Maternal & Child Community
Heaviness of period after m/c....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Heaviness of period after m/c....

I was just wondering if it was normal to have a light or heavy period following a miscarriage....I had a complete miscarriage on July 7, bled extremely heavily for 7 days, then immediately began ttc.  I started some very light bleeding on August 10 and it only lasted 3 days.  My normal periods (I've never missed one) usually last 5 days -- 3 days of moderately heavy bleeding and 2 of very light. Is this normal after a miscarriage? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I m/c on July 19 and bled for 7days and ttc very soon after. How ever I have not seen af yet. My periods were so irregular to begin with so maybe that is my problem or mybe I preg. again. I'll find out tomarrow at my dr. app. Anyway my question to you.. have you been back to the doctor for a one month check up? Were your periods normal before?
I have not been back to the doctor as I have no health insurance right now. To answer your other question, my periods have always been VERY regular up until now.
First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. After a miscarriage your periods could be irregular for up to 4 months, taking maybe longer if you had a natural miscarriage. Natural miscarriages take a bit longer to get back to normal periods than D&C's (I have read). My period took about 4 cycles to regulate. Sit tight, I know it difficult to lose a baby, but your body needs time to heal to give you a healthy one next time. Though I have to say, it is possible to get PG before the next cycle. The only way to know is to take a test. Good luck.

April
Well, first of all sorry about your loss. I had a m/c in May and my cycle came on in June and it was regular. In July, it cam on for one day. I have been going back and forwards to the doctor to see what is going on. I went today and he told me that it is going to take a while before your hormones return back to normal after a miscarriage. I hope this helped you out.
thanks so much for the input guys, it helped to answer some of my questions.  we're going to continue ttc and hope for the best. lots of baby dust to all of you!
~Kendra :-)
uuhh..little concerned here. I had a m/c July 11th (d/c the 12th) and that was it. My dr. hasn't called,set up any folluw-up or appts.,no blood work.I wonder why u all had such follow-up.?? I haven't had a pd yet I don't think. Also ttc right away.One other thing about my OB ( a little off track)- I'm a vegetarian, I eat lots of tofu and soy products like vege burgers. My personal trainer asked if my OB knew how much soy I was taking in as it's a natural estrogen. My dr. never asked nor warned me about soy- anyone heard of this? Doubt it caused m/c but,heck, u never know!!
I'm really worried too - I had a d/c for an incomplete miscarriage July 29th and have started my first period last night (Aug 31).  I'm changing my tampon (Super) every 1 1/2 hours.  My periods have never been heavy like this - has anyone experienced bleeding this heavy after their d/c?