Maternal & Child Community
HPV during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

HPV during pregnancy

Hi im six months now and i found out that i have genital warts i want to get rid of them but my doctor says no until i deliver, i've talked to other doctors and they say it's safe to do it now...how can i get rid of them?
depends on if there is any cervical dysplasia.  To get rid of the dysplasia they have to surgically excise the area that is affected.  I know in males the warts themselves can be treated with a cream.  Don't know how they remove internal warts.

HOpe that helps
I also have had genitial warts. I actually only had one and it was before I became pregnant. They basically used a type of acedic acid to burn it off. I know this sounds really scary, but it was not and I had only a small amount of discomfort. Genitial warts are actually not only an STD they can happen because of a virus in your body that gets triggered. This is what they thought happened with me, because I had been married several years when it first appeared and they usually don't lay in a dormant phase. I also tend to get alot of cold sores and these are trigger by the herpes simplex virus. The virus for the warts is very similar in nature. Also, if you do get it by intercourse then you would most likely have noticed it on your male partner. I actually have not had a breakout since then and that has been about 8 years ago. I do know that pregnancy makes them grow and it is dangerous to give a vaginal birth if you have an outbreak because it can be taken into the baby's mouth as they pass through and it can cause problems with the vocal cords.It can attach in the throat and cause damage. This was all explained to me by my OB, but since they never came out during pregnancy I was fine. I delivered him vaginally and he was not infected.
I read my post I wanted to make something a little more clear. HPV (Human Pampomilla (sp) Virus, which causes genitial warts) is a virus that can already be in your system. You can be a carrier like people who carry the Herpes Simplex virus. Lucky me I have both! :) Then it can be triggered sometime during your life. You can pass it to your partner if it is exposed during BD. I would suggest that you use protection with your partner, so you do not infect him also. If he was lucky he did not contract it while you were ttc. He may want to be tested just in case, because if you get yours under control and he has an outbreak he will simply give it right back to you.
I have read that the virus can actually lay dormant for years (pretty scary) and show up years later even though warts are not present.  The only way the virus can be contracted is my sexual contact and that can even include oral sexual contact.  If either partner has had sexual contact with anyone who has has the virus, gets the warts, gets rid of them, the virus remains dormant.  It may or may not ever show up again.  I have also read that the warts need to be gotten rid of before delivering vaginally or the risk of damage to the vocal cords.  If your doctor cannot give you a safe way to get rid of the warts, I would check into another doctor.  You can call the STD hotline and they can give you additional information.  I'm sorry that you have to go through this.  If you never had warts before, it is possible that your husband had it from previous sexual contact in his past.  Men don't often notice those things.  Especially warts can come and go without being noticed yet the virus still remains present.  If you and your husband both get treated NOW, there is a chance the virus could go into a dormant state and never come back rather than being passed back and forth.  Let us know how it goes.
HELLO.. I AM 6 1/2 MONTHS PREGNANT. AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE TO GET TESTED FOR HPV. I AM DEVISTATED. MY BOYFRIEND AND I SPLIT UP AFTER 3 YEARS AND GOT BACK TOGETHER DEC 31ST 03. WELL COME TO FIND OUT HE SLEPT WITH A FEW PEOPLE WHILE WE WERE BROKEN UP AND IM AFRAID HE HAS GIVIN IT TO ME.. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME. I AM VERY CLEAN AND AM VERY CAREFUL OF WHO I WAS WITH IN THE PAST USING PROTECTION. DOES THIS MEAN IM GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A SECECTION NOW? I WANTED TO HAVE A NATURAL BIRTH. I AM JUST SO UPSET ITS ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT 24/7. ON HOW DIRTY I FEEL :(... SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME
HELLO.. I AM 6 1/2 MONTHS PREGNANT. AND I JUST FOUND OUT THAT I HAVE TO GET TESTED FOR HPV. I AM DEVISTATED. MY BOYFRIEND AND I SPLIT UP AFTER 3 YEARS AND GOT BACK TOGETHER DEC 31ST 03. WELL COME TO FIND OUT HE SLEPT WITH A FEW PEOPLE WHILE WE WERE BROKEN UP AND IM AFRAID HE HAS GIVIN IT TO ME.. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING TO ME. I AM VERY CLEAN AND AM VERY CAREFUL OF WHO I WAS WITH IN THE PAST USING PROTECTION. SO IM GUESSING THIS MEAN IM GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE A SECECTION NOW I WANTED TO HAVE A NATURAL BIRTH. I AM JUST SO UPSET ITS ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT 24/7. ON HOW DIRTY I FEEL :(... SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME
As long as you don't have any warts present, you should be fine.  If there are warts, the doctor should treat them.  If they are completely gone before delivery, then you shouldn't need a C section.  This is what I read in OB/Gyn book that I have.  I would talk to your doctor about this.  I hope that your pegnancy goes well.  Ask Christ to forgive you and cleanse you from your past.  He will and then you won't have to feel so aweful and dirty.  As for the hpv virus going away, I am not sure about that, but the warts can be treated.  You can still have a healthy delivery.  I wish you the best.
I noticed I had genital warts about nine months ago.  At first it was just a couple and I was so freaked out I avoided looking down there for a month.  By that time there were a lot and they had spread to the inside of my vagina.  I went to a dermatalogist who examined them and told me they were, in fact, genital warts.  She prescribed me a cream (Aldara) which got rid of most of them after about a month.  I was not in a relationship at the time and had been with a few guys.  I insisted on condoms with any further partners I had, but because the warts could be felt I did not want to be touched and I avoided oral sex.  The embarassment caused more emotional trauma than anything.  I got pregnant three months later and they came back, but only for a short time.  The father did not develop any while we were together, though he knew I had them.  While I was getting intimate with a previous partner I noticed he had warts on the underside of his shaft.  I stopped immediately but did not communicate why.  I just want to stress that it is extremely important to look at your partner's genitals- be aware.  I have become content with the result of my bad decisions but they could have been avoided if I had only used protection.
to lovin mom well christ had nothing to do with mom2be geting hpv b/c my boyfriend and i are religious and we both have hpv and mom2be i know how you feel being scared and feeling dirty but just remember as long as you do the best you can to get rid of the warts and stay with the person you are with if you choose to do so than everything will be fine. HPV is very common and i've read that over 20 million persons have it so don't worry about it. b/c the reason i have mine is b/c my boyfriend and i broke up and we both slept with persons who we trusted to be clean and one of then oviously wasn't so it's not nessecarally your fault or your boyfriends fault i was the person who had HPV and didn't tell you or your b/f
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
i hope your excited b/c i know this is my first and I couldn't be more excited to meet my little guy
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
hope this helps you
and congrats about your baby
Hi Gals,

I did not mean that Christ gave this gal warts because she was doing wrong.  He did not cause it.  I meant that only Christ can help us with feeling quilty.  It is really not God's will that we sleep around in many relationships.  He tells us that not to condemn us but for our own good.  When we get out of God's plan for our lives, we open up ourselves for bringing problems on ourselves.  We self caused the problem, not God.  Couples who only have sex with each other and no other person do not get HPV.  It is only from having many relationships.  Even though this is the case, God still loves us and does not condemn us.  He wants to help us with feeling quilty and feeling dirty.  He can even heal us of such things and will if we allow Him.  He will even heal us physically if he so chooses.  Do you know that jumping off of a roof will cause injury to yourself?  Of course you.  The law of gravity is that we will fall downward and hurt ourselves.  The same is when we get out of God's laws.  We injure ourselves.  The injury from the roof is not from the roof or the ground.  It is from our own action of jumping off.  The same is with decisions that we make.  They even help us or injure us.  I hope that this makes sense to you.  I wish you two the best and a safe, happy pregnancy.  God loves us so much.  Jesus said that He did not come to condemn the world, but to save it.  That means to bring His truth that is good for us and will help us.
I also have HPV and I am 8 months pregnant.  I think that you should get a second opnion because my doc told me that they can be removed during pregnency but only by 2 ways. 1 is to have them burned off and the other is to have them frozen off.  Any other way is harmful to the baby.  In my opnion I would do this soon because you need to decide if you are going to leave them alone or get them removed before your baby is born.  As long as there is no warts present at time of birth the chances are basically NIL.  There is a risk of the baby getting warts on his/hers vocal cords and difficulities breathing if you devliver vaginally.  Your baby can still contract it even through a C-Section but the risk is less through the C-Section.  I also know that the risk of this happening is VERY SLIM.  My doctor told me that he has only ever seen it once where the baby was affected by it and hes been a docotr for like more than 10yrs.  Thats my opnion and that comes from someone who is in the same situation.  I hope it helps you at least a little.
I have HPV and my doctor told me that it wouldn't affect my pregnancy in anyway except during delivery if I was having a breakout I would have to have a secerian to insure the babies safety.. I also would like to say that I am married and was very shocked to hear that I had this, I was also upset and felt dirty and did't handle it will.. luckily my husband is very supportive, but this is a very common disease and I have met so many women with it.... including my own mom.. who never told me untill after I was diagnosed... she has three beautiful chidlren all naturally delivered with no complications... so just relax and know that everything is ok.. alot of women have HPV and don't even know they have it...
Thanks so much for your advice. My husband and  I want to have another child but found out          i have precancerous cell which calls for minor surgery.  I thought after this procedure and the fact that i have HPV it would be difficult to have another baby. But after research and your refreshing thoughts i feel much better now. Also to mom2be once I had my warts removed in 2004 they never came back so seek a second opnion and do your research because it's your body and your baby.
I just wanted to note, I am only 3 months along and have never had an outbreak until recently. As my doctor explained and gave me plenty of information about what to do now and after the baby.

1) 8 out of every 10 people have HPV that means even the cleanest of people

2) I read one woman who said that we should ask for gods forgiveness about  feeling dirty.. yes she may have meant it in a kind way but I found it offensive. I am a christian but I know this is nothing I need forgiveness for and yes ladies I too still feel uncomfortable and need I say it... dirty but look at the statistics. Once you have unprotected sex once in your life you have an 80% chance of catching this. The important thing is that you are one who found out, imagine how many women don't know.

3) This is more dangerous for women over men. Beause our immune systems are lower while pregnant the warts can appear (mine did for the first time) they are embarrassing but more importantly HPV is the number one cause for cervical cancer and since you cannot be vaccinated with gardisil while pregnant, make sure you do as soon as the pregnancy is over. There are over 70 different strands of HPV with 4 main types, you probably one have one which means you can be vaccinated for the others and greatly lower the rick of cervical cancer. For males, cancer doesn't often occur from HPV.

4) Beyond this have the warts removed a month before your expected that way they don't have time to grow back if you want vaginal birth and also may I add a girl can even get HPV from a guy wearing a condom as both of my doctors explained. Sweat, etc. is not protected at the very base of the penis so yes be careful but a major part of that is get vaccinated and know whether you have slept with 1 guy or 25 guys you have an 80% chance or more of having HPV....

I try to enjoy this journey the best I can and the growing bumps my other half knows about but never makes me feel less beautiful... isn't that what matters?

does anyone know what the statistics are for passing the hpv gential (genital) warts on to children not just the ones in the throat? i just found out that i have them and i am worried about my children. i know there is nothing i can do but i want to do everything i can to prevent passing it to my children.
I am six months pregnant i have gential (genital) warts but ive had them since i was in my teens and ive had many freezings and lazer surgery.  i had a daughter when i was 29 and she was fine i am now 36 and im 6 months pregnant now and i am not having a out break in my woo woo area but i have about 4 warts that have formed where they will be doing my c-section insision.  i never have gotten warts on my body on the outside.  and they just appeared since my second pregnancy and im worried that my baby will be affected somehow with warts.  why now why this pregnancy im worried plus i saw on TLC where that guy was half man half tree cause of warts.  maybe i need to stop watching tv until the baby is born because of TLC shows like that and mystery diagnosis im freaking LOL
With my first child I had an outbreak at 8 months pregnant just on the opening of my vagina.  My doctor said that it was too late to do anything with them, and the risk of having a vaginal delivery was very low for complications.  
It was very embarassing as they were very visible for the nurses to see when they were checking me while in labour.  My doctor removed them just after delivery, and my son, who is now 4 has never had any problems.
It has been over just over four years now, and I'm now pregnant with my third child(almost 7 months) and I'm really starting to worry about another outbreak, but I know how slim the chances are to pass it on, the only thing that worries me is the embarassment during delivery.(which is forgotten the moment the baby is born!!)
Hope this helps.
i am 4 months pregnant. i found out i had hpv around 6 weeks. my doctor told me it nothing he can do about it till the baby is born. but i have bad out breaks. this is my first pregnancy. im only 19 years of age. im kinda scared that i will past it on to my child. i pray to God i dont. No one in my family knows. not even my childs father im scared to tell anyone. just seem so embarassing. me and my childs father has broken up. because i dont like to be touch no. i dont even want sex like i use to. does anyone knowns how soon they can be removed after delivery.
I had mine removed when they stitched me up after delivery.
I've read all the comments and have read medical advice for pregnant women concerning the fact that HPV can be passed on to their children with warts reoccurring in the throat.  I want you all to know that this has become a rising occurrence upon talking to my ENT and I know personally of one case where the mother had NO warts or outbreaks ever in her life, nor even tested positive for HPV, and it was passed onto to her son who has to have surgery every 2 weeks to remove the warts in his throat with a laser (the precious thing is only 2 years old and has been having these surgeries since he was 1 because his breathing is so effected by the regrowth of the warts---scary isn't it?).  

I would also like to share with you all that I am living proof that HPV can be passed on to your child during vaginal birth and that it is NOT limited to only the throat area.  I remember having warts frozen off my private areas down there, particularly in the anal area, when I was a small girl, probably 5 years old.  Talk about a memory you never forget as a child.  Later in college, I had an outbreak of warts on my legs (not regular looking cauliflower warts like on your hands or feet, but flat slightly raised warts) which my doctor stated were human papilloma virus, however I did not realize what she was talking about, nor cared at that time--I just wanted them gone.  On my 26th birthday, I received the horrifying news that the small raised area in my perineum (area between vaginal and anal openings) was actually HPV, but was assured that many men and women both have it---still didn't make me feel that much better!  A couple of years ago I found out that my father had cheated on my mother in the past (many years ago) and had given her an STD, of which she would not tell me what it was, but did say that it increased her chances of getting cervical cancer----so of course I knew it was HPV and knowing that I had it too, I began to put all the pieces together.  It was passed onto me during delivery due to the sin of my father.  I do not blame my mother because I'm sure in 1978, the research had not been performed to determine the risk of passing HPV on to your child during vaginal delivery.  I know this is long but I wanted to share this with anyone who was concerned for their little one in their belly as I know that I am, since I am pregnant for the first time and 8 weeks along.  I haven't been to my first prenatal visit but I am seriously considering a C-section based on my personal history with HPV.  Also too, I just found 2 raised areas in my pubic area for the first time since I was 26 (I'm now 30), which I'm assuming is due to the change in hormones and my weaker immune system due to the pregnancy.  Hope this helps someone and God bless!
I already have a toddler and am pregnant with my second. When I thought I might be pregnant the second time I was having other issues, my pap was abnormal and I had to have precancerous cells tested and taken care of. Through this process I found out I had HPV. I have never had issues with warts, my doctor didn't say anything to me about ever getting them, and said it wouldn't affect my pregnancy. I wasn't worried about it at all, should I be?
One more question....can HPV be passed to your children if you nurse?
About your pregnancy, I don't know if I would necessarily take the doctor's word that it will not affect your pregnancy.  I'm certainly not trying to scare you but I mentioned (in my last entry) my friend's child having HPV (rapid growing strain of the virus) in his throat which requires him to have surgery every 2 weeks for removal of the lesions/warts to prevent him from suffocating.  I would recommend performing routine checks on yourself down there to ensure that you do not see any warts/lesions that appear during your pregnancy, as well as from this point on given your recent diagnosis of HPV.  As for the internal area, this would have to be thoroughly examined by your doctor on a routine basis or during each of your visits.  As for passing HPV onto your children by breast feeding, I am unsure and I would also like to know if that's possible.  

Just to let you know also, the ENT of my friend's 2 year old has also suggested the possibility of the child receiving HPV from the father, which would mean that their would be a DNA link---scary to think about.  The father is not involved in the child's life so no one even knows for sure if he has HPV but it is likely since mom (my friend) has not tested positive or shown any sign of it.   Again, please know that I am not trying to cause you any undo stress, but I know you are like myself in wanting to protect your child from this virus, so I want to present the facts.  God bless!
I'm nineteen and scared to death for my unborn child please i need advice i have just found out today that i have hpv along with multiple warts on the outside of my vaginal area i've been in tears the last hour and cursing my x who cheated on me can i have a vaginal delivery my doctor didn't stay to talk to me about it because i'm a dhs mom i have no health insurance and use state funded insurance i'm sexually open i have relationships before i have sex i need information i have less than three months until my son is supposed to be here and have no clue what to do.  Please for my stress level and my childs safety i need help
sorry mistyped something up there i meant to say i'm not sexually open or pirmiscious.
I have or had HPV and had a normal vaginal birth.  If during the time of labor they feel like there will be an issue with the warts they will give you a c-section.  I never had visible warts at the time of my birth.  I suggest going to a planned parenthood or a free clinic in your area and go over your concerns.  You may have to wait for a while but at least you will get peace of mind.