she cautioned him that she knew a lot of little boys.  That was Sunday.  Monday at noon we called her to collect the prize.

Our youngest is 17 months, I'm hoping to find someone to bribe her in a few months.....