Maternal & Child Community
Haven't Been Able To Eat For Months...Just Founds Out I'm Pre...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Haven't Been Able To Eat For Months...Just Founds Out I'm Pregnant. HELP!

Starting in October 2011 (five months ago), I developed a severe problem with my throat overnight.  Sharp pains, inability to eat or drink (even water), constant constricted feeling, inability to swallow, sneeze, cough, burp, hiccup, etc.  I've had multiple tests and have seen at least 10 doctors...still have no answers.  

I've lost 55 lbs (half of that in the last 6 weeks) and am still shrinking.  I lost my period months ago (doctors said it was because I wasn't eating), but did have two pregnancy blood tests...the last one being in December…just to be on the safe side (even though I’m on the pill).   So I do know pregnancy isn’t responsible for starting this condition.

I'm seeing a new ENT and was scheduled for a Barium Swallow test today.  He believes I have some kind of muscle condition in my throat that has caused silent acid reflux since I have many symptoms NOT  related to acid reflux.  Since I don’t get periods anymore, they had me do a blood test…and much to my surprise, I found out I’m pregnant.  My HCG level is 108,000…which I guess is supposed to be around 7 – 8 weeks?  This is my first pregnancy ever.

I’m VERY worried (to the point of feeling panicked) because of my throat/food complications.  I can’t do any more tests for my throat to find the cause because of the pregnancy.  And I’m still not eating.  I live off of water and fruit smoothies.  Sometimes I can’t even handle the smoothies.  On the good days, I’m able to have a jar of pureed baby food (but I choke while I eat).  I’ve been losing weight and pant sizes like crazy and it seems to be picking up the pace lately.  I’ve been worried about my own nutrition and now I’m even more worried about this causing complications to the baby’s health.

I spent the afternoon calling OBGYN’s and everyone is booked or not accepting new patients.  I have an appointment for April 2 nd (two and a half weeks from now)…which is the earliest I could get in…even after explaining my situation over and over.  I couldn’t even get answer as to if I should continue taking the high dosage of Prilosec I’ve been on for the last 4 months.  I’m so worried about having to wait so much time to find out about medication, vitamins, and diet.  

My husband and I have been wanting to get pregnant for years, but just stopped trying 5 months ago when this mystery throat issue popped up.  I was on the pill…apparently it didn’t work…lol.  And it’s so hard to be happy about this pregnancy because of this problem with eating.  Our families would be so happy…they’ve been bothering us for years about a baby…but it’s so hard to be super happy since I’m so scared this cannot be a healthy pregnancy.  

I don’t know when (or IF) I’ll ever get an answer to what’s going on with my throat…I’ve been feeling like I’m dying  for months for the lack of food.  It effects every aspect of my life and I have no energy because I don’t have any calories going in.  Luckily I’m still overweight…but only about 15 pounds overweight.  Not sure how much more my body can take.  Or how long I’ll continue losing.  Or how little I can eat to safely feed a baby.  

I’m so worried and have grown used to being pessimistic with this mystery throat illness, but now that there’s another life involved, I’m freaking out quite a bit and feel like I’m getting lost in the healthcare system.  Not sure if there are any words of advice anyone  can offer.  Maybe someone can tell me if they’re taking Prilosec while pregnant.  I was on 80 mg from November through February.  

Then bumped myself down to 40 mg because it doesn’t seem to be helping and I’m worried about taking it that long.  I’m still on 40 mg and have noticed a slight improvement...I no longer have the constant constricted feeling and I am able to sneeze and burp on some days.  Still unable to eat though.  I have an appointment with my ENT in a week…and my new OBGYN in 2 and a half weeks…but I’m hoping to calm that nagging voice in my head a little somehow…
If you have not already, start today putting one ground-up prenatal and one extra folic acid in your smoothie every day.  You need the folic acid especially.  I would also talk to a massage therapist on the off chance that something is happening to cause your throat muscles to spasm.

If you are still overweight, there is no harm yet to the baby (unless it is from the lack of folic acid in your diet).  Talk to the ob-gyn about what might happen if you get below your ideal weight, and still can't eat.

Have you also been trying the calorie drinks like Ensure?
ps -- also look up "Prilosec side effects," either on the Prilosec website or just google the term.  Some of what is ailing you now might be from the Prilosec instead of from the original problem.