Maternal & Child Community
Heartburn! 6 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heartburn! 6 weeks

My husband and I just found out that we are 6w pg and since we found out last Thursday I have been noticing bad heartburn, I have read a little on it and things say small meals, but its not going away no matter what I do. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I am a little nervous as this is my first and I dont know what to expect!
An old wife would tell you to expect a baby with TONS AND TONS of hair!
I feel your pain!  I had terrible heartburn, mostly at night when trying to sleep.  When TUMS wasn't enough, my doctor told me that Prilosec was safe.  It was expensive but totally worth it!!  It's hard enough to get a good nights sleep when you're pregnant but add heartburn to it and...ugh!  Double whammy!

My doctor also said that if Prilosec didn't work that Nexium was also approved for pregnancy although it is even MORE expensive.  I'm glad the Prilosec worked for me.  It's not immediate relief like TUMS, but if taken daily it really helps to prevent heartburn.

Thankfully my heartburn went away after DD was born!

Good luck!
Amy
Thank you for your responses! My husband actually said that to me and I was like the baby doesnt even have hair yet- what are you talking about!?

I was weary about tums and wasnt sure whether it was safe or not but here at work its killing me and the taste is the awful part of it! I cant stand it, I feel like I cant talk to people unless I have a mint in my mouth.

Thanks again! I love this forum- especially since with this being my first I have so many questions!
Tums are fine. I actually just saw something on a pregnancy sight saying tums are good for pregnant women just because of the calcium. On a good side, I experienced heartburn early on and havent had it since and am now 35 weeks so maybe it will go away instead of get worse like it did for me :) I also had an u/s about 3 weeks ago and the tech said she does have hair!! So I guess maybe it's true lol! Good luck and congrats on the baby!!
I get acid reflus a lot normally (acid reflux and heartburn are the same thing as far as most doctors are conerned). When I got pregnant early this year, I started getting it a lot more than usual though. And then at about 20 weeks, it started getting so much worse than I've ever had it before. Me personally, I didn't take anything at all during the first trimester just because I was paranoid. But Once I was into the 2nd trimester I have jsut been taking TUMS when it gets bad. I know my doctor told me there are things over the counter that  are safe to take anytime during pregnancy. TUMS is safe anytime (I can't remember the other things, but I'm sure your doctor could tell you). They tell pregnant women the same things they tell anyone else with heartburn/acid reflux: eat smaller meals, don't eat too late, don't eat spicy foods, etc. But honestly, I dont know how much it really helps during pregnancy, sometimes these things just happen,, there's not much to prevent it.
Enjoy!!!  I eat them like crazy, but have to be careful of the flavors, some are better than others.  Good luck at your appt., that's so exciting!
I had heartburn with my dd & now with this preg. It is so bad sometimes!! I live on TUMS! I have to take them before I go bed! Also try to drink a glass of Milk with your meals, That seems to help too.
I just wanted to add that Tums have extra calcium.  My Dr. encouraged me to take them with my son.  After the heartburn got too bad, I got a prescription for Aciphex and it worked great.  May have to do the same thing again.  The heartburn is bad and the Tums don't work well for me anymore, plus they make me naseaous.  Hope you are feeling better, and congrats!
Thank you both!! I appreciate it I am very excited and I am creating a mental list of everything to ask my doctor tomorrow, and I am going to buy the bulk of tums tonight!!!
All that worked for me is milk, or a shake.
OK- well I dont want to scare anyone here but Ive ALWAYS had heartburn with all my pregnancies (3) and it got downright ugly sometimes. I guess my cravings for spicy foods didnt help either but here is what I have gone through and learned over the years. With my 2nd my husband told me that a little bit of Arm & Hammer baking soda mixed with water- a little more than like a shot will do the trick- works great so I tried it and BAM! instant heartburn relief. The down side to that was the high levels of sodium- duhhhh so I ended up with toxcemia and had ankles the size of my thighs!! So, my last bought with heartburn came as usual with my daughter so I was sticking with the Tums but I had bought the economy size of the Tums w/ calcium. Although it subsided my heartburn I ended getting a kidney stone my 9th month! And let me tell you- with having experienced both labor/delivery and a kidneystone- I say the stone was worse pain. So yes ladies- any of us know any men/husbands that have had a stone- it IS the closest thing a man will EVER feel to what we go through during delivery. As far as what to do for the heartburn, milk is a good one, I also took vitamin b12 with my son and that helped but ask your doctor if its OK to have that much in your system. Also bread sometimes work but the Tums is the best bet just stay away from the ones with calcium LOL. If ned be- I would try the baking soda on a very seldom basis since its very effective, liek as soon as you swallow it almost but just as a precaution I wouldnt take it often. Best wishes~