Maternal & Child Community
Has anyone else experienced pelvic pain late in pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I keep having these really really sharp pains down in my pelvic region--and starting yesterday I had a lot of pressure and when I laid down I could feel the baby moving really really low also--like between my hips and lower. Could this mean she is getting into position and be born soon? I have a c-section date for Feb 5 but cant shake the feeling that she will come sooner--any ideas?????
It may be, depending on how far along you are, that the baby is dropping which in turns means putting all the stress and pressure on those ligaments and muscles that have yet been untouched OR you could be having braxton hicks.  I just remember all kinds of aches and pains especially in the last 2 weeks before labor. It seems like no matter if were wating for AF or waiting for a baby the 2 week wait is the worse. LOL.
The sad thing is that this is my second child--my first is 13 now--so I have kinda forgotten what pregnancy is like. With him he never dropped and wasnt ready to be born--I had to have a c-section so all of this stuff is really new---It really freaked me out last night to feel punches and movement that low in my pelvic area---even lower than where my c-section scar is--now I am on pins and needles waiting for things to start happening----so yea I agree both of the 2ww is the hardest--- :)
Its definitly common late in pregnancy. Ive been feeling that way a while now and Im almost 37 wks. Baby could be dropping or just getting bigger and having a better reach. I think my baby is just big (not dropped). None of my kids dropped till I was in labor. From what I understand dropping only happens sometimes before labor and usually more common with first pregnancies (before labor)
I, too, am scheduled for a c-section on Feb. 5th.  And I get the same feelings.  My baby's head is in the pelvic area, I can feel it.  They can't move much while transverse like that, so they move their feet, hands, and move from left to right.  But the head, being the biggest and heaviest part will press on the bladder and be kind of painful and also makes it feel like there is movement in the vaginal canal.  Plus, I had a c-section for the last pregnancy 4 years ago, and I think that area might be more sensitive to movement because of the scar tissue.  I had a sharp pain, uterine stretching, this morning that sat me down for a few minutes.  All of my uterine pains are now very low, where before a week or so ago they were up a little bit higher.  So I think Missy is right, we are stretching those yet unstretched uterine muscles.  Not long to go...........

Regards,
Shelly
So I have a due date buddy---what time is your c-section scheduled for? Mine is at 11:30--Are you thinking that you are going to make it to the c-section date?? For some reason I dont think I am but knowing my luck I will. I have even started looking at the tp again when I wipe to see if I have any blood or anything---its so frustrating!!!!!!
I'm scheduled for 8:00am.  That is so funny, because I do the same TP check every time.  I'm checking every contraction, but so far the next one is always an hour later.  Jeez, I thought it was just me....Obsessing as usual.  LOL  Will you be 39 weeks when you have your c-sect?  I will be.  That is why I don't think I'm going to go that long.  Plus, this is my 4th kiddo, all girls.  This one, too.  LOL  Not supposed to have boys, I guess.  

Hold on.........we can do it!! :)

Shelly
I keep having those ice pick stabbing pains way low--like its going through my cervix or something---always have 4 or so and then the last 2 dont come--my doctor said to count those as contractions--I had a morning last week that I had to go in to see the doc because I was having them all morning long and she ckecked me saying everything was closed and fine and sent me home to rest--I think my husband thinks I am crazy(which of course he may be right)---he says I worry about everything but can we really help it???? Yes I will be 39 weeks also--Why cant we be like butterball turkeys and have a self timer that pops up letting us know that its time????? That would be so much easier---:)
Butterball..LOL!  I don't know about the turkey part, but I've got the "butterball" syndrome.  I think rest is a good idea.  Those could be braxton hicks, but I would still be cautious.  Do like you're doing and count them.  I think more than 4 per hour should be reported or painful contractions.  Why are you having a c-section?  I'm having one because I had one last time AND I've got gestational diabetes.  But, even if I didn't have GD, my dr. wasn't comfortable with VBAC.  My oldest daughter is 14, my second is 6 and my baby is 4.  They are all pretty excited, especially the 4 yo, to have a new sister to add to the group.  How does your son feel about his new sibling?

Take care,
Shelly
I had the pains late in my pregnancy that felt like I was being stabbed in the vagina.  My baby was very low, dropped, and in position for birth about 3 months early.  My doctor thought the pains were the pressure of her on my cervix, but I was definitely having contractions that whole time, so it could have been contractions.  My baby was at +1 station that whole time too.  That's one cm lower than the smallest part of the pelvis that the baby passes through.  +4 is crowning.  I walked around that whole time with her basically peeking out. :)  I'm sharing this because the pains could possibly mean that your baby is very low and if they are contractions that would be why you feel them down there instead of in your stomach area sometimes.  But it doesn't mean the baby will come early.
I was schedule for my c-section during my appt. in December.  So, you'll probably find out at your next appt.  If he doesn't say anything about it, just ask.  They scheduled me in December, because the surgical suite gets booked way in advance.  

Shelly
Hey Girls!! I too will have a scheduled c-section. Here is my question. How long ago did you guys schedule your c-sections? I am due at the end of march and am hoping my doc will give me an idea at my next visit so I can arrange childcare for my 3 year old. Thanks Ginger Also about the vbac question, when I got pregnant my doc said new studies have shown that women who have a c-section should now stick with c-section because the complications that can occur with a vaginal birth tend to be much more severe if you have had a previous c-section.
Well, I believe it is because it is a new concept to this Dr.  It is the only clinic in town that delivers babies, only about 8 docs in all.  I got the distinct impression that the thought scared him.  I wish I could have VBAC, I was miserable after my c-section last time.  The clinic is in Juneau, AK.  Modern in all aspects, but medicine is a bit behind the rest of the US, in some respects.  One day VBACs will be the norm.  They do them all the time in Anchorage.  The big problem is that the hospital in Juneau isn't prepared for major traumas like a ruptured uterus.  Traumas like that are medevac'd to Anchorage or Seattle.  That is probably the real reason, bottom line.  That truly is a major trauma in Juneau.

Shelly
WHy isnt your doc comfy with vbac? I was a vbac. I was even induced for the vbac because I had GD. I dont have it this time and I get to go naturally...
Well to answer your question about pains in your pelvic area, I can sympathize with that one.  During the last few weeks of my pregnancy with my last one I felt like he was just gonna stick out his little hand and wave at me.  I wondered if he thought my cervix was a punching bag.  Not much fun at all but I think it's completely normal.  Good luck!
Ahh I see. Yeah I guess they would worry. Well maybe this time around the c-section wont be as bad. My experience was bad because they put me to sleep for it, and I hated comming out of the anestesia.(spelling?) I didnt get a good look at my son till he was 5 hours old. My friend had a scheduled c-section too. (her first was also c-section) She seemed to recover pretty well..
I am having a c-section because my son just didnt want to be born and after 2 days of labor I finally began swelling so they did an emergency c-section. My doctor just put it to me as --Do you really want to go through 12 or more hours of labor just to have a c-section again???? So I figured I would just go ahead and schedule it and know when she will be born. I got to schedule my c-section about 2 or so months early--as far as the date--but I just found out the time at my last appointment.
Yes i also have pelvic pain.  I had a c-section too with my first pregnancy 6 years ago.  I am having another c-section feb. 5th at 9:30 am.  I see that there were a few more haing there babies by c-section the same day. : )  ive been finding it hard to walk lately...it hurts every step i take.  And i cant sit too long either...so I CANT WIN !  : )  Well 2 weeks and 4 days and My baby boy will be here...providing i dont go into labor before..but i dont think i will.  Well night ladies im exhausted..im going to TRY to go to sleep..sometimes its hard...lol.

my baby dropped to a +2 at about 30 weeks so needless to say i know the feeling of pelvic pain. sometimes sharp pains in your cervix are dilation.i had these pains with my first son and dilated to a 2 long before giving birth. with this pregnancy i have dilated to a 1. sometimes i think this is due to the baby's head being engaged so low that his head causes pressure on the cervix thus dilation. for the lady whose dr is unwilling to even attempt a vbac i am sorry. the risk of a uterine rupture is 1% and goes up to 2% when induction drugs are used. i was in pretty much the same position myself with this pregnancy and took a very consumer approach to finding a caregiver-my first dr in seattle did'nt want to do a vbac but i found a midwife who worked in a hospital (i live in las vegas now. she was willing to attempt a vbac but many women are afraid to vbac and she just did'nt do enough. so i finally shopped around and found a midwife who has practiced for 23 years, delivered 2000 babies and had one c-section and zero unsucessful vbacs. i firmly believe it is every womans right to have the birth experience they want and not to have drs convince them their bodies are incapable of a natural process such as birth. having said that i hope good luck to everyone and who knows i may not get my vbac in the end either.
I am 35 weeks and at my last doctors appt. last week, I told the doctor that my baby dropped and I felt her in my pelvis. I am a very small person so I feel everything. She didn't believe me cause it's my first baby and she thought I didn't know what I was talking about. So I had her check me and believe it or not I wasn't lying. She is very low. Low to the point that when she checked me she felt her head. I guess the doctor was shocked that I knew what was going on.  I also felt her move into postion at 30 weeks. I am having contractions and very bad pelvic and back pain. Do you guys think I'm going to go soon. I hope so, I can't take the pain in my back anymore.

Tricia
Hello everyone I am 29 weeks pregnant and I have been having alot of pains and pressure in my pelvic and some type of discharge and occasionally I get this pain were my stomach mussles get real tight and pelvic muscles and feels like hes moving down. What could this be? Is this real contractions? Or braxton Hicks?